Truck/Car gun thoughts

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

hirundo82
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Truck/Car gun thoughts

Post by hirundo82 »

Tallinthesaddle wrote:If I was going to leave my firearm in my truck 24 hours a day, I would buy something like a used Ruger P89 or P95. It is better to lose a $300 pistol than a $1,200 HK or AR.
I use a Sig P6 for this. It is a quality, reliable gun but if it were to get stolen (I keep it in a car safe when I'm not in the car of course, but stuff happens) I'm only out $250.

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Post by anygunanywhere »

I often have a truck/vehicle handgun handy since often drawing the one I am carrying is cumbersome at best. My firearm acquisition plan is for one of those Judges loaded with .410 buckshot.

When Mrs. Anygun and I ditty-bop on a road trip somewhere I either have an evil black shootgun full of buckshot or a tricked up Ruger Mini-14 with a 30 round magazine in place. I never leave the long guns in the vehicle overnight while traveling. Given that most of our road trips are in the Hill Country, other hotel guests or RV park residents (if we are RVing) often are treated to the sight of me bringing my preciouses into our quarters.

The last time we were in Fredericksburg for the Hill COuntry Tour of Homes we were checking into the Hampton Inn. A couple from the Land of Lincoln, the not-so-great (at least from a 2A perspective) state of Illinois was walking in and took a long look at us as we walked up to the hotel. I had the shootgun in a nice case draped in my arm along as I sauntered along. I asked Mr. Illinois if he had brought his along.

As the elevator door closed Mrs. Anygun asked me if I was enjoying myself and I answered in the affirmative.

While we were driving from Fredericksburg to Kerrville the suburban had a flat tire. We were on the side of the road with the back open. SWMBO was supervising my attempt to perform a NASCAR grade tire change on the suburban.The shotgun was in plain view in the back. A Fredericksburg LEO pulled up, got out, walked up, and offered assistance as I was deciphering the jack directions along with the spare tire hoist setup. The subject of the shotgun never came up. He bade us a good day and assured us he would come by later to make certain we made a successful tire change.

Mrs. Anygun thought it was quite amusing.

I love Texas.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

gigag04 wrote:I always purge my truck of weapons at night. I've taken way too many burglary of a vehicle reports to be comfortable otherwise.
I agree. Taking my shotgun out of the car is just part of my routine. Don't provide an AK to your neighborhood thugs by leaving it in the car.

Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

cbr600

Post by cbr600 »

RPB wrote:I SOOOO understand that question , asked myself that before many times over more than 30 years of Glocking, TESTED a LOT, SPENT a LOT... and so lemme explain.
Some time around the turn of the century, I worked with a guy who chopped the butt on his Glock 22 to match the G23 (or maybe the G27 - either way, shorter) for enhanced concealment IWB. He carried with a primary magazine to match the new grip length, but reloads were full-length G22 magazines.
I'd never heard of someone going the other direction, so I was curious. Thanks for the explanation. :tiphat:

jcarp02

Post by jcarp02 »

doc540 wrote:
Tallinthesaddle wrote:An alarm system, lock box, and parking in a unobstructed space would help. If a burgler wants to steal something, they will try their hardest. They have nothing else to do. If I was going to leave my firearm in my truck 24 hours a day, I would buy something like a used Ruger P89 or P95. It is better to lose a $300 pistol than a $1,200 HK or AR.
And even better to lose a $175 PA-63. ;-)
Just a thought....I haven't checked into this yet to see if it applies to handguns, but most insurance companies offer floater policies to insure certain valuables. I have all of my guitars, amps and equipment (about $7,000 worth) insured under this type of policy and I think it runs me somewhere in the neighborhood of $35/year. I realize that you don't want a bunch of guns registered in your name being carried around by criminals because they were taken out of your car, but I'm just speaking from a money-loss standpoint. May be worth checking with your local insurance agent.

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

My father keeps a SMLE in his truck. It's inexpensive and enough gun for most 2 and 4 legged beasts in Texas. If someone breaks into his truck, they might steal the SMLE and try to sell it to a pawn shop or on Craig's list, but it probably won't be used to rob a convenience store.
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

Weg

Post by Weg »

I keep a .30 carbine under the seat with a trigger lock on it, never been stolen in 20 years. I keep my Glock 30 in a console vault when not carrying it.

rbrecount

Post by rbrecount »

I like the idea of non-identity. When I have to leave my carry in the van, it's locked away out of sight amongst the trash on the floor. I have no 'truck gun'. No stickers or slogans, icons, etc.
Ancient Airman
USN,WW II,Korea
Taurus pt 111
Taurus 24/7 PRO D/S
S&W 642-2 snubbie

maxlib

Post by maxlib »

A wise man once said; “A handgun is for fighting your way to your rifle which you shouldn't have put down in the first place".
“No, that is the great fallacy; the wisdom of old men. They do not grow wise. They grow careful”. Count Greffi, A Farewell To Arms, Ernest Hemmingway

Topic author
RECIT
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RECIT »

maxlib wrote:A wise man once said; “A handgun is for fighting your way to your rifle which you shouldn't have put down in the first place".
I agree!
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

glbedd53

Post by glbedd53 »

Get those NRA stickers off your vehicle. That's probably good advice. I just scraped mine off.

XinTX

Post by XinTX »

mrvmax wrote:Buy what you want and leave it in the truck, if you are an NRA member then register for the free insurance. If it get stolen, buy another one. I'm not saying to be irresponsible, but I am saying that I no longer worry about a gun in my vehicle getting stolen, that is why I have insurance.
Only problem with that is that before, you just had a BG. After the burgalary you have and armed BG.
“Public safety is always the first cry of the tyrant.” - Lord Gladstone

doc540
Posts in topic: 3

Post by doc540 »

I'm swapping car guns again.

I sold the PA-63 yesterday and bought a CZ82 to replace it with.

It's always some kind of tradeoff and compromise, so now it's 13 rounds of Makarov hollowpoints in a dependable, relatively accurate, and inexpensive gun for the car.

I'm sure I'll mess with it somehow and paint the grips or something.

Great hobby we have, isn't it? :thumbs2:
http://www.train2shoot.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Lifetime Member
NRA Instructor
"Shooting more, typing less"

jdhz28

Post by jdhz28 »

Get those NRA stickers off your vehicle. That's probably good advice. I just scraped mine off.
So what about my sticker that says "The Obama sticker on your car might as well say yes, I'm just that stupid"????? I guess I should remove it too, but windshields are still cheap. :patriot:
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

doc540

Post by doc540 »

Sold the CZ82 and may have found the perfect "truck gun" for my needs.

Ladies and gentlemen, the $200, 1600fps/500fp Ruskie:

(don't fret, I have it strapped in at half cock and not relying on the afterthought-of-a-safety)

Loaded with 10 HP's and with a foot-long muzzle flash it might prove to be a deterrent to foolish men with evil intentions.
http://www.train2shoot.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Lifetime Member
NRA Instructor
"Shooting more, typing less"

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”