for those who carry glocks

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Vandelay Ind.
Posts in topic: 3

for those who carry glocks

Post by Vandelay Ind. »

In your carry pistol, do you prefer the factory trigger connector or the 3.5lb?
I have the 3.5lb in my G17 (go to war gun) but still have factory connector in the G26 carry gun. Everyone says you dont want a light trigger pull in a carry gun because under stress you cant feel it anyway yada yada yada. I like the feel of the G17 and there is a big difference between the two.
The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli -George Costanza

gigag04
Posts in topic: 1

Re: for those who carry glocks

Post by gigag04 »

If you like it who's to argue with you?

My roommate works for an agency that puts NY triggers in their Glocks due to liability. It is a bear to shoot. It is +/- 10lbs.

practice proper firearm handling and you should be fine. In combat stress, poor training will lead to NDs with a 40lb trigger just as fast as a 2lb trigger. The difference is negligible to an adrenaline filled CNS.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Rugrash
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rugrash »

I keep the factory trigger but replace the sights and install an extended mag release (Vickers).

Topic author
Vandelay Ind.

Post by Vandelay Ind. »

Rugrash wrote:I keep the factory trigger but replace the sights and install an extended mag release (Vickers).

will be nice to see him again. cant wait till feb
The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli -George Costanza

Rugrash
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rugrash »

Vandelay Ind. wrote:
Rugrash wrote:I keep the factory trigger but replace the sights and install an extended mag release (Vickers).

will be nice to see him again. cant wait till feb
You taking the AK class in College Station??

Topic author
Vandelay Ind.

Post by Vandelay Ind. »

No. My bad, thought vickers meant something else

A-R
Posts in topic: 5

Post by A-R »

I run the OEM Glock 3.5-lb connector in all my Glocks for consistency's sake.

remington79
Posts in topic: 4

Post by remington79 »

I've been happy with the factory trigger. I haven't seen a need to go to the 3.5.
Sent to you from Galt's Gulch.

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

gigag04 wrote:If you like it who's to argue with you?

My roommate works for an agency that puts NY triggers in their Glocks due to liability. It is a bear to shoot. It is +/- 10lbs.
There's 2 NY triggers, actually. The "NY-1" is more in the 6-8lbs category, depending on the connector you use (The NY-2 you refer to is 10-12lbs). All my Glocks have a 3.5lb connector and a NY-1 trigger.

You can find lots of discussion about how the trigger spring/connector/firing pin configuration affects pull and trigger break, as well as reset. Frankly, I"m not even _certain_ that they NY-1/3.5 connector is a better configuration than factory standard, but it's what I train with, so I keep everything consistent. I kinda like the snappier feel of the trigger reset too.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

On carry and Home Defense guns, I keep factory triggers, I owned two 17L models with the light trigger, didn't make that big a difference to me.

I considered replacing all my Glocks triggers with heavy NY triggers, which might be even better in Court, since they were designed for the P.D.

But I decided to leave them alone, rather than potential be accused of "altering the design to have a 'hair trigger' leading to a potential 'accidental/negligent' charge rather than intentional self-defense if I replaced the standard parts with a "lighter" trigger.

All the triggers work well enough for me if they function correctly.

I put on better sights (Advantage Tactical) and sometimes a laser, sometimes an extended barrel for a tad more accuracy+velocity.

For guns reserved only for competition or such, I'd have no qualms swapping out triggers and parts. But, that's just how I think, YMMV.

I'd use whatever works best and is most accurate and safest for you, and if you ever have to bring up the issue in Court, state that you preferred accuracy so as not to injure innocents, and being alive, so you had your pistol improved for safety or something.... I'm not a lawyer, but I'm sure prosecutors tried this stuff before and it's probably research-able, probably Ayoob ran into it when testifying before I imagine, if you research it.
Last edited by RPB on Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

While I know many who change out triggers on Glocks, I read little of such with XD's, Sigs, etc.

Why is that?

Anyone know - Parts availability or ...?

ac-mech

Post by ac-mech »

+1 for new york one and 3.5 connector....

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Abraham wrote:While I know many who change out triggers on Glocks, I read little of such with XD's, Sigs, etc.

Why is that?

Service Depts and gunsmiths need jobs too :mrgreen:
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

shootthesheet

Post by shootthesheet »

I think defensive handguns should not be changed. It is just like a Stuff HTF rifle. Don't change what has been proven to work reliably. I can see if for hunting or target guns but not for something I am relying on to save my life.
http://gunrightsradio.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A-R
Posts in topic: 5

Post by A-R »

RPB wrote:
Abraham wrote:While I know many who change out triggers on Glocks, I read little of such with XD's, Sigs, etc.

Why is that?

Service Depts and gunsmiths need jobs too :mrgreen:
Basic Glock trigger work is as simple as swapping out one $15 OEM or aftermarket part (connector) or perhaps spring (the "NY1" and "NY2" others have mentioned. Most any owner can do this - breaking down a Glock to it's smallest parts is very simple compared to most pistols; only one tool - 3/16" punch - is really needed. There are some more complicated tuning tricks, but most feel these are unnecessary for anything but a strictly competition gun. In addition to simplicity, Glock parts are cheap and readily available.

By contrast Springfield XDs, Smith & Wesson M&P, Sig etc usually require some gunsmith work to tune triggers. Buddy of mine and forum member spent over $100 sending an XD to Springer Precision for trigger work. M&P can be tuned with Apex parts, which are more expensive ($35 - $100+ depending on what you want) and borderline owner installable - I installed them in mine, but doing so pushed me close to the limits of my comfort level.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”