Carrying gun not registered in your name.

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
jafreaka
Posts in topic: 2

Carrying gun not registered in your name.

Post by jafreaka »

First off I want to thank everyone for answering my past questions.
I'm glad theres is a place to go to get all of my CHL questions answered from what seems to be very knowledgeable people.

Anyways, I've read the rules on carrying and using deadly force front to back and I've always understood it to be if it's not written down then it's not a law.

On to my question.

Is there a law on carrying a gun not registered in your name. I did not come across this or I overlooked it if it was addressed.

Thanks!

Winchster
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Carrying gun not registered in your name.

Post by Winchster »

Texas does not have gun registration laws. There is no such thing as "in your name" in Texas.
What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw »

Winchster wrote:Texas does not have gun registration laws. There is no such thing as "in your name" in Texas.
:iagree: No registration in Texas! :nono: :rules:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
jafreaka

Post by jafreaka »

if I were to buy a gun from a friend or a person other than an FFL dealer the gun doesn't need to be registered in my name. Is that correct?

Winchster

Post by Winchster »

jafreaka wrote:if I were to buy a gun from a friend or a person other than an FFL dealer the gun doesn't need to be registered in my name. Is that correct?
There is NO registration in Texas.
If you buy a gun from me, it is now yours. There is no place to report the change to since there is no requirement for registration.
What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?

cougartex

Post by cougartex »

That is correct, Texas does not have registration of firearms. If you purchase from an FFL dealer you must fill out form 4473.

Information on form 4473.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Form_4473" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cougars are shy, reclusive, and downright mysterious... :txflag:

txcshooter

Post by txcshooter »

What is the purpose then for filling out form 4473?
Taurus G2s, Rossi .22lr rifle, Mossberg 20ga p/a
"If guns kill people, then spoons make people fat!" -unknown

Winchster

Post by Winchster »

txcshooter wrote:What is the purpose then for filling out form 4473?
It is for the over reaching federal government to establish their database and exert their "authority" over us.

txcshooter

Post by txcshooter »

Thanks Winchester, thats exactly what I thought. A gun registration in disguise. ...Because hypothetically speaking, if i were to lay my gun down somewhere, wouldnt they be able to trace it back to me?
Taurus G2s, Rossi .22lr rifle, Mossberg 20ga p/a
"If guns kill people, then spoons make people fat!" -unknown

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Don't you just love Texas.

My understanding the gun dealer keeps all the records, but they are not sent or put in any database. If your gun is never used in a crime and recovered, there is no reason for the information on the forms to be ever looked at by anyone. I suspect if in the future, a government could require that all that old information be sent somewhere and put in a database. But the political climate would have to be a lot different than it is now.

My favorite line from the movie "Red Dawn" is when the Communist Col. asks his men to search the gun records to find the gun owners in town. I think they end up executing the owner of the gun store because he does not have records on the hunting rifles he gives the kids, when they come in for supplies.

Some people do not believe in CHL because this tells the government you have a gun in your possession.

Thus if you are worried about these things, you dont have a CHL and all your guns are direct cash person to person sales. And I guess the person you buy from shouldn't know you either, as your friend could crack under torture to give up your name.
Last edited by philip964 on Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Winchster

Post by Winchster »

It's not so hypothetical. It could be traced back to you if you are the original purchaser.
Now, in theory they aren't supposed to keep a compiled record but some of us tin hat wearers think they do anyway.

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

philip964 wrote:My understanding the gun dealer keeps all the records, but they are not sent or put in any database. If your gun is never used in a crime and recovered, there is no reason for the information on the forms to be ever looked at by anyone. I suspect if in the future, a government could require that all that old information be sent somewhere and put in a database. But the political climate would have to be a lot different than it is now.
And the flammable materials storage location at certain shops would have to be farther from the completed 4473 storage location. ;-)

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

The dealer is required to retain the forms for 20 years and they are required to send those forms in should they go out of business. So the idea of the government getting those forms isn't too far fetched.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Mr.ViperBoa

Post by Mr.ViperBoa »

There is no telling how far big brother reaches. I have always thought maybe they want us to have chl's so they know who to come to first to seize weapons. Who knows.
Christian/Family man
Veteran
CHL Instructor
http://www.texaschlsolutions.com/

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Mr.ViperBoa wrote:There is no telling how far big brother reaches. I have always thought maybe they want us to have chl's so they know who to come to first to seize weapons. Who knows.
I thought Big Brother was the Feds? The CHL program is a state thing.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”