Purchasing a Gun with CHL

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
jafreaka
Posts in topic: 1

Purchasing a Gun with CHL

Post by jafreaka »

Does purchasing a gun move any faster with a CHL?
I've never had a problem buying a gun, normally smoothl transaction, but was curious if have a CHL moves the process along any faster.

Thanks!

Pete92FS

Re: Purchasing a Gun with CHL

Post by Pete92FS »

You still have to fill out the paperwork but they don't have to call it in.
CHL since 01/26/09

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

:iagree:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pawpaw »

:iagree: :iagree: ... and there's absolutely no reason to put your So-So Security number on the form. :evil2:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Yup! You get to skip the 4473 form - background check. You still complete it (I think**), but they don't have to call and wait.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

gigag04 wrote:Yup! You get to skip the 4473 form - background check. You still complete it (I think**), but they don't have to call and wait.
You're right. Still gotta do the paperwork, just don't have to wait on the check.
TANSTAAFL

Griffen

Post by Griffen »

74novaman wrote:
gigag04 wrote:Yup! You get to skip the 4473 form - background check. You still complete it (I think**), but they don't have to call and wait.
You're right. Still gotta do the paperwork, just don't have to wait on the check.
:iagree: What they don't tell you is that it raises your testosterone too. So you walk out a little heavier and hairier... :smilelol5:
Lifetime NRA Member
Member Texas Firearms Coalition

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress. -John Adams

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

jafreaka wrote:Does purchasing a gun move any faster with a CHL?
I've never had a problem buying a gun, normally smoothl transaction, but was curious if have a CHL moves the process along any faster. Thanks!
Please be aware, that even though it is not required, there are a few places that still phone it in. They either don't know the law or it's "Company Policy".
NRA Endowment Member

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

WildBill wrote:
jafreaka wrote:Does purchasing a gun move any faster with a CHL?
I've never had a problem buying a gun, normally smoothl transaction, but was curious if have a CHL moves the process along any faster. Thanks!
Please be aware, that even though it is not required, there are a few places that still phone it in. They either don't know the law or it's "Company Policy".
If any place tried that on me I would register my disapproval by tearing up the form. They can be "PC" with someone else's money.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

QB
Posts in topic: 3

Post by QB »

I haven't run across that yet but as current holder of a TXCHL, I wouldn't deal with anyone who has a company policy of calling in my info. One of my perks for having a CHL. Dealers can of course conduct their business any way they want but I also have the choice of who I do business with.
"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."~~ Tpr. M. Padgett

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Yep, absolutely no need to do the NICS check with a CHL. Makes the transaction go a whole lot faster.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

Its fun to walk in, choose firearm, fill out the 4473, pay, walk out. It becomes an epic adventure when there's an somewhat anti-gun reporter there to witness it while an off duty police officer in uniform is waiting for his proceed from the feds. However it's truly classic when the officer explains to her that you are exempted from the federal background and he is not.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

WildBill wrote:
QB wrote:I haven't run across that yet but as current holder of a TXCHL, I wouldn't deal with anyone who has a company policy of calling in my info. One of my perks for having a CHL. Dealers can of course conduct their business any way they want but I also have the choice of who I do business with.
Pawpaw wrote:If any place tried that on me I would register my disapproval by tearing up the form. They can be "PC" with someone else's money.
When buying a gun at Academy Sports-Outdoors or other large chain store, many people will sacrifice the extra time for the NICS check if it saves them $20-50 on the price of a gun.
NRA Endowment Member

QB
Posts in topic: 3

Post by QB »

I purchased two guns from Cabelas and they didn't do a NIC check. But that was a year or so ago. Can't speak for Bass Pro or Academy as they've never had any guns that I could purchase that were less than other dealers. Still, if Bass Pro or Academy requires a NIC check on someone with a TXCHL then I won't bother even checking with them on gun prices. But that's just me.
"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."~~ Tpr. M. Padgett

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

its pretty speedy at gander mountain

fil out form, pay and take merchandise

i love it, especially if you buy multiple firearms during that visit
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”