Recommended Guns

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Recommended Guns

Post by The Annoyed Man »

dalto wrote:There is no reason why you cannot carry an XD 9mm. I know several people that do.

A good IWB will easily conceal that gun.
Agree.

You describe yourself as 5'9" and 180 lb. You should have no trouble concealing your XD. Many of us successfully carry and conceal full sized pistols from all sorts of manufacturers. The secret (for all sizes of guns) is that you'll have to make some adjustments to the way you dress. This has been true for most of us. But that said, a compact version of your XD will conceal quite easily. Ditto for compact Glocks, M&Ps, 1911s, etc., etc. Mine are a 1911 and an M&P.

If pocket carry is your game, then either the LCP or the P3AT Keltech would serve you well, although .380 is sort of a minimum for self-defense. Just as popular in pocket pistols, very nearly as easy to conceal as the LCP Et al, are the J-frame sized alloy framed revolvers. There are a number of fine examples by various manufacturers, including the Ruger LCR. .38 Special +P is a better choice for self defense than .380. Personally, I pocket carry a scandium framed S&W .357 magnum. Lots of horsepower in a very light and easily concealable package.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Dan20703

Post by Dan20703 »

dalto wrote:There is no reason why you cannot carry an XD 9mm. I know several people that do.

Very good advice. You might want to spend less than your mentioned budget on a good IWB holster. It could be all you need.
There will always be prayer in schools as long as there are tests.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Weg

My carry evolution

Post by Weg »

When I first got my CHL I decided to carry a Walther PPK in .380 because I wanted something easy to conceal. After a while I decided I needed something more powerful, but still just as easy to conceal, so I got an SW Airweight in .38. After a while I decided I needed something even more powerful and started carrying a Taurus PT 140 in .40 SW. After a while I decided I needed something more powerful, and currently carry a Glock 30 in .45 auto. After all of this, i can conceal my Glock just as easy as my PPK with the same clothing utilizing different carry methods, i.e. wearing a vest, or using a crossbreed super tuck. That was my evolution, and better yet, I still have all the guns.

terryg
Posts in topic: 3

Post by terryg »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Personally, I pocket carry a scandium framed S&W .357 magnum. Lots of horsepower in a very light and easily concealable package.
<hijack> BTW, I'd still like to test fire that hand canon at the next forum day if your willing. :mrgreen: </hijack>
... this space intentionally left blank ...

A-R
Posts in topic: 2

Post by A-R »

The Annoyed Man wrote:

Agree.

You describe yourself as 5'9" and 180 lb. You should have no trouble concealing your XD. Many of us successfully carry and conceal full sized pistols from all sorts of manufacturers. The secret (for all sizes of guns) is that you'll have to make some adjustments to the way you dress. This has been true for most of us. But that said, a compact version of your XD will conceal quite easily. Ditto for compact Glocks, M&Ps, 1911s, etc., etc. Mine are a 1911 and an M&P.

If pocket carry is your game, then either the LCP or the P3AT Keltech would serve you well, although .380 is sort of a minimum for self-defense. Just as popular in pocket pistols, very nearly as easy to conceal as the LCP Et al, are the J-frame sized alloy framed revolvers. There are a number of fine examples by various manufacturers, including the Ruger LCR. .38 Special +P is a better choice for self defense than .380. Personally, I pocket carry a scandium framed S&W .357 magnum. Lots of horsepower in a very light and easily concealable package.
Very good advice here. Pick up a quality IWB holster for your XD and carry it.

If you still want/need a pocket gun, then an LCP or P3AT would work. So would a snub-nose revolver like Ruger LCR or Smith J-frame.

But as has already been said, try before you buy if at all possible. Let us know where you're located and someone here on the forum is likely in your area and willing to let you put some rounds down range from one of the many choices available here.

And just remember, pocket carry of a small, lightly powered gun is for convenience and when nothing else will work. Depending on your lifestyle, you may need this deep concealment more often than others. If you do, then be certain that you PRACTICE with your pocket gun just as much as your XD. Practice drawing and dryfiring in front of a mirror at home (with an UNLOADED gun of course - all ammo locked up in another room). Find a shooting competition that allows small guns (like an IDPA "BUG" match") and see how well you can really shoot your pocket gun under more stressful conditions than merely standing flat-footed and shooting at a non-moving target.

I'm confidant in my LCP and Smith J-frame. But I'm much MORE confident in my mid-size and full-size guns, thus I try to carry them every chance I get.

And for what it's worth, I know someone close to your size who carries a full-size 9mm XD in a Comp-Tac Minotaur on a daily basis. Had no clue he had it on him under a normal fitting T-shirt until he told me.

rthillusa

Post by rthillusa »

Check out the Kel Tec PF 9. Its 9mm and fits in your price range. Its American made, one of the thinest, most compact, concealable 9 mms you can buy. It gets consistently good reviews, and is quite reliable. It is plenty adequate, but is not a Kahr, Sig, etc. It is however a good compromise on cost, caliber and concealability. Your mileage may vary.

Topic author
jafreaka

Post by jafreaka »

thanks for suggestions and advice.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Commander Cody wrote:If it does not start with a 4....
....it starts with some other number. :biggrinjester:
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

jafreaka wrote:I don't plan on carrying everday day.
Please change your plan. Bad guys don't check your calendar to see if today is the day you plan on carrying.
jafreaka wrote:Caliber: Big enough to pack a decent punch (although this can be based on the grain and powder, right?)
Caliber is less important than accuracy under pressure. Practice regularly and consider joining IDPA. Learn to hit your target center mass with every shot.
jafreaka wrote:Safety: I do prefer something with a safety although I've noticed this is hard to find with smaller guns. So not to important.
The most reliable safety ever invented is your brain. Keep your finger off the trigger and your gun properly holstered, and your gun will not fire. It's not magic. They are hand tools.
jafreaka wrote:I don't plan on carrying loaded until I'm comfortable with carrying.
Please get comfortable with carrying loaded. An unloaded gun will not do you any good in an emergency, and you will not have time to load unless you can run really, really fast.
jafreaka wrote:Why are most people not a fan of the 380? It would easily qualify as a gun that would "STOP" someone right?
.380 is a small, light bullet with average speed. 9mm is about the same weight and size but 30-50% faster from the same length barrel. As Excaliber points out, 9mm, .357 and .45 are proven calibers that win fights. The only thing you care about in self defense is stopping the bad guy. Stick with calibers that do that consistently.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

68Charger

Post by 68Charger »

I carried an Sig P226 at 3 o'clock when I was 155lbs and I'm 5'10. Mind you this is before I was fat. I currently weigh 210 now. :roll: That's with a nylon holster (similar to Uncle Mikes) and could conceal that sucker with ease. If you're looking for a small pistol for that price, then def go with a Ruger-type pistol with a 380 calibur. I carry a .380 (Sig P232SL) at work all day and it's comfortable as hell. Even my girlfriend complains why I carry it in the house -- it's because I don't feel it.

Unless you find a .45 1911 at a good price. I think I want to aim for a Citadel or RIA (Rock Island Armory) in a compact/sub compact.

If you only handled a 9mm then go shoot other caliburs out there to see what you personally like. Then go from there.

All in all, stay safe and happy shooting!
We don't need no stinking badges!

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

I think my best carry is my Kimber .45 UCII. Sometimes I am only able to carry a smaller gun due to attire. Then I carry my Sig P238. Do what you have to do.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

jamisjockey

Post by jamisjockey »

rthillusa wrote:Check out the Kel Tec PF 9. Its 9mm and fits in your price range. Its American made, one of the thinest, most compact, concealable 9 mms you can buy. It gets consistently good reviews, and is quite reliable. It is plenty adequate, but is not a Kahr, Sig, etc. It is however a good compromise on cost, caliber and concealability. Your mileage may vary.
Funny enough I just bought my FIL a PF9 for Christmas. Now I want one after handling the one I got him.

RECIT

Post by RECIT »

I will second the ket-tec PF9. It feels good in the hands, very slim, and chambered in a good cartridge. And...in your price range.
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

bigred90gt

Post by bigred90gt »

I will have to join the bandwagon for the PF9. I sold my Diamondback DB380 and bought a PF9. It fits in my pocket, in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. When I cannot carry my XD40, i carry the PF9. I have fired approximately 500 rounds through it, and not a single malfunction. It aint pretty, but it works.

RECIT

Post by RECIT »

bigred90gt wrote:I will have to join the bandwagon for the PF9. I sold my Diamondback DB380 and bought a PF9. It fits in my pocket, in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. When I cannot carry my XD40, i carry the PF9. I have fired approximately 500 rounds through it, and not a single malfunction. It aint pretty, but it works.
What do you think of the trigger and felt recoil? I know its double action only and about as small of a 9mm package as you can get. So I'm sure the recoil is no slouch, but you can get a whole hand on it...
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”