Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
galvestonredneck
Posts in topic: 5

Cold Country

Post by galvestonredneck »

Hello all,
I have read severl posts in the past asking how the heat would effect a firearm left in a car. I have the other problem, for those of you who don't know it I moved to South Dakota 18 months ago. The temp tonight will be -12 with a -35 wind chill. Last year it got down to -35 degrees several nights and I expect this year will be no better.

I carry a CZ in the cab of my truck and wonder if I should be taking it in the house when the weather is this cold.

Any advise?

Galveston Redneck (AKA The COLD Texan)
Galveston Redneck
One COLD Texan

CompVest
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Cold Country

Post by CompVest »

Sub-zero weather should minimally effect ammo and gun if at all. The only threat would be if your lubricant was to get too viscous. You might consider a dry lube for the winter months.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

I wouldn't recommend leaving a firearm in a vehicle overnight unless it is in a secured garage. And that has nothing to do with the cold. Your firearm is only as secure as the glass in your vehicle.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Not that I need that kind of cold protection, but I use Eezox. It's rated from +450F to -95F.

http://www.eezox.com/gun-care.html

I just bought a large can from Midway.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
galvestonredneck

Thank You for the info.

Galveston Redneck (One Cold Texan)
Galveston Redneck
One COLD Texan

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

While I doubt it is a real concern, i just wanted to point out another problem with the cold. If you touch the weapon with bare skin (take your gloves off) it is possible to injure yourself, similar to touching any other metal object that is frozen (especially below zero). If I were in reaslly cold weather like that, I would have to seriously consider combat tupperware for the winter car use.
Steve Rothstein

Zoomie

Post by Zoomie »

Guns don't run as well in the cold, I had a lot of problems with a Kimber between Simi Wad cutters and the Colorado Winters. My Dad also missed a shot on a deer when a little bit of water had somehow gotten in the action of his rifle and frozen. Not exactly sure what happened there, but I would test it out in the cold.
"Speed is fine accuracy is final."
-Wyatt Earp

"Great danger lies in the notion we can reason with evil."
-Winston Churchill

And the wind shall say 'Here were decent godless people'. Their only monument the asphalt road and a thousand lost golf balls.
-T.S Elliot

NavAir
Posts in topic: 2

Post by NavAir »

David Jones: Where were you stationed, Captain, before you were picked up in transit?
Capt. Leslie Anders: Asia
David Jones: Ah, then you haven't been on the ice before either.
Capt. Leslie Anders: No, Sir. A bullet goes just as fast up here as it does down there.
David Jones: Not quite. An insignificant difference, perhaps, but I think you'll find the operational characteristics of the M-16 indicate that a bullet will decelerate as much as 40 feet per second per second faster in these climate conditions. It's denser air, you know.

Great movie, by the way. Anyone recognize it?

ddstuder

Post by ddstuder »

NavAir wrote:Great movie, by the way. Anyone recognize it?

Ice Station Zebra :hurry:
Guns are like parachutes, if your ever in a situation that you need one and you dont have one, you'll probably never need one again.

NavAir
Posts in topic: 2

Post by NavAir »

ddstuder wrote:

We have a winner!

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Oldgringo »

NavAir wrote:
ddstuder wrote:

We have a winner!
Oh Goody! That's coming up on our NetFlix queue.

Topic author
galvestonredneck

NavAir wrote:I think you'll find the operational characteristics of the M-16 indicate that a bullet will decelerate as much as 40 feet per second per second faster in these climate conditions. It's denser air, you know.
Let me tell you something. I would give up those 40 feet per second speeds in a heartbeat to have the winter weather where YOU are--LOL I also haven't seen a girl in a "bathing suit" since I got here!

People keep inviting m ICE Fishing! Grumpy old men, now that is a movie I can RELATE to--LOL

Galveston Redneck (ONE COLD TEXAN)

BTW: It turned out not to be a problem; it only got down to -6 degress last night and today it got all the way up to 3 degrees before it started droping again--LOL

South De-COLD-Da where you plug in your car AND your Pistol--LOL
Galveston Redneck
One COLD Texan

chartreuse

Post by chartreuse »

I remember reading that the Canadian govt still issues old WWII bolt action Enfields to the Inuit rangers, who patrol the far North of the country, on account of they're one of the few rifles that will function reliably in the extreme cold.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Weapons froze up in the cold during the Battle of the Bulge and during the retreat from Chosin in Korea. GIs used to urinate :eek6 on thier rifles to thaw them out so they could fight. The Marines in Korea stripped all oil and grease off their M1s to prevent cold weather freezing.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Oldgringo »

galvestonredneck wrote: ...LOL I also haven't seen a girl in a "bathing suit" since I got here!
It will be Spring in another six months or so. Just think what you've got to look forward to. :woohoo

Enjoy it while you can.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”