.380 Semi Autos

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
texas1234
Posts in topic: 1

.380 Semi Autos

Post by texas1234 »

This post is not start a .380 battle. I am looking for suggestions as an instructor that does small classes every couple of months. I am noticing that anyone who brings a .380 has multiple jams on the line to the point where I almost want to request that .380's not be used if possible. For you .380 fans is this normal? Is there something I can do to inform my students on how to handle a .380 so that they dont jam? I do not own a .380 nor do I have much experience with them.

So far in the last three classes I have given, a .380 has held up the line, and during the instructors course it was a .380 that held up that line.

Just curious.
6th Generation Texan

LarryH

Re: .380 Semi Autos

Post by LarryH »

What models were they?

What ammo was used?

Any trends noted there?

Dad24GreatKids

Post by Dad24GreatKids »

I've never experienced a failure of any type with my Ruger LCP. :thumbs2:
Dad24GreatKids
NRA Life member
TSRA

muleman

Post by muleman »

Dad24GreatKids wrote:I've never experienced a failure of any type with my Ruger LCP. :thumbs2:
:iagree:

Warhammer

Post by Warhammer »

I'm not a .380 fan, but my Dad's little Bersa Thunders just never seem to jam. Many of the newer pocket .380's are pretty light weight and have an aweful lot of kick for such small guns. Add the small gun, light weight & hard kick to the fact that a lot of these shooters are beginers, and I imagine there are a lot of user induced (limp wristing) jams with those guns.
Last edited by Warhammer on Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Broad-minded is just another way of saying a fellow is too lazy to form an opinion." - Rogers, Will

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

I just shot my new LCP for the first time last night. It came right out of the original shipping box, got cleaned up from the oil that was used during shipment, was loaded with Winchester 95 grain FMJ and went through 30 rounds flawlessly.

I wonder if it might be the way that the guns are being held. Not knowing how strong the recoil might be, I grabbed it tightly while I was going through the first magazine. It is a lot harder on my hands than my Sig 9mm.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

philip964

Post by philip964 »

I took my CHL class without owning a gun. I borrowed the instructors S&W 9mm. I had a stovepipe during the firing test.
I assumed it was due to my nervousness and inexperience.

An instructor friend said to never get a .380 as they always have problems just like you have said. I told him I was getting a Sig P238 and he did not recommend it as it was a .380.

I have really had no failures with the Sig in 400 rounds now. Others on this and other forums have had problems with this gun.

My instructor friend has now fired a Sig P238 and he has changed his view on this one gun regarding .380's. He loved it and plans to buy one.

He still however, does not think it is enough gun, but now at least feels this one gun is a reliable shooter for personal defense.

The weight of the gun helps very much with the recoil as it is minimal.

68Charger

Post by 68Charger »

What model were they using? I've owned a Sig P232 for almost a decade now and haven't had one issue with it. Let us know?
We don't need no stinking badges!

ac-mech

Post by ac-mech »

Limp wristing is the most common reason for jams and failures. :cool:
I have two kel-tec's p3at and never had a problem.

gigag04
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gigag04 »

68Charger wrote:What model were they using? I've owned a Sig P232 for almost a decade now and haven't had one issue with it. Let us know?
This is one of 3 .380s that I would trust to carry.

I don't own a Colt, but I've heard decent things...I'm a Colt fan boy so I'll give them a nod.

I've put close to 1k rounds through my Kahr P380 and NEVER had a malfunction with the gun. Quality is pricey though, to get into a Kahr or an older sig will cost the same coin as a new glock...

If it costs $200 new....well...nm. I digress.

To answer the question of handling a .380, I think the fault can be the shooter, and it is exacerbated by poor quality firearms. I can shoot my Kahr at all angles and it will perform fine. Where I'm wowed is that my relatively inexperienced fiance can get the same result. Get a good platform and drill the fundamentals of grip, trigger press, trigger reset. (not to exclude sight picture, but that shouldn't effect malfunctions.

On gun talk a few months back they went into how compact pocket autos are advanced guns, and can be tricky.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

I have a bunch of 380s.

P238 - never a hiccup
LCP - jams about once in 3 mags
P3AT - can't recall a jam
Llamas (various vintages) - no problems
Bersa - no problems
Colts - never a problem
Star SS (several) - no problems

I'd bet the problems are with limp-writing.
My wife was shooting her Beretta Tomcat .32 yesterday and had problems till she tightened her grip.
You should at least caution students to grip that thing in a death-grip.
I told my wife she should start keeping her Colt snubby in the car instead of that Tomcat.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Yep, as others have said, the problem is often with the operator, not the equipment (except some of the real cheapies). However, as the size gets smaller, the engineering and function of the smaller parts can be less forgiving than on larger, heavier semis. I keep 5 different 9mms available for CHL qualifications and separate "Handguns 101" classes - which it sounds like some of your folks may need as well, if for no other reason, but to learn to run the gun they already own.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

First thing I do w/ all guns on the line is check for clean. This is the #1 porblem that can easily be fixed & fast. If it is not a Jennings, Bryco, Jimenez, .... along those lines then if the .380 is clean it ought to run.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

In addition to firm grip, important to lock wrist and elbow.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

pcernuch

Post by pcernuch »

never had a bit of trouble from my LCP. 2-300 rounds down the pipe. i will agree with limp wristing.

god bless.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”