Sent off the Kimber

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

CaptWoodrow10
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Sent off the Kimber

Post by CaptWoodrow10 »

Have faith gigag. I've heard far more good than bad about Kimber's customer service.
Just out of curiosity, how many rounds have been through this Kimber?
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber CDP II

Topic author
gigag04
Posts in topic: 19

Post by gigag04 »

I'd guess a couple thousand maybe?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Also...this is for off duty use.

On duty we are issued G21sf's.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

cubbyjg
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cubbyjg »

Please keep us posted. If, and i hope this doesnt happen, Kimber does not stand behind their product and its costs you money to fix it, i will think twice about purchasing my first 1911 from them.
Hook'em Horns!
Class of 2007

“I am actually for gun control. Use both hands." - Gov. Rick Perry

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Howdy,
I have owned/own and carried Kimber, Colt and Springfield products. I would rank customer service as #1 Kimber, #2 Springfield, #3 Colt in terms of overall satisfaction. Kimber always satisfied, Colt rarely if ever.
The compact 1911's are known to have multiple problems. Mr. Brownings design called for a 5" barrel and FMJ ball ammunition. Reducing the barrel length and use of JHP ammo almost seem to insure feed and extraction problems. Most can be fixed by a recoil spring change, 18 lbs to 21 lbs, and tuning the extractor. "Reliability Jobs" from a reputable pistolsmith while expensive ($125 - $250), may also help.

Topic author
gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

One month later...

The only updates I have gotten are when I called Kimber and inquired about the gun. But, things are looking brighter. Today I heard that they are making a new slide for it, and they haven't mentioned any cost to me, so that's nice.

Downside is it will take longer than originally planned. Upsides: the only holster wear was on the slide, and it should actually extract when it comes back.

Updates to follow.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Excaliber »

gigag04 wrote:One month later...

The only updates I have gotten are when I called Kimber and inquired about the gun. But, things are looking brighter. Today I heard that they are making a new slide for it, and they haven't mentioned any cost to me, so that's nice.

Downside is it will take longer than originally planned. Upsides: the only holster wear was on the slide, and it should actually extract when it comes back.

Updates to follow.
Be patient.

I'm betting you're going to be pleasantly surprised with the gun when it comes back.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Jungle Work

Post by Jungle Work »

A couple of years ago I bought a Kimber Pro Carry II, new in the box from a Gun Shop.
Every third or so rounds it would not go into battery. I tried an Wolffe extra strength spring to no avail.
Different magazines, etc. to cure the problem. None, nada, still didn't work. Called Kimber and they said
to ship it to them on my dime. A couple of weeks later I got it back and a nice letter, "hehehe!" We forgot to
polish your chamber on your gun. I called and told them that I had spent $80.00 to ship the gun to them and they
said they'd send me a couple of magazines. Last Kimber I'll buy and I recommend that anyone who wants a good gun that will run, stay away from Kimber.

I do have two Kimber pistols that I bought the first week that that Kimber Pistols were on the market. Other than having to drift the rear sight with a three ton press, they are great guns. But alas, a different company now.

You'd think that if you pay almost or more than a thousand dollars for a gun it would run right out of the box.

Jungle Work
From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother. CURRAHEE

PBratton
Posts in topic: 1

Post by PBratton »

Jungle Work wrote:A couple of years ago I bought a Kimber Pro Carry II, new in the box from a Gun Shop.
Every third or so rounds it would not go into battery. I tried an Wolffe extra strength spring to no avail.
Different magazines, etc. to cure the problem. None, nada, still didn't work. Called Kimber and they said
to ship it to them on my dime. A couple of weeks later I got it back and a nice letter, "hehehe!" We forgot to
polish your chamber on your gun. I called and told them that I had spent $80.00 to ship the gun to them and they
said they'd send me a couple of magazines. Last Kimber I'll buy and I recommend that anyone who wants a good gun that will run, stay away from Kimber.

I do have two Kimber pistols that I bought the first week that that Kimber Pistols were on the market. Other than having to drift the rear sight with a three ton press, they are great guns. But alas, a different company now.

You'd think that if you pay almost or more than a thousand dollars for a gun it would run right out of the box.

Jungle Work
I understand you being upset about the pistol, however, the way I see it, they repaired the pistol, admitted their mistake and, hopefully, they have made business rules to ensure it does not happen again.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Oldgringo »

I have a Kimber Custom Target II that I got in a trade and it seems to be okay.

Not in 3,000 years would I pay $1,000 for a pistol whose documentation says to the effect, '...shoot it for a 1,000 rounds and see if it still works...' 'If it doesn't work, send it back to YONKERS, NY and we'll fix it ...someday'. Sheez!

Good luck with yours :txflag:

Topic author
gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

6.5 weeks later.

Just got the call. It shipped out today to my LGS and will arrive early next week.

Free, new custom slide installed w internal extractor.

Will eat my words after a range day and dept qual.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Excaliber »

gigag04 wrote:6.5 weeks later.

Just got the call. It shipped out today to my LGS and will arrive early next week.

Free, new custom slide installed w internal extractor.

Will eat my words after a range day and dept qual.
Sounds like they ponied up and did the right thing, albeit slowly.

We'll be waiting with interest for the range report.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

My only comment/experience with Kimber is with my Compact Aluminum model, I bought it used in '96 and it has worked FLAWLESSLY...other than needing a new plunger tube, that's it (as far as I know - it's possible that it could've had work done on it prior to me purchasing it, but it's doubtful). I have shot the gun quite a bit so I don't see the plunger tube as an issue - meaning, I think it would've happened with any other 1911 with the same number of rounds through it too. When Euless Guns and Ammo fixed the plunger tube I also had them do some updating/cosmetic work (reblued - to black - and added the Kimber night sights). My gun is admittedly a plain-jane style of Kimber and it's NOT a safe queen, nothing flashy at all, it's basic black but it's a SWEET and dependable shooter/carry gun. My S&W .38 BG gets carried more (simply due to comfort), but the Kimber gets carried a bunch too. :tiphat:

**Edited to add this: I bought my Glock 17 (new) about a year before my Kimber...and have NEVER done any work/mods/repair to it, everything is A-OK, other than just a little bit of holster wear...so, does that mean my Glock is a better gun? :biggrinjester: :evil2: I'll tell ya, I much prefer the way my Kimber shoots but I really like the round capacity of the Glock. I like both though. :tiphat: Maybe I should carry both! Yeah, that's it...nah, just teasing! :biggrinjester:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”