Sent off the Kimber

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
gigag04
Posts in topic: 19

Sent off the Kimber

Post by gigag04 »

I had my LGS sent off my Kimber Tac II Ultra I got in trade. It's going to the factory and hopefully will be back in a month as a reliable carry piece. It's got th external extractor and it was suffering rampant FTEs. Wouldn't pass my depts inspection and it is useless at this point.

Well see how a month at the Kimber factory does. I'm skeptical to say the least. Worst case is $250 for a new slide.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

cubbyjg
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Sent off the Kimber

Post by cubbyjg »

Sorry to hear that gigag. Hopefully they can fix it without costing you money. Either way, cant put a price on peace of mind. Hope everything works out.
Hook'em Horns!
Class of 2007

“I am actually for gun control. Use both hands." - Gov. Rick Perry

Topic author
gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Sure I can $464 for a G30sf that I traded :-/. It never malfunctioned even once.

I'm pretty sure it'll cost me since Kimber's customer service is atrocious. In either case I will post results here.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A-R
Posts in topic: 5

Post by A-R »

Sorry to hear that man.

:smash: *inner thought: must not be a jerk and use this as ammunition in the never-ending Glock vs. 1911 debate* :smash:

well, maybe I can just PM this to TAM

:biggrinjester:

All kidding aside, hope you get it back soon and inexpensively.

gfmun
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gfmun »

I returned a Kimber to the factory with extractor problems and an external extractor 3 years ago or so. It came back with a new slide with an internal extractor, springs were changed and a tune up at no cost at all. They also included a list of what was changed and tuned. I was very happy with the service.

thanks,
George

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Excaliber »

gigag04 wrote:I had my LGS sent off my Kimber Tac II Ultra I got in trade. It's going to the factory and hopefully will be back in a month as a reliable carry piece. It's got th external extractor and it was suffering rampant FTEs. Wouldn't pass my depts inspection and it is useless at this point.

Well see how a month at the Kimber factory does. I'm skeptical to say the least. Worst case is $250 for a new slide.
I'll bet you'll be pleasantly surprised, particularly if you let them know it's intended for LEO carry.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Topic author
gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Excaliber wrote:
gigag04 wrote:I had my LGS sent off my Kimber Tac II Ultra I got in trade. It's going to the factory and hopefully will be back in a month as a reliable carry piece. It's got th external extractor and it was suffering rampant FTEs. Wouldn't pass my depts inspection and it is useless at this point.

I'll bet you'll be pleasantly surprised, particularly if you let them know it's intended for LEO carry.
I'm hoping, but it shouldn't have to be like that. You should stand behind your product and your lame design experiment regardless of what costume the owner wears to work.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Excaliber »

gigag04 wrote:
Excaliber wrote:

I'm hoping, but it shouldn't have to be like that. You should stand behind your product and your lame design experiment regardless of what costume the owner wears to work.
I have no reason to believe they wouldn't treat you equally well if you didn't wear a badge, but my experience with many gun companies is that they are more attentive to LEO's, particularly in terms of service turnaround times, because they understand the gun is used daily in high consequence situations.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

TxSheepdog

Post by TxSheepdog »

Excaliber wrote:
gigag04 wrote:
Excaliber wrote:

I have no reason to believe they wouldn't treat you equally well if you didn't wear a badge, but my experience with many gun companies is that they are more attentive to LEO's, particularly in terms of service turnaround times, because they understand the gun is used daily in high consequence situations.
So drawing my gun in defense of myself or my family is not a high consequence situation? You either stand behind your product or you don't.
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."- Thomas Paine

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." - Friedrich Nietzsche

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

TxSheepdog wrote:
Excaliber wrote:
gigag04 wrote:
Excaliber wrote:

So drawing my gun in defense of myself or my family is not a high consequence situation? You either stand behind your product or you don't.
No offense, but that is not what Excaliber said. He said [LEO's use] "the gun..daily in high consequence situations". The fact that our occasional encounters with bad guys are of high consequence to us is completely irrelevant to his point, namely that LEO's face those situations daily, not occasionally.

Furthermore, he said "I have no reason to believe they wouldn't treat you equally well if you didn't wear a badge".

I don't know why you chose to put words in Excaliber's mouth, but you shouldn't. And I have no idea why I'm defending him. He's quite capable of defending himself. I just found your attack offensive and disrepectful of a highly valued member of this forum.

Please choose your words more wisely in the future.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

USA1

Post by USA1 »

+1
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

If Kimber charges you, I would consider trading for an equivalent Springfield 1911 compact, due to the similarity in design and mostly for Springfield's reputation for service. I have never heard a bad word about it on the Springfield 1911 forum, nothing but praise. I sent them an 11 year old 1911, told them on the phone and in writing that I didn't know how many previous owners there were, and they fixed the issue plus replaced several other parts for good measure. Sent on their dime both ways, no charge to me whatsoever. Just sayin'

Topic author
gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Ive heard that about SA. I'm looking at a 4" operator at some point.

Between phone and email convo with Kimber, plus their bad rep online, I'm quite a skeptic that they will get it right.

SA seems to be a much better company. Though, if Kimber makes it right, I will swallow these words and give them credit.

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

gigag04 wrote:Ive heard that about SA. I'm looking at a 4" operator at some point.

Between phone and email convo with Kimber, plus their bad rep online, I'm quite a skeptic that they will get it right.

SA seems to be a much better company. Though, if Kimber makes it right, I will swallow these words and give them credit.
Often times a company will make it right, and that flies in the face of a poor reputation they may have. I suspect there's a chance Kimber will make it right, without cost to you, so it's just a matter of wait and see.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

I know at one time Kimber replaced the external extractor slides with the proper JMB design at no charge, I suspect they still do so. As for the whole debate on taking better care of a gun that will see LE use, I'm all for it. An officers weapon will see conditions that are much more severe than the gun stored in the average gun owners safe. An officers gun can literally go from completely dry to drenched in water, temperatures can range from freezing to comfortable to 100+ in the shade all dependent on what time of year it is. In addition to that an officers weapon also sees less upkeep than the average gun owners firearm. When you combine that with the fact that every contact that an officer has with the public has the potential to become deadly in a manner that the average gun owner will most likely never see indicates to me that those men and women need more attention to detail on their factory serviced weapons.

If your job routinely put you in danger would you not want the most reliable tools available? As a CHL holder if my gun has issues I can simply choose another of similar configuration and go on about my business. An officer who supplies their own weapon, or a department with just enough weapons to issue each officer one, can't afford for a weapon to be sent in for repairs because an officer can only carry a weapon (exact make and model) they have qualified on.

For the record I am not, nor have I ever been, a peace officer but I have a lot of friends who are currently or were at one point. So the whole bash the cops because they might get special treatment thing, don't go there because your job probably doesn't potentially put your life in danger every time you do it. Because I feel like bragging a little, two departments in my county issue Kimbers to their officers. With that said Its almost 1 am and I need to get some sleep so feel free to ignore my rambling if you feel like it.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”