Am I the only one who prefers mil-spec AR mags?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
pbwalker
Posts in topic: 1

Am I the only one who prefers mil-spec AR mags?

Post by pbwalker »

I see it all the time..."you have to buy PMags, you must buy welded mags."

I'm sorry, but give me my $5 mil-spec AR mag. It served me well in the service. I've never had any FT* issues with them. If I ding or scuff them, big whoop.

I just don't see the need for a $30 AR mag.

What am I missing?
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Am I the only one who prefers mil-spec AR mags?

Post by The Annoyed Man »

pbwalker wrote:I see it all the time..."you have to buy PMags, you must buy welded mags."

I'm sorry, but give me my $5 mil-spec AR mag. It served me well in the service. I've never had any FT* issues with them. If I ding or scuff them, big whoop.

I just don't see the need for a $30 AR mag.

What am I missing?
Back your truck over 3 of your mil-spec mags ($15 worth), then back your truck over one PMAG ($15 worth) three times. Then take all 4 mags to the range. You won't be using the mil-specs because they'll be flat and you can't put cartridges in them. But you'll be using that PMag for the next 10 years. By then, you could have spent $500 on mil-spec mags.

The mil-spec mags that came with my Bushmaster literally fell apart after a few trips to the range and some hard time holding down the carpeting on the shelf of my safe. So did the mil-spec mags I bought to replace them. The welding at the seams came apart. PMAGs have corrosion resistant stainless steel springs and anti-tilt, self-lubricating followers. They are rugged. They have dust covers to keep the ammo in them clean until you pop them off to use them.

Yes, they cost more. Three times as much, in fact. But they will last for years and years and years. Self-destructing $5 mags are fine if you have the U.S government's magazine budget. But for those of us who don't, a few PMAGS that will likely never need to be replaced really are the better solution.

That's my justification. It might not work for everyone, but it works for me. I have 14 of them, but I didn't pay for all of them. Some were gifts from my son.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

No pmags here (not because they are not good though).

I use C-Products Stainless Steel. Very rugged and reliable.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

jgedmond

Post by jgedmond »

+1 on the C-Products SS mags. I use mil-spec also. No problems with either, but I never ran them over with my truck (accidentally or on purpose :mrgreen: ).
Jim

NRA, TSRA, SAF Life Member, PSC Shooting Club

jeeperbryan

Post by jeeperbryan »

To take it even further.....buy one Eastern Bloc AK Mag, buy any AR mag. Open two bottles of beer with the feed lips of of each mag. Throw the broken AR mag down range and shoot it up with the AK. Then have a seat, drink your beer, ask yourself why AR mags are so cheaply made.

Weg

Post by Weg »

jeeperbryan wrote:To take it even further.....buy one Eastern Bloc AK Mag, buy any AR mag. Open two bottles of beer with the feed lips of of each mag. Throw the broken AR mag down range and shoot it up with the AK. Then have a seat, drink your beer, ask yourself why AR mags are so cheaply made.
Ditto to that...... on the AR mag issue, i've never used P-mags, just plain old USGI. Can't say i've never had a problem with them, but then again i'm just not willing to spend the money on P-mags. If my life depended on it I might think differently, but it doesn't.

dicion

Post by dicion »

My Rifle is a TEOTWAWKI Rifle. So I got Mags that should last until then, and maybe afterwords. Pmags :thumbs2:

Also, I have this really annoying habit to 'go big or go home' or 'why buy mediocre when you can get the best' attitude towards everything.
My first handgun that I bought myself was a $1200 1911... skipped the entire Revolver/Glock/Other Cheaper handgun and went straight to the best :lol:

Dunno why, but that's just how I am. Mediocre doesn't cut it around me, for anything. :tiphat:

Granted, the counter arguement for my arguement would be that you can purchase 3x as many GI mags as pmags, load em up once, use em, and then discard em, because in a real TEOTWAWKI scenario, are you really going to go back and pick up your mags? I guess it depends on how the world was ending... Zombies... probably not. Defending your home after a natural disaster, probably.

jeeperbryan

Post by jeeperbryan »

dicion wrote:My Rifle is a TEOTWAWKI Rifle. So I got Mags that should last until then, and maybe afterwords. Pmags :thumbs2:

Also, I have this really annoying habit to 'go big or go home' or 'why buy mediocre when you can get the best' attitude towards everything.
My first handgun that I bought myself was a $1200 1911... skipped the entire Revolver/Glock/Other Cheaper handgun and went straight to the best :lol:

Dunno why, but that's just how I am. Mediocre doesn't cut it around me, for anything. :tiphat:

Granted, the counter arguement for my arguement would be that you can purchase 3x as many GI mags as pmags, load em up once, use em, and then discard em, because in a real TEOTWAWKI scenario, are you really going to go back and pick up your mags? I guess it depends on how the world was ending... Zombies... probably not. Defending your home after a natural disaster, probably.
Well, I wouldn't classify anything AR15/M16 or 1911 related as TEOTWAWKI. If it was truly the end of the world, those with the AK47s and Glocks would survive.

And this is coming from a guy that has a super expensive 1911 and a few high-end AR15s. I'll still go with my $400 AKs and Glocks :)

Mando'a

Post by Mando'a »

The AR-15 is new to me, I've had mine about 6 months now.

I think I prefer the Pmag's to USGI mags, simply because I'm an AR Newb.

The Pmag torture tests I viewed on YouTube also helped convince me to go with the Pmags.
:tiphat:

...and I'm sure owning a plastic gun (Glock 22) pushed me to buy plastic mags... :biggrinjester:
took chl renewal course 11/7/09
sent in paperwork 11/12/09
received new chl 12/09/09

NRA member
Glock 22
Bushmaster Texas Carbine (XM15-E2S)

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

dicion wrote:My Rifle is a TEOTWAWKI Rifle. So I got Mags that should last until then, and maybe afterwords. Pmags :thumbs2:
That's exactly my reasoning. I can't always afford the "go big or go home" thing, but sometimes success or failure boil down to the small details - like high quality magazines and good optics.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

jgedmond

Post by jgedmond »

I think that you spent a few hundred too much on the handgun, my HK's and a pump action shotgun (in addition to the AR's) will do me just fine
Jim

NRA, TSRA, SAF Life Member, PSC Shooting Club

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
That's exactly my reasoning. I can't always afford the "go big or go home" thing, but sometimes success or failure boil down to the small details - like high quality magazines and good optics.

You and your logic.....

:)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

bigred90gt

Post by bigred90gt »

I've never used a Mil Spec magazine, or any magazine other than a P-mag in my AR, but not because I am opposed to anything else. When I bought my AR, it came with a P-mag. When I bought my AR, I didnt know much about them, so I asked my buddy which magazines were best to buy, and he said the P-mag, so I bought 3 extras. When the gun show rolls back around, I'll probably buy 5 or 10 more. Magazines are like ammo, you just cant have too many. They were $12 at the gun show.

Bily Lovec

Post by Bily Lovec »

children,
Pmags ARE mil-spec.

:patriot:

O6nop

Post by O6nop »

Bily Lovec wrote:children,
Pmags ARE mil-spec.

:patriot:
Are they really? Or are they just AR15/M16 compatible? Are they actually GI issue? Or is this a "clip vs. magazine" discussion?
This would be interesting to know for sure.
I believe there is safety in numbers..
numbers like: 9, .22, .38, .357, .45, .223, 5.56, 7.62, 6.5, .30-06...

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”