Help me decide please

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
TheReverend
Posts in topic: 3

Help me decide please

Post by TheReverend »

I want to get a new CC gun. I'm trying to decide between a XD 9mm the 3" sub compact version and a Ruger LCP.
for the XD:
+ a "real gun" feeling
+ higher rounds capacity
+ I already have it's big brother the XDM in 9mm so ammo is the same.

For the Ruger LCP:
+ a lot smaller
+ can be carried on the ankle if I want to
+ even with laser it's still small enough to conceal

The reason I'm looking for a new CC gun is I have the full size XDM (not the new 3.8") and even in a supertuck it's heavy and uncomfortable to carry. I'm looking for a daily carry that will be there when I need it and give me some comfort as well.

Any advice / suggestion will be appreciated.
When you got to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.

cubbyjg
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Help me decide please

Post by cubbyjg »

IMO, you are trying to decide between two different guns that are on opposite spectrums. I would suggest first decide on a caliber. Which one are you most comfortable with? Then maybe try thinking what your typical day is like. Are you sitting at a desk? Or are you moving and grooving? Will you be carrying in a "social scene"? The two choices presented are like apples and oranges. Its difficult to help when we dont know what are the important factors that are a must for your next concealed carry. Determine your "musts" and it will lend itself to the right weapon that fits you. I would say that if you are comfortable already with the supertuck AND the xd pistol, go with the xd compact. On the otherhand, the .380 will do the job, can be put in the pocket and weighs a little more than a cell phone i would imagine. If you know that you will carry the lcp everyday without fail, then maybe that is what will work for you.

I currently carry a g26 in a supertuck as well and that is very similar to the xd. I find it meets my needs and requirements for the most part. There are times though when i cant carry it and i wish i had a pocket pistol which i am currently researching. For example, once i start running outside again, i dont want the g26 jumping around and being cumbersome. Thats when i would like to carry a pocket pistol.
Hook'em Horns!
Class of 2007

“I am actually for gun control. Use both hands." - Gov. Rick Perry

USA1

Post by USA1 »

TheReverend wrote: Any advice / suggestion will be appreciated.
OK, but you asked for it. Get both. Carry both. When you can't carry both, carry the LCP.

End of transmission.
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

Carry-a-Kimber

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

USA1 wrote:
OK, but you asked for it. Get both. Carry both. When you can't carry both, carry the LCP.

End of transmission.
:iagree: What he said.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

Recently I was carrying my XDm-40 (The full sized 4.5 inch gun, not the newer 3.8 inch version), and to be honest it wasn't that different from carrying my 4" Kimber. I routinely carry an LCP as a BUG, although my P238 is nearing 500 rounds so it will soon take that job.

Before you choose ask yourself:
Why do you want a small gun: because it seems easier to conceal, Because its lighter, Because its fashionable, ect.
When does small become too small: When it becomes difficult to control, When the ammo is too weak, when you loose capacity, ect.
When does big become too big: When it weighs as much as four of the smaller choice, when it no longer fits in a pocket, ect.
Where and how will you carry it: IWB, OWB, pocket, ankle, belly band, deep concealment, ect.

However my advice is get both, shoot both, then decide which one (or both) you will carry.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Texas Dan Mosby

Post by Texas Dan Mosby »

I'd choose the XD.

-You're already familiar with the platform.
-Better round.
-More ammo.
88 day wait for the state to approve my constitutional right to bear arms...

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

:iagree: :iagree:

I'd go with the XD subcompact. I used to have one and traded it in on the XDm9 in the 3.8. I love love shooting my XDm, but it is heavy to carry on the belt. I can CC it quite well in a purse, but off body carry has the well known problems. I now want to get the XD sub compact again because it's easier to carry and importantly because it operates the same way as the XDm. The muscle memory for the two is close enough to work in my favor to own and use both guns. In an adrenaline rush, it is a good thing to not need to think about any differences between one gun and another. Just a thought you might consider.
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

Fire1141
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Fire1141 »

I have both. I shoot both. I daily carry my xdsc40. I have felt nearly unarmed on the 2 or 3 occasions that I grabbed the lcp for the run to the store. BUT if you won't carry the heavier XD all the time, find something that you will carry

Topic author
TheReverend
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TheReverend »

USA1 wrote:

End of transmission.
Done! Where do I send the bill to?

In today's economy, one has to choose :???:

did anyone try to carry the XDsc in an ankle holster? Is it an unrealistic thought?
When you got to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.

Fire1141
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Fire1141 »

Haven't tried, but I don't see why it wouldn't work

mctowalot

Post by mctowalot »

IMHO, you should check out the Kahr PM9. It's not much "bigger" than the LCP and holds 6 (?) rounds of 9mm. The Kahr website has side by side comparisons of the PM9 vs. other compacts.

Embalmo

Post by Embalmo »

I agree with USA1. There are times when you won't be able to carry anything bigger than an LCP, but that shouldn't stop you from getting the XD also. I carry my Bersa when I can, but there are environs that force me to go LCP only; which beats nudity.

Embalmo
Husband and wife CHL team since 2009

ccoker

Post by ccoker »

mctowalot wrote:IMHO, you should check out the Kahr PM9. It's not much "bigger" than the LCP and holds 6 (?) rounds of 9mm. The Kahr website has side by side comparisons of the PM9 vs. other compacts.
agreed
if you are in the Austin area I would be happy to let you shoot mine
I can carry it with 6+1 and a flush mag or 7+1 with the extended mag

it is surprisingly accurate and easy to shoot, much more so than my jframe (which is mechanically very accurate of course)
The jframe has CT laser grips, the smallest ones, the 105

For pocket carry the Jframe is probably a little better in terms of ease of draw as the PM9 back of the slide tends to hang up on clothing
for IWB the PM9 with the 7rd mag flat disappears

I carry either of the above dependant upon situation, I do find that with a good holster and belt I can carry my 4.5" barreled Wilson Combat Spec Ops9 just as easy and comfortably.
The PM9 is nice because with just a clip on holster I can use it with shorts and no belt since it's so light

pcernuch

Post by pcernuch »

i carry a glock 27 as my daily (as said, basically the same in size and weight as an xd sub compact), and an LCP when i am feeling lazy, or wearing a wife beater. i do not carry a bug. i dont feel near as safe or as comfortable when only having the LCP on me. i just came to this realization weds. night. with the +2 extenion i have 12rds of .40cal vs. the 7 rounds of the much smaller .380. i am also more accurate with the larger of the 2 pistols so i am sure that factors into my comfort level. if you must choose only one i would get the xd.

god bless.

texasjeep44

Post by texasjeep44 »

You say your carrying the XDM in a Supertuck and it is too heavy for all day carry.

Here is what I have found. I carry a 24/7 Pro DS most days in a belt slide holster. It is only 3 ounces lighter than the XDM you have and only holds 2 less rounds. So added up, that is a total of 4 or less ounces different than your XDM.

I carry it in a Fist OWB holster. I have tried to carry it in a Supertuck but it just doesn't work. I however have a PT111 that carries perfectly fine in the Supertuck all day long, and even when coaching soccer and running with a bunch of 7/8 year olds.

The 10+ ounces and the shorter barrel makes a huge difference in whether or not it carries well in the Supertuck or in a OWB slide holster. OWB with the 24/7 it carries perfectly all day, with the Supertuck not so. The smaller PT111 carries fine all day in either the Supertuck or a Fist OWB holster. A very good quality gun belt also helps with either method of carry.

As far as the LCR goes it is going to be more concealable, but you give up some to the caliber, unless your going for the .357 version, and I can't imagine that would be any fun to shoot, nor do I think the guns will hold up over a lifetime if you shoot many magnum loads out of them. I have never been a big fan of ankle holsters, maybe I just haven't found any that work/fit properly, so you will have to get some input from others who have more experience in that area than me. Pocket carry is also an option for the LCR depending on your size and dress.

My suggestion is to eventually get both the LCR or another revolver, the smaller XD since your familiar with the platform and the XDM. I would probably start with the XD since you already have a holster that will work with it.

I rotate between the 24/7, a PT111 and a SP101 for revolver. All carried in either Supertucks or Fist OWB belt slide holsters.

Good luck with your decision.

Edited: OOps I am getting my initials mixed up. You said LCP, not LCR, too many acronyms. After my realization of my mistake, I will stick with the recommendation of a small revolver over the LCP. I have carried a .380, and might again, but if I can manage around it, I prefer 38 +P or 9mm and above. The little .380's have their place, but in my view it is for occasional carry when there is absolutely no other options. I haven't found myself in that situation in years.
Last edited by texasjeep44 on Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just remember shot placement is much more important with what you shoot than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.

http://www.ddchl.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”