Introduce yourself

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

SeanR
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by SeanR »

Hello everyone, obviously my name is Sean.

Age=just turned 40
Occupation=Porsche Mechanic
Married with a wife and one step kid.

Been reading/researching here for a few months and after taking the CHL course with Graybeard, at his suggestions, I went ahead and joined up. I won't post much, but wanted to say thanks to Mr. Cotton for this forum and to all of those that have submitted a lot of invaluable information. Huge thanks from me.

Hope everyone has had a great weekend.
Last edited by SeanR on Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
•• Law of Mechanical Repair - After your hands become coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee.

TexasFlash
Posts in topic: 23

Post by TexasFlash »

Welcome to the forum; good info here.... :txflag:

Divided Attention
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Divided Attention »

Howdy! I am Tonya - the other 1/2 of Middle Age Russ for the past 22 years. I grew up learning to respect and deal with firearms of all sorts from my Dad. Even did a bit of Action and handgun silhouette competition shooting for fun before we had children. As life will do, it has kept me busy and the frequency of range visits has dropped off considerably. DH and I have scheduled our long procrastinated CHL class for this coming Saturday.

Having grown up with mostly revolver experience I admit being intimidated by semi-auto handguns. Knowing I needed to qualify with a semi-auto to have a choice in what to carry, and also knowing my husbands monster 9mm Smith model 659 was not anything I would EVER want to shoot more than just a couple rounds through, the search was on. Thanks to a very patient gentleman and some guidance by Russ I have found a firearm I am feeling more comfortable with every time I fire it.

I spent this weekend becoming familiar with my S&W M&P 9C. I put about 70 rounds through it on Saturday, and Sunday had an awesome time with Compvest and 4 other ladies doing some shooting drills. Thanks to my new "perfect grip" (I may be redoing my sharpie marks all week so they are there for my CHL test) I was getting some pretty nice groupings and am very excited! Thanks Compvest!

I have enjoyed perusing this informative site and learning from everyone here - I echo Russ' thanks to Charles!

Tonya
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 50

Post by seamusTX »

Tonya, welcome to the forum and good shooting. :cheers2:

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

Hoi Polloi
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Hoi Polloi »

Yes! Hello and welcome!

The M&P 9c is one on my short list that I'd like to try. Glad to hear you're liking it!
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yankee Girl
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Yankee Girl »

Divided Attention wrote: I put about 70 rounds through it on Saturday, and Sunday had an awesome time with Compvest and 4 other ladies doing some shooting drills. Thanks to my new "perfect grip" (I may be redoing my sharpie marks all week so they are there for my CHL test) I was getting some pretty nice groupings and am very excited! Thanks Compvest!
Don't you just LOVE those Sharpie marks??? They make an incredible difference! :hurry:
Courage is just Fear that has said its prayers -
-- Maya Angelou

sar05
Posts in topic: 3

Post by sar05 »

Charla
Female
Dog Trainer/Small Business Owner - "The Family Doghouse"
Married - going on 3 years
2 children - 5 y/o girl and 2 y/o boy
Pets? Haha - ok, here goes : 2 y/o male GSD (Ajay), 1 y/o male American Staffordshire Terrier (Gambler), 5 month old Female GSD(Olexa), 2 hedgehogs (Rose and Spike), Wallee the Rat, 1 Bearded Dragon (Sunny)and a Sulcata Tortoise (Oscar).
Finished class ; need to send in paperwork. Tight on $$ at the moment
Carry Guns/Equipment: S&W j-frame and Glock 17

My husband posts as exmarlboroman and has tried to get me to post for a while now. Last Monday I shot IDPA with my j-frame and was told by several people I needed to join the forum so here I am. :) I hope to learn a lot from TexasCHL and all of its knowledgeable members. :)

Happy shooting!
Gun control means being able to hit your target. If I have a 'hot button' issue, this is definitely it. Don't even think about taking my guns. My rights are not negotiable, and I am totally unwilling to compromise when it comes to the Second Amendment. - Michael Badnarik
www.familydoghouse.com

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 61

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

sar05 wrote:Charla
Female
Pets? Haha - ok, here goes : 2 y/o male GSD (Ajay), 1 y/o male American Staffordshire Terrier (Gambler), 5 month old Female GSD(Olexa), 2 hedgehogs (Rose and Spike), Wallee the Rat, 1 Bearded Dragon (Sunny)and a Sulcata Tortoise (Oscar).

My husband posts as exmarlboroman and has tried to get me to post for a while now. Last Monday I shot IDPA with my j-frame and was told by several people I needed to join the forum so here I am. :) I hope to learn a lot from TexasCHL and all of its knowledgeable members. :)

Happy shooting!
Welcome! Was your J-frame IDPA match at the Arms Room last Monday?

Chas.

sar05

Post by sar05 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Female

Happy shooting!

Chas.
Yes Sir!
Gun control means being able to hit your target. If I have a 'hot button' issue, this is definitely it. Don't even think about taking my guns. My rights are not negotiable, and I am totally unwilling to compromise when it comes to the Second Amendment. - Michael Badnarik
www.familydoghouse.com

Hoi Polloi
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Hoi Polloi »

Hi Charla!

I can't help in the learning department, but I welcome you to the forum! I'm particularly interested in hearing your carry set-up with the kids. I look forward to talking with you!
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 61

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

sar05 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Female

Happy shooting!

Chas.
Yes Sir!
I thought so. There are about as many people shooting IDPA matches with 2 " .38's as there are Unicorns in West Texas! It was good to meet you last night and as I told you, I heard very good things about your shooting the snubbie.

Chas.

williamkevin
Posts in topic: 15

Post by williamkevin »

Female

Happy shooting!
Welcome sar05! It was good to meet you last night!

sar05

Post by sar05 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: I thought so. There are about as many people shooting IDPA matches with 2 " .38's as there are Unicorns in West Texas! It was good to meet you last night and as I told you, I heard very good things about your shooting the snubbie.

Chas.
Thank you so much!!

Honestly, I got the gun because everyone told me it's a good first gun and a great weapon to carry since it's small, lightweight and it'll never fail to fire. I always practiced with it but putting 100 rounds through it in 2 hours killed my hand. I expected to see more people shooting a revolver but after the night was over I understood why there wasn't and decided to buy the 9mm which was a heck of a lot more fun to shoot. :thumbs2: I'm not as good a shot with it but after a few weeks of practice I think it'll get easier.
williamkevin wrote:Welcome sar05! It was good to meet you last night!
Thanks! You too!
www.familydoghouse.com

USA1
Posts in topic: 143

Post by USA1 »

sar05 wrote:
My husband posts as exmarlboroman and has tried to get me to post for a while now.
Welcome to the forum Charla!. There are a few husband and wife members here.

Now exmarlboroman will have to behave himself around here. :biggrinjester:
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

TxA
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TxA »

sar05 wrote:1 y/o male American Staffordshire Terrier (Gambler)
:thumbs2:
CHL 08/00

“We have no government armed in power capable of contending in human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”
John Adams – 2nd President of the United States

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”