Failor to Feed Problem - Advice please

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
UncleBob
Posts in topic: 2

Failor to Feed Problem - Advice please

Post by UncleBob »

I own two XD .45's . One is a XD .45 service 4" and the other is an XD .45 Tactical 5".

I was shooting federal ball ammo out of my service pistol and it began giving me Failor To Feed problems. The new round would be almost at a twelve oclock position within the chamber after the extraction. There were times that a new round wasn't chambered after firing either. At first I thought it was the magazine so I changed out mags and had the same problem. I took the same mags and used them with my "Tactical" XD and had no problems.

I have checked the weapon completely and see no problems, nor do the magazines appear to be damaged. I was not "limp wristing" because I had my friend fire it and he had the same problem.

Anyone help me out here I would greatly apprciate your wisdom on this.

Thanks
2/15/10 CHL Class
2/16/10 Packet Sent
2/17/10 Delivery Confirmation
2/25/10 Pin Received "Processing Application"
3/17/10 License issued or Certificate Active
3/20/10 Plastic in Hand

Semper Fi!

Topic author
UncleBob
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Failor to Feed Problem - Advice please

Post by UncleBob »

Also just FYI - I had no problems with my tactical XD 5" with the same ammo all day.
2/15/10 CHL Class
2/16/10 Packet Sent
2/17/10 Delivery Confirmation
2/25/10 Pin Received "Processing Application"
3/17/10 License issued or Certificate Active
3/20/10 Plastic in Hand

Semper Fi!

NOS
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Failor to Feed Problem - Advice please

Post by NOS »

UncleBob wrote:I own two XD .45's . One is a XD .45 service 4" and the other is an XD .45 Tactical 5".

I was shooting federal ball ammo out of my service pistol and it began giving me Failor To Feed problems. The new round would be almost at a twelve oclock position within the chamber after the extraction. There were times that a new round wasn't chambered after firing either. At first I thought it was the magazine so I changed out mags and had the same problem. I took the same mags and used them with my "Tactical" XD and had no problems.

I have checked the weapon completely and see no problems, nor do the magazines appear to be damaged. I was not "limp wristing" because I had my friend fire it and he had the same problem.

Anyone help me out here I would greatly apprciate your wisdom on this.

Thanks

Without seeing the pistol, it's hard for me to give a definite answer to your problem.
I would take another close look at the feed ramp and chamber opening to see if there is any damage, or if part of a broken case wedged and caused the feeding problems. I would also take a very close look at the extractor and ejector to see if they have any damage or debris caught around them.
I'm a little confused about the "twelve o'clock position within the chamber". Am I right in understanding this as a "stovepipe" with a live newly fed round?
If so the first thing that I would do, would be to break down the magazines and clean them with powder blast inside and out (make sure not to oil any part of the magazine). It seems strange to think that the magazines would only malfunction in one gun, but stranger things have happened to me in the past. If nothing else, cleaning it would rule out powder and other debris in the magazines that could cause the follower to catch and feed the round at an extreme angle, or possibly stick and not feed a round at all. If the magazine fit is slightly different between both guns (being polymer framed pistols, most have slight differences in how much play the magazine has while locked into the mag-well), you may only notice the issue with one gun. Don't get me wrong, it's unlikely to be your issue, but you never know. Besides, a good thorough cleaning of your mags will ensure proper function and performance in the future. IMHO it never hurts to try the easy stuff first.
I've also seen these symptoms happen if the barrel fails to drop into feeding position completely as the round is chambered, but that is a very uncommon issue.
If cleaning and visual inspection don't find any issues, and this keeps happening with your pistol, send it back to the factory, or have a gunsmith look at it.
:tiphat:
06/06/2010 Class Taken
06/17/2010 Packet Mailed
06/19/2010 Packet Received
07/07/2010 Status Online/Application Missing
07/12/2010 Mailed New Application
07/15/2010 Application Complete
08/18/2010 Fingerprints Complete
08/24/2010 Background Complete
08/27/2010 Mailed
09/01/2010 Plastic

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”