Carry with Laser/Light combo?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
InfoTechCHL2007
Posts in topic: 2

Carry with Laser/Light combo?

Post by InfoTechCHL2007 »

Does anyone regularly carry with a laser/light combo attached to the rail of their pistol? If so, I'm just curious how that works for you from a concealability perspective, given the need for a larger holster. It also seems like the draw would be more difficult.

Thanks
Know your weapons

slinco
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Carry with Laser/Light combo?

Post by slinco »

I have a laser/light on my Glock-but it stays in the nightstand. Couldn't imagine trying to carry it! I can understand laser grips but not something on the rail.
PETULANT MISANTHROPE
Why do they call it Tourist Season if ya can't shoot 'em?

Topic author
InfoTechCHL2007

Post by InfoTechCHL2007 »

slinco wrote:I have a laser/light on my Glock-but it stays in the nightstand. Couldn't imagine trying to carry it! I can understand laser grips but not something on the rail.
That's my thinking as well. I had just noticed holsters built around the laser/light and was wondering if they were actually practical enough to be used by anyone on the forum.
Know your weapons

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

InfoTechCHL2007 wrote:Does anyone regularly carry with a laser/light combo attached to the rail of their pistol? If so, I'm just curious how that works for you from a concealability perspective, given the need for a larger holster. It also seems like the draw would be more difficult.

Thanks
These are the least of your challenges. The big problem is if your only light is mounted on the gun, how do you illuminate your surroundings in search mode when there may be innocent persons present without risking committing a crime by pointing a gun at someone who needs to be identified as friend or foe but has not yet presented an articulable deadly threat?

A small hand held tactical light like any of several of the SureFire's and night sights on a major caliber gun are sufficient to address nearly any public carry situation that can be solved with a handgun.

A mounted light on a home defense gun is another story. There it can help you illuminate what you need to see without breaking a two hand grip on the gun when looking into areas where anyone found will be an intruder.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

secure

Post by secure »

Its definitely doable. These guys make the best holster for that type of setup http://www.ravenconcealment.com/products/holsters.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also consider the additional weight you take on when deciding to carry with one of these rigs. Is it worth the weight?
Lasermax setup and carry a streamlight microstream and you are close to the same benefit.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I am considering the veridian C5L I pretty sure I can conceal it in a smartcarry. I already carry my P30 with a TLR-2 in a fannypack especially at night
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

fecnik

Post by fecnik »

i have a laser on my m&p 9c..but no light. The only way i see carrying a light (comfortably) would be OWB.
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 08

Springfield Champion Stainless
Kahr K40 Stainless

terryg

Post by terryg »

I've often wondered about the safety of gun mounted lights. Is there a chance this just gives the BG a target in the dark? With a separate tactical light, you can hold the light over your head if needed to draw fire away from your body. Any truth to that line of thinking? :headscratch
... this space intentionally left blank ...

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

terryg wrote:I've often wondered about the safety of gun mounted lights. Is there a chance this just gives the BG a target in the dark? With a separate tactical light, you can hold the light over your head if needed to draw fire away from your body. Any truth to that line of thinking? :headscratch
At night, I assure you you can't look directly at TLR-2 LED light without being blinded.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

jester

Post by jester »

This might be of interest.
"There is but one correct answer...and it is best delivered with a Winchester rifle."

Medic218

Post by Medic218 »

terryg wrote:With a separate tactical light, you can hold the light over your head if needed to draw fire away from your body.
Im not putting anything that may be considered a "target" anywhere near my head...PERIOD!
If im going to get shot Id much rather be shot in the body than the head.
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
"Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- M218

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”