Taurus 1911...Is it too good to be true???

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

age_ranger
Posts in topic: 1

Post by age_ranger »

$499 here at Bullet Trap in Plano. Nice feeling pistol. Looks like they might have a nice pistol going.......still waiting to hear a real life range report.
http://www.berettaforum.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just remember: Your very best thinking got you where you are now!!!

CaptDave
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CaptDave »

Stevie:

I looked at one at the last Houston show at GRB.

I looks good, has a lot of the custom features you usually pay extra for and although I haven't shot with the Heine "Straight 8" sights, they look pretty fast. You also get a beavertail grip safety with a "speed pad", forward cocking serrations and ambidextrous thumb safeties and a full length guide rod, along with the usual relieved ejection port and throated and polished barrel and feed ramp.

And yes it will take Wilson mags and the rest of "Mil Spec" parts.

For under 500.00 bucks, I'd be looking at it pretty hard to take to the range if I hadn't already picked up my Springfield Custom Loaded. (btw:over 9000 rounds through it since last Nov and doing great).

And, since Beretta built the Taurus factory in Brazil "way back when" I wouldn't worry about the quality as long as you realize you get what you pay for.

If I were in the market, I'd pick one up for the range and burn A LOT of ammo through it and then decide if it rated night stand or carry duty.
---just my 2 cents---
Let us know what you decide to do...
"An armed society is a polite society"

KRM45

Post by KRM45 »

I like the look of the stainless version in the back of my latest gun mag. I was able to fondle one at the show a few weeks back, but only the blued version.

I didn't think it looked as good in person as it did in the ad.

AG-EE

Post by AG-EE »

I didn't think it looked as good in person as it did in the ad.
Does anything?

Topic author
stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 11

Post by stevie_d_64 »

So far its a confirmed negative on the factory trigger settings, and the Hienie sights...

Both of which I believe could be worked on or replaced...

Since this is a new product for them, and the robust-ness of the firearm is a legitimate concern as it should be...I believe we should keep our eyes peeled for these to show up from time to time at the ranges we go to...

Just nobody laugh at me if I get one...I'm a sensitive guy, and my feelings get hurt easily...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

CaptDave

Post by CaptDave »

stevie_d_64 wrote:Just nobody laugh at me if I get one...I'm a sensitive guy, and my feelings get hurt easily...

I know, I am usually wrong and annoying...
:headscratch Stevie, have we been in therapy??? :shock: :willynilly:
"An armed society is a polite society"

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Mike1951 »

Actually, the trigger is excellent!

I fondled two of them. One had a good trigger, the other had a VERY good trigger. I felt bad taking the better trigger since the guy next to me was gonna get the other one.

I heard back from him since, and his cleaned up to where he's also very happy.

All Pt1911's should have a 4# or less trigger pull.

I'm as happy with the PT1911 as I am my Kimber Eclipse Pro.

Mike

chongfa

Post by chongfa »

Mike1951 wrote:Actually, the trigger is excellent!

I fondled two of them. One had a good trigger, the other had a VERY good trigger. I felt bad taking the better trigger since the guy next to me was gonna get the other one.

I heard back from him since, and his cleaned up to where he's also very happy.

All Pt1911's should have a 4# or less trigger pull.

I'm as happy with the PT1911 as I am my Kimber Eclipse Pro.

Mike
So I should sell my Kimber Eclipse and get PT1911 and pocket $400? :shock: ;-)

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Mike1951 »

Man, my shoulders ain't big enough for that one!!!

Let me say this.

I'm not selling my Kimber, but....

The Taurus is gonna get a lot more range time and carry time.

Mike

jbenat

PT1911 for $460.00....

Post by jbenat »

I read the same article in American Sportsman about the PT1911. Sounded pretty good. I saw one at the Denton Gun Show on 7/22/6. At that time, it was priced at $460.00. Maybe it will be priced the same at the next Mesquite show.
I've been kind of keeping a eye out for negatives about it but I have seen very few. Except for people that just don't like Taurus. A 1911 is in my future but not sure which one yet. I'm partial to S & W but Springfield Arms sounds good too. I would like a Kimber but that would probably break the bank. Too many choices, glad I got some time. :roll:
NRA
TSRA
Texas CHL Holder
Member VRWC (Vast Right Wing Conspiracy)

USA OUT OF THE UN - LET THEM APPLAUDE THAT!
Liberal Motto; "We've got what it takes to take what you've got"

chongfa

Post by chongfa »

If I were you I would get a used Kimber from people that you trust for 3 reasons.

1) Kimber 1911 is a very good high end production pistol. You get a lot for the money that you paid for.

2) Certain Kimbers have reliablility problem. If you buy it from somebody that you trust, it will have already been tested for reliability from that person. Once Kimber works, it will work flawlessly.

3) I got a Kimber Eclipse used from Highvelocity and I absolutely love it. I only paid $750 for it and it is the best money/gun ratio ever. :grin:

Reysc

Re: PT1911 for $460.00....

Post by Reysc »

jbenat wrote:I read the same article in American Sportsman about the PT1911. Sounded pretty good. I saw one at the Denton Gun Show on 7/22/6. At that time, it was priced at $460.00. Maybe it will be priced the same at the next Mesquite show.
I've been kind of keeping a eye out for negatives about it but I have seen very few. Except for people that just don't like Taurus. A 1911 is in my future but not sure which one yet. I'm partial to S & W but Springfield Arms sounds good too. I would like a Kimber but that would probably break the bank. Too many choices, glad I got some time. :roll:
Jim, it's about time you star thinking 1911s!! i promise you won't regret it!! As soon as I slow down from work ( when will that be!!) You are welcome to shoot what I have.. so you can make your decision w/c way to go...Just bring your 45 ammo.. :lol: Dang, it's getting expensive..
Personally, I like a Taurus PT 1911.. I"m also shopping around for a RIA that has some upgrades e.g. beaver tail safety grips etc...at a decent price..
Later Jim!

Topic author
stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 11

Post by stevie_d_64 »

This is actually starting to sound pretty good...

I brought a co-worker with "Mrs. Stevie-D / Wife Unit" and I to PSC day, and he's got the bug now...

And since I told him he'll feel better buying two pistols in the near future, I told him he should think about this one as well...I told him I was...

Sure you can spend $$$$ on a good Springfield, Kimber, Les Baer, Colt, etc etc etc...

But for the prices we have been seeing, I can't see how this would be a bad thing as a solid .45 1911 platform...

The co-worker was also impressed with El Gato's "MP"...That was one smooth shooting little pistol!

So I told him, "...if your going to go off the deep end, go well armed..."

Man, I need to start writing this stuff down!
;-)
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

jbenat

Post by jbenat »

Reysc wrote:
jbenat wrote:I read the same article in American Sportsman about the PT1911. Sounded pretty good. I saw one at the Denton Gun Show on 7/22/6. At that time, it was priced at $460.00. Maybe it will be priced the same at the next Mesquite show.
Jim, it's about time you star thinking 1911s!! i promise you won't regret it!! As soon as I slow down from work ( when will that be!!) You are welcome to shoot what I have.. so you can make your decision w/c way to go...Just bring your 45 ammo.. :lol: Dang, it's getting expensive..
Personally, I like a Taurus PT 1911.. I"m also shopping around for a RIA that has some upgrades e.g. beaver tail safety grips etc...at a decent price..
Later Jim!
Thanks for the offer Rey. We got the opportunity to shoot a tricked out Norinco commander at the Collin County Range before it closed. I was amazed! Great trigger, accuracy & recoil management. That made a believer out of me. My long want (need) list grew by one that day but I found a NIB S & W MP 40 for a great price & jumped on it. The long hot Texas summer has taught me that I need a compact for CCW. My next gun will be a MP compact when they come out. After that will be a 1911.
Juanita (my better half) will be buying a 1911 next. Maybe she will let me shoot it occasionally? :roll:
By the way, how's Leo? You haven't shot him lately have you? :lol:
NRA
TSRA
Texas CHL Holder
Member VRWC (Vast Right Wing Conspiracy)

USA OUT OF THE UN - LET THEM APPLAUDE THAT!
Liberal Motto; "We've got what it takes to take what you've got"

lrb111
Posts in topic: 3

Post by lrb111 »

Reysc wrote: I"m also shopping around for a RIA that has some upgrades e.g. beaver tail safety grips etc...at a decent price..
Later Jim!
I just picked up a new RIA about ten days ago. It's the mil-spec 5 inch parkerized.
The mag that came with is great. I bought two Chip McCormick's and had to take a file to the inside of the lips, because of FTF.
It's not a Bullsye's competitor, but it makes a good carry gun.
I wanted a shooter that I could experiment and do "tuning" on.

It does needa larger beavertail. The stock one lets the hammer nibble on me pretty good. :-)
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”