Mauser Trainer?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Posts in topic: 1

Mauser Trainer?

Post by newbie »

Have an 8mm Mauser sent to my dad toward end of WWII from my uncle who says while he was in Germany he took it from a dead German soldier. Heck of a rifle to shoot.
Also have another rifle which looks identical to the 8mm Mauser, except that it is a single-shot .22 caliber. My gunsmith tells me it is a training rifle, more economical for training purposes; he also tells me he would consider it to be "museum" quality.
The rifle was passed on to me by an individual who brought it back from Germany at the end of WWII; he was a truck driver with the Red Ball Express---trying to keep up supply runs to General Patton.
Anyone seen a similar rifle?

Keith B

Re: Mauser Trainer?

Post by Keith B »

newbie wrote:Have an 8mm Mauser sent to my dad toward end of WWII from my uncle who says while he was in Germany he took it from a dead German soldier. Heck of a rifle to shoot.
Also have another rifle which looks identical to the 8mm Mauser, except that it is a single-shot .22 caliber. My gunsmith tells me it is a training rifle, more economical for training purposes; he also tells me he would consider it to be "museum" quality.
The rifle was passed on to me by an individual who brought it back from Germany at the end of WWII; he was a truck driver with the Red Ball Express---trying to keep up supply runs to General Patton.
Anyone seen a similar rifle?
Yep. See http://www.rifleman.org.uk/Mauser_training_rifle.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.gunsamerica.com/955160614/Gu ... dition.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. (I wouldn't necessarily trust the price that is on the Auction site as a value though.)

EDIT TO ADD: This is more realistic on the price http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =158773203" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

STI Shooter

Post by STI Shooter »

A friend I went to High School with had one his dad brought back after WWII. His dad had been a prisoner of war, so not sure of the details of how it got here, but the several times I shot it at the range and also plinking, it was extremely accurate. Rifle was same weight and dimensions as center fire version. Brings back great memories.

Moose

Post by Moose »

I have one too, my father in law gave it to me for christmass a cuple of years ago. Mines not musem good but its ok(on looks). Shooting, its just amazing.
...spelling cost xtra.

gregthehand

Post by gregthehand »

My great uncle brought one back and converted it to a 30.06 sporter. He hand crafted a stock for it and attached a Lyman 4x scope. Then he made a sling with my granddad's name on it and gave it to him. From him to my dad, from my dad to me. My Uncle Buddy was one of the first gunsmith in the San Angelo area and I actually still have some of his hand loads that he made for the rifle although I don't plan on shooting them. The rifle is a real shooter and I remember my granddad dropping a deer from about 200 yards while it was on the run with it. He was high on an ridge and the deer was down below. Anyway maybe tonight I'll bring it out of the safe and take some pics if anyone wants to see it.
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”