Opinions on Pocket Guns (aka fake guns...)

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

wgoforth
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Opinions on Pocket Guns (aka fake guns...)

Post by wgoforth »

I agree bad sites... BUT remember these are for bad breath range. If you have to use it, you probably won't be aiming, just bringing it out and firing. Plus, they wanted limited to avoid snagging. TCP has better sights and the sig 238 even better. For an easily concealed gun, with sights and a better caliber, the Taurus 709 SLIM is a pretty good gun. It can hide in front pockets as well. Less recoil and even fun to shoot.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A-R
Posts in topic: 5

Post by A-R »

wgoforth wrote:Austinrealtor;
You said keep gun dollars in America? The TCP is made in the USA in Miami. The only Taurus that currently is with plans for more. There is a size limit on what can be imported so they built the plant for it here.
Good point. I didn't realize that. Of course, Toyotas and Hondas are often made in the US too. But in all three cases, a big bunch of the money you spend ultimately goes outside our borders. Of course, I am the ultimate hypocrit as we have a Toyota truck and Honda minivan.

I was just bringing up the USA vs. them as a point to consider amongst the three guns.

5thGenTexan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 5thGenTexan »

Consider upgrading to a Kahr PM9 or CW9 with a tuckable IWB, I carry either PM9 or CW40 in a Galco Ultimate Second Amendment pants standard waist size tucks and totaly conceals at 3-4 o'clock position. Need an extra bit in waistband with the other carry guns but the Kahr's just disappear under anything fron dress shirt to loose tees.
5th Generation Texan
"Republicrats and Demicans, it ain't no surprise,
Got their hands full of gimme, they got their mouths full of lies."

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

I wouldn't carry a Kel Tec if you paid me.

Out of those I would go with a ruger.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

gigag04 wrote:I wouldn't carry a Kel Tec if you paid me.
Don't hold back... tell us what you REALLY think! "rlol"
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

wgoforth
Posts in topic: 4

Post by wgoforth »

Interesting...so if a BG was after you and you found a KT handy I assume you wouldn't use it? LOL. Anyway, that's about how these should be considered is emergency use only. They go bang every rime, but no fun. 90% of self defense situations will be under a 12 ft distance. Both the round and the sights should be sufficient for such. I own(ed) all 3 and would rate KT as ok; Ruger good; TCP better; sig 238 even better.

NOTE: Sig has had several problems with the 238. So while it can be a great gun, don't assume given the name and price it is going to be a magically great gun. Mouse guns simply cannot be great guns. They can be adequate but not great. You simply cannot overcome physics.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

karder

Post by karder »

Of the guns you list, I would definitely go with the Ruger LCP. I have not shot all three, only the LCP, but I agree that the fit and finish seems better than the others. I would recommend taking a good look at the LCR before you make that final purchase decision. It comes down to personal taste and preference, but I think the LCR is one of the best pocket guns around. Good luck with you search.
:tiphat:
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

Topic author
gtrman66
Posts in topic: 9

Post by gtrman66 »

I got one bike down right now (primary problem - something broke but I can't figure out what), so I am having trouble breaking away to check out the range at Winchester. Hopefully I can rent the LCR and G26. Maybe something else will be intersting too.

The mousegun site has really been helpful!!! There is some great info on there.
1/9/10 CHL Class
2/2/10 Packet Sent
2/4/10 Delivery Confirmation
2/18/10 Pin Received "Processing Application"
3/4/10 Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
3/13/10 Plastic in Hand!!!

A-R

Post by A-R »

wgoforth wrote:

Interesting...so if a BG was after you and you found a KT handy I assume you wouldn't use it? LOL.
A better question would be if he'd turn in his badge if his department issued Kel Tecs to all officers :mad5

Gigag is not the first LEO I've heard say this about a KT. Opinions of some LEOs I know is what swayed me away from a KT. Not that LEOs are all-knowing gun gurus, but they have a higher likelihood than I'll ever have of actually having to use a gun, even a backup gun. So I take their advice seriously.
wgoforth wrote:NOTE: Sig has had several problems with the 238. So while it can be a great gun, don't assume given the name and price it is going to be a magically great gun. Mouse guns simply cannot be great guns. They can be adequate but not great. You simply cannot overcome physics.
I thought my Colt Mustang was a great gun. Never had a single problem with it, though only owned it about a year or so. And know some others had problems with the Mustangs. Sig is a carbon copy of that gun, so I'd think it will be a very good gun once they work out the first-batch kinks.

If I carried a 1911-style as my main gun, I'd certainly carry a P238 as a backup.

drjoker
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by drjoker »

If you're considering a G26, then just note that a G19 is just a concealable. If you check out the weight of the G26, it weighs almost as much as the G19. There's not much difference. Also, the G26 is just as wide as the G19. When concealing stuff under clothing, only weight and width are the limiting factors. So, if don't mind carrying a G26, then a G19 is just as concealable for you. However, a G19 has a better sight radius and holds roughly 50% more ammo.

Women like the G26 over the G19 because the smaller height and length allows it to be hidden in a smaller purse. So, unless you wear an European man-purse, then I suggest that you go test the G19, too.

Good luck and have fun with guns,
:fire

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

:iagree:

While Kel Tec engineering may be great, seems clear to me that Kel Tec manufacturing is very far from meeting Six Sigma. I have a P3AT that I've written about here several times. It's gone back to the factory twice, and I've replaced the firing pin myself twice more...yet it still has never managed more than about 40 total rounds down the pipe. Never a failure to feed, mind you; just many clicks with no bangs. I've joked that I considered carrying it as a BUG because if a BG took it from me, at least I'd know he couldn't shoot me with it.

I consider Kel Tec a gamble. In my case, I got a lemon. And while they are happy to repair it every time I ship it to them, the overnight FedEx is on my dime (and for a gun of this price that quickly becomes pointless) and Kel Tec would not replace the pistol.
wgoforth wrote:Interesting...so if a BG was after you and you found a KT handy I assume you wouldn't use it? LOL.
I'd try to throw it as accurately and forcefully as I could, hopefully hitting him square on the nose and causing his eyes to water. ;-)
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

marksiwel
Banned

Post by marksiwel »

Ruger LCP and a Glock 26, hmmmm rather go with the Glock
In Capitalism, Man exploits Man. In Communism, it's just the reverse

donh

Post by donh »

My summertime carry is my little LCP in a right front pocket holster; here in the Metroplex it just gets too hot to deal with belt holsters and the problem of covering it up (IMO). The little gun has eaten everything I've fed it, and (with regular practice) it's not a problem to hit center of mass at 10ft. I keep it loaded w/ Gold Dots, and have found .380 target ammo here for about $23/50rnd-box. Whenever it's cool enough for a jacket, I carry my Kahr PM9 in a Mitch Rosen OWB, right kidney position, and much of the time don't notice it is there. Of course the Kahr is much easier to shoot accurately, much higher quality, etc., but I have tried to carry it in a Kydex pocket holster and it does seem to print pretty obviously (maybe I'm just a little too paranoid...).

A-R

Post by A-R »

donh wrote:My summertime carry is my little LCP in a right front pocket holster; here in the Metroplex it just gets too hot to deal with belt holsters and the problem of covering it up (IMO). The little gun has eaten everything I've fed it, and (with regular practice) it's not a problem to hit center of mass at 10ft. I keep it loaded w/ Gold Dots, and have found .380 target ammo here for about $23/50rnd-box. Whenever it's cool enough for a jacket, I carry my Kahr PM9 in a Mitch Rosen OWB, right kidney position, and much of the time don't notice it is there. Of course the Kahr is much easier to shoot accurately, much higher quality, etc., but I have tried to carry it in a Kydex pocket holster and it does seem to print pretty obviously (maybe I'm just a little too paranoid...).
Yeah, you might be paranoid. I carried a PM40 almost exclusively in right front pocket for two years just in a basic DeSantis Nemesis and never had an issue (at least not with printing, with FTF & FTE with the Kahr .... well, my opinions have been stated ad nauseum).

But LCP certainly is an easier pocket carry no doubt.

texastaurusguy

Post by texastaurusguy »

I'm not sure I would make my first gun a small mousegun. If you want to keep the size down, I would opt for something like the Keltec PF9 (which I own) or maybe a Taurus 709. The Keltec is thinner, and has a rail......and is very concealable. In fact, it's the thinnest 9mm you'll ever buy. It's not exactly a range gun, but more so than the 3 you mentioned.

If you are going to buy one of the 3, just pick up each one and decide which one is best for you. I own the Ruger LCP and am very satisfied with it. However, only the Taurus locks the slide back on the last shot. The other two do not. Not sure if this is important to you, but it's there. ;-)

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”