Need Suggestion

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
stash
Posts in topic: 4

Need Suggestion

Post by stash »

First off let me say I am not a hunter and at my age don't plan to start now. With that being said, I do not own a rifle but would like to, mostly just top keep around the house. I would like one that has the shortest barrel that can be legally purchased and it can be lever or AR type but probably not AK type. My handguns are mostly .40 SW, .45 and 357 but also have a 44 mag and a 454 which can also shoot 45 Colt, so some type of lever action in one of those calibers would be good. Also would prefer something that can be purchased at Cabelas or Academy. I have been kinda burned on internet purchases and there are no real good local stores in the rural area where I live. Six/seven hundred dollars would probably be tops to spend, so that would probably leave out the AR type.

I do own a 12 gauge but that thing really puts a hurt on my shoulder so I don't shoot it.

Would appreciate any suggestions from the experts here.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

joe817
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Need Suggestion

Post by joe817 »

To be legal, a rifle MUST have a barrel length of at least 16", and an overall length of 26" per PC 46.01(10).

IMO a lever action would be a good choice. You might be able to pick up a Ruger mini-14 in your price range, although I haven't priced any in many years.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

mr surveyor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mr surveyor »

I think the compact model lever gun in .357 or .44 mag would be excellent choices for an "around the house" gun.

surv
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

pdubyoo

Post by pdubyoo »

I would suggest a lever action 30-30. It's common with a 20" barrel, which makes for a relatively short length rifle. You should be able to find a used one in excellent condition on Gunbroker.com for under $500 easy. I've seen some decent used ones go for under $350 lately.
Nov. 2010...Check!
Nov. 2012...Don't Give Up!
Jan. 2013...True Change!

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I also recommend the lever gun, but I like the 16" barrel in a large pistol caliber (.44 or .357 magnum). They are great car or around the home guns without getting into the power of most rifle rounds. You will get more velocity (power) from the round than a pistol would yield, but these are still not long distance guns. I would hesitate to shoot anything much over 100 yards away with these rounds in this gun.

If you can find one, the Winchester Trapper was a 16" in those two calibers, or 30-30. A quick glance at the marlin web site shows they make one in an 18.5" barrel and .357. The plain model 1894 doesn't give the barrel length but is available in .357, .44, or .45 Colt (one I was not aware of but would also make a good choice). Those are probably with 20" barrels though.
Steve Rothstein

karder

Post by karder »

I think a really great gun to use for home defense is the CX4 from Beretta. It is a very short carbine so it is easy to handle in tight quarters. You can get it in 9mm, .40, or .45. My brother-in-law has one in .45 and it is a very soft shooter and seems really reliable. You can check it out on the Beretta website. It may be a little near the top end of your price range, but from what you are describing, I think it would fit the bill pretty well. I am thinking about getting one myself, but I kind of want the H&K USC. That is a really nice piece but the price tag is awfully high, especially with the CX4 as an option. Anyway, just a suggestion. Good luck in your search.
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

KingofKaty

Post by KingofKaty »

Marlin model 336 .30-.30 lever action at Academy for $400. Only 6 shots but that should be more than enough.

Here it is:

http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=c ... 01686-0031" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SW9VE, Rossi .38spl, Ruger LCP
10/06/2009 - Online App.
10/31/2009 - CHL Class
11/02/2009 - Packet mailed to DPS
11/04/2009 - Rec'd at DPS
11/09/2009 - Processing App.
11/25/2009 - App. Completed - license issued or certificate active
12/04/2009 - License in hand

KingofKaty

Post by KingofKaty »

What about the Hi-Point 995 or 40995? Short barrel, uses pistol ammo. Sells for around $200. Not available at your local Academy, but surely you can find a FFL in your area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hi-Point_Carbine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SW9VE, Rossi .38spl, Ruger LCP
10/06/2009 - Online App.
10/31/2009 - CHL Class
11/02/2009 - Packet mailed to DPS
11/04/2009 - Rec'd at DPS
11/09/2009 - Processing App.
11/25/2009 - App. Completed - license issued or certificate active
12/04/2009 - License in hand

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

karder wrote:I think a really great gun to use for home defense is the CX4 from Beretta. It is a very short carbine so it is easy to handle in tight quarters. You can get it in 9mm, .40, or .45. My brother-in-law has one in .45 and it is a very soft shooter and seems really reliable. You can check it out on the Beretta website. It may be a little near the top end of your price range, but from what you are describing, I think it would fit the bill pretty well. I am thinking about getting one myself, but I kind of want the H&K USC. That is a really nice piece but the price tag is awfully high, especially with the CX4 as an option. Anyway, just a suggestion. Good luck in your search.

I also have a CX4 Storm in 9mm, and it is an excellent "close quarters" carbine. With a light on the lower front rail, it's excellent for a pistol round carbine. My suggestion to the OP for the lever gun chamered in .357 mag, or .44 mag, was in part due to the fact he already has revolvers chambered in those calibers. It's pretty handy to have handguns and long guns using the same ammo. Personally, I would opt for the short barreled lever gun in the much more potent "revolver magnum round" for the versatility factor, if I were "in the market". Other than the "cool factor", my only reason for buying the CX4 was the fact that I got it in very slightly used condition with the original hard case, three Beretta 15 round mags, three (crummy) aftermarket 30 round mags, new top rail, and a couple of boxes of ammo for an even $500. I probably wouldn't pay the current asking price of +/- $900.

surv
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

Well I would go lever action. I have the .30 .30 Winchester Marlin 336. Great round and very cheap as rifle rounds go, I got it at academy. Can't remember how much but I know it is under $500. Another option like others said .357 and .44 because you already have revolvers in those rounds. If you are an older gentlemen (no insult intended, my dad doesn't like his 12 gauge either because he is on blood thinners that make him bruise easily) and don’t like the kick of a full rifle round a 357 would more then get the job done in home defense. Just depends how much power you want and how much recoil you can stand. I think the .30 .30 has more kick then my 20 gauge and my dad's 12 gauge Mossberg. The .357 might be a better option in hindsight. If you don’t like the 12 gauge then you will not like the .30 .30. Also if you would want a different shotgun a 20 gauge is great. My girlfriend who is only 4feet 10inches can shoot a 20 gauge all day long.

Topic author
stash

Post by stash »

Appreciate all the suggestions. I wonder if anyone anymore makes a lever action with the 16 in. bbl. I thought of the Beretta CX4 but that is probably out if it is going for $900. I have also had my eye on that Marlin 336 but I would like a shorter bbl. Maybe I should not be so picky. May take a drive out to Cabela's since I got $100 off certificate in the mail yesterday and see what happens. I probably will put the long gun off for awhile and use it for a LCP.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

stash wrote:Appreciate all the suggestions. I wonder if anyone anymore makes a lever action with the 16 in. bbl. I thought of the Beretta CX4 but that is probably out if it is going for $900. I have also had my eye on that Marlin 336 but I would like a shorter bbl. Maybe I should not be so picky. May take a drive out to Cabela's since I got $100 off certificate in the mail yesterday and see what happens. I probably will put the long gun off for awhile and use it for a LCP.
One thing to remember, is that if you were to find a shorter barrel 30-30, it won't be able to hold as many rounds.

I agree with CC Italian - I think that the 30-30 Marlin will have a recoil on par with a 12 gauge. You might look at the .44 Magnum instead.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
stash

Post by stash »

OK, not to throw a fly in the ointment for me. Yesterday I got an advertisement from this outfit that will have for sale a Bushmaster M4 556/223 Rem with a 14 or 16 inch bbl. First of all I did not know that us mere mortals could own a long gun with a 14 in bbl but I guess we can. Keeping in mind like I posted originally, this gun would be an around the house, HD gun and 14 inches sounds pretty good for that purpose but would the 556/223 be adequate. If I am correct bullet is pretty light but maybe velocity trumps the light weigh. Forgot, the sale price is $999.99 (you think they could just round it off to an even thousand).

Also this outfit (Cabela's) will have the Beretta CX-4 for sale. They do not give the sale price but indicate $100 off. This might be even better for me if they have the thing in 45 ACP and might be less expensive than the M4 but never the less I have already exceeded what I wanted to spend as set out in my original post.

OK, here is a dumb question, but like I said, I am not familiar with long guns, is 556 and 223 one and the same. Sometimes I see these things for sale and they just indicate 223 and sometimes 556/223?

I will probably go with the Beretta it is less expensive but would like your alls opinions. Thanks
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

koolaid

Post by koolaid »

stash wrote:OK, not to throw a fly in the ointment for me. Yesterday I got an advertisement from this outfit that will have for sale a Bushmaster M4 556/223 Rem with a 14 or 16 inch bbl. First of all I did not know that us mere mortals could own a long gun with a 14 in bbl but I guess we can.
You cannot own a rifle with a 14" barrel unless it either has a permanently attached flash hider that brings the overall barrel length to 16" or you do the paperwork for an SBR, which includes paying a $200 tax and getting a signoff from the chief law enforcement officer in your area (or setting up a trust to own the gun).

Otherwise, stay away.
01/02/2010 - Plastic

RECIT
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RECIT »

I have owned a CX4 in 9mm and I had quite a few rounds through it with NO failures of any kind. I had a few 15rd and a few 20rd Beretta mags that never gave me any trouble. Installed a cheap red dot and I was good to go. It would shoot one ragged hole with any number of rounds at 50yds so I was very pleased. Budsgunshop.com just had a sale on the CX4 in .45acp for $550.00 if you were registered with them. Normally I think they sell for $650. The .45 version is a lot cheaper than the .40sw or the 9mm for some reason. One bad thing about the .45acp model is that magazine capacity. I think its only 7 or 8rds and no one else makes higher capacity mags. I think the CX4 is an excellent choice for what you are looking to use it for and if you shop right it can be had for your price range. I think it is a better choice than an AR type rifle due to cost of the rifle and cost of ammo. Good luck in shopping and let us know what you choose.
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”