Irritating visit to Collectors Firearms today

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

CLTX11
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Irritating visit to Collectors Firearms today

Post by CLTX11 »

I only run into them at Gun Shows, guys have no clue what they are selling.
Right after I asked the dealer a question another buyer came up and started asking him the same question, I ended up telling the buyer that these guys were idiots and I would not give them my money and proceeded to walk off. The seller just sat their wondering what was going on.

I just can't help it but if you are going to sale something make sure you know what you are talking about.
Tarrant County
07-11-09 - Class
07-13-09 - Packet Mailed
07-14-09 - DPS Received Packet
07-31-09 - PIN received
09-04-09 - Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
09-11-09 - Plastic in hand

Topic author
YabuUS

Post by YabuUS »

Judging from the responses to my post I'd say I'm not the only one who has had a less than satisfactory experience in a gun shop around here (Houston). To be honest I'm surprised this thread has gone on this long. I didn't "hate" my visit to Collectors Firearms as someone has suggested. I used the word "irritation" in my post and I think that is about right. I'm not saying I will never trade at Collectors again - you can't argue with their large inventory. I have found things there that I couldn't find anywhere else. I was just taking advantage of this forum to vent a little frustration at their apparent lack of knowledge about the guns they are selling. Maybe I just got hold of the greenest least trained clerk in the store, who knows. I know I have sworn I would never deal with Carter's Country three or four times. Fact is though I end up going back there from time to time when they have what I'm looking for. I'm sure we can all agree that the gun shops as a whole charge too much for their goods. Not sure what we can do about that. Let's face it, in this political climate it's a seller's market where guns and ammunition are concerned. If you want it you are going to have to pay their price. Sometimes their price is just too much to swallow - as in this case. I'm not sure if I will buy that particular gun online from Bud's or not. I may just put off buying period for now. But this is my final thought on the subject: gun shops are not like Walmart or Sears - they are "speciality" shops and I think it is not unreasonable to expect the people working there to be knowledgeable about the guns they sell - at least knowledgeable enough to answer a few simple questions that a customer might ask. I wasn't so angry to cause a scene or make a big deal of this - just disappointed a bit. :???:

DoubleJ
Posts in topic: 3

Post by DoubleJ »

YabuUS wrote:I wasn't so angry to cause a scene or make a big deal of this
Where's the fun in that???? :anamatedbanana
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

tateb24
Posts in topic: 2

Post by tateb24 »

Edited,
Last edited by tateb24 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CHL Class taken: 02/15/09
Plastic in Hand: 07/29/09
Swamphouse Woodworks
Harris County

gregthehand

Post by gregthehand »

No the guy that wears the six shooter is kind of short and squaty. It's a pretty silly looking rig. They are pretty close to my house so I go check them out sometimes. For me it's mostly just to look around and see all the different models they have. Their prices are insane really. I'm talking about beat up used guns trying to be sold for more than a new one costs me elsewhere. Also yes their customer service is for the most part poor. I have had a few incidents with salesman that have rubbed me the wrong way as well. I personally think I understand how they sell firearms. Mainly I have seen people in their buying guns. Let me tell you that every single one of them fits into the "clueless" category. Bewilderment in their eyes, talking about this being their first ever firearms purchase, etc etc etc. Now I do also see collectors in there that understand that they are buying it there because it's very hard to find. But as far as everyday available at every store firearms they seem to sell to people that just don't know much better.
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

Bill

Post by Bill »

gregthehand wrote: Mainly I have seen people in their buying guns. Let me tell you that every single one of them fits into the "clueless" category. .
except one!!!
retired CHL Instructor

tateb24

Post by tateb24 »

They definately have location. I think that is the only thing that helps them with the business. So many people go in there and never realize the inventory they have. I think they are the biggest gun shop in the US.
CHL Class taken: 02/15/09
Plastic in Hand: 07/29/09
Swamphouse Woodworks
Harris County

TDDude

Post by TDDude »

WarHawk-AVG wrote:Well...at least you have to hand it to the guy..he said "I don't know" instead of blowing some "armchair commando" smoike up your skirt.

I hate talking to "tacticool" gun dealers who think they know about guns but when they open their mouths they just sound like a walking talking sales flier.
When I'm going to put down a grand or so on anything, I guarantee that I’ll go in that store knowing more than anyone in the place about that product. I don’t care if it’s a TV, refrigerator, car, or firearm. I will have done quite a bit of research on that one item and a few like it and I expect to know more than the “counter guy”. So, since I expect to know more than the counter guy, then it doesn’t bother me that I do. The only question I usually ask is, “Do you mind if I dry fire this thing?” I will ask specific questions about any flaws that I see, especially if I’m looking at a used piece, which usually is the case. And I really don’t expect the guy to know the answer. I’m really looking for negotiating tools. If a gun is priced as a NIB and I’m seeing this and that, then I’m hammering away at a lower price right from the get-go. Like I said, I would do the same thing if it were a refrigerator or a car.

So, quit bumming the counter guys when they don’t know as much as you do.

Now, as to Collectors; I went there 7 years ago right before my plastic came in because I had heard they had a great holster collection and I needed a holster.

I went in, violating my own personal rules because I knew nothing about holsters.

The guy that waited on me spent at least an hour. He went to their stock and pulled a similar pistol to the one I was going to carry and pulled countless holsters out of their bags and I spent that hour trying things on, walking around, and generally getting an idea of what would work. I tried pancake, paddles, SOB, IWB, Ankle, and whatever else they had. I felt like a sophomore girl going to her first prom looking for shoes.

I ended up getting an IWB from a (then) little known Houston holster maker called Tucker Gunleather. I ended up getting a Heritage Special and had it built with the added feature of having belt loops cut in case I wanted to use it as a pancake.

I purchased that holster and a Galco CB4 belt and spent around $250.00 for both.

I was very impressed with the fella that waited on me for so long with a relatively small sale at the end and told him as much. I left with a very good feeling from doing business with Collectors.

Now, we skip ahead 4 years or so:

Kydex clips do wear out and have to be replaced every 6-12 months. I purchased my first 2 sets of spare Kydex clips from Collectors for the obvious reason that it gave me an excuse to go in there and look around. On my third set, I was told that they didn’t have any. Not only did they not have any clips, they had NEVER stocked them and that they had NEVER sold Tucker holsters.

High prices don’t bother me so much if they are the only place in town that has stock and the personnel to actually sell that stock but I hold no truck for this. :banghead:

I’ve related this story on this forum before and it’s not my intention to beat that horse again but I will repeat the fact that I too have never darkened their door again and never will.
Ray F.
Luke 22:35-38 "Gear up boys, I gotta go and it's gonna get rough." JC
-- Darrell Royal, former UT football coach - "If worms carried pistols, birds wouldn't eat 'em."

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”