Labor Day at the Range...San Antonio

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
LaserTex
Posts in topic: 2

Labor Day at the Range...San Antonio

Post by LaserTex »

Invite to all - Noon for lunch at http://schlotzskys.findlocation.com/map ... &LocId=288

Then out to http://www.bullethole.com/ by 12:45 ish.

Cell is 210 -289-9032 - Name is Doug - won't hear cell after 1300 hrs. :fire

Doug :txflag:
LaserTex
Air Force Retired ** Life Member VFW ** NRA Member **
** Life Member AmVets ** Patriot Guard Rider **

Topic author
LaserTex

Re: Labor Day at the Range...San Antonio

Post by LaserTex »

Had a great time. Met up with one from the forum. I like the baby Glock a lot! Thanks Dave and until next time!

Doug :txflag:
LaserTex
Air Force Retired ** Life Member VFW ** NRA Member **
** Life Member AmVets ** Patriot Guard Rider **

TexasFlash

Post by TexasFlash »

My pleasure; had been too long since I've been to the range. Now we get to restock! Thanks again for the invite. Let me know when you want to do it again.

Dave :txflag:

Otto N. Sure

Post by Otto N. Sure »

I was out of town this week-end, but if you want to do this again then please let me know! I really need some trigger time and it's a lot more fun if you can go shoot with new friends! :fire
Otto

Life Member: NRA; Single Action Shooting Society. Forum Moderator: CZForum.com

TexasFlash

Post by TexasFlash »

Will do, Otto; the more the merrier! Welcome to the forum!
:txflag:

Otto N. Sure

Post by Otto N. Sure »

TexasFlash...really lookin' forward to it. I've been out to Bracken, just to observe as I was recovering from a broken wrist, and it seems like an ok place. I can't understand their fee structure... a fee per gun? Seems kind of strange. I could shoot 200 rounds with my CZ 97 or 50 rounds with my CZ RAMI and 50 rounds with my CZ 75B and 50 rounds with my CZ 75C and 50 rounds with the CZ 97...still 200 rounds, but the cost would be 4 times as much. That doesn't make much sense to me.

Anyway let me know when you're headin' out to the range!
Otto

Life Member: NRA; Single Action Shooting Society. Forum Moderator: CZForum.com

jsimmons
Banned

Post by jsimmons »

Otto N. Sure wrote:TexasFlash...really lookin' forward to it. I've been out to Bracken, just to observe as I was recovering from a broken wrist, and it seems like an ok place. I can't understand their fee structure... a fee per gun? Seems kind of strange. I could shoot 200 rounds with my CZ 97 or 50 rounds with my CZ RAMI and 50 rounds with my CZ 75B and 50 rounds with my CZ 75C and 50 rounds with the CZ 97...still 200 rounds, but the cost would be 4 times as much. That doesn't make much sense to me.
All ranges have their own fee structures. I don't really pay much attention to the fees at Bracken because they run a tight, well-maintained range. I've been to BulletHole and don't care for their overall range maintenance, nor supervision. I have a REAL problem with the fact that there is no obstruction between the pistol lines and the 50-yard rifle line, and more importantly, because they have no range masters patrolling the firing lines. I would much rather shoot at Bracken then BulletHole. Several guys I work with share my opinion.

Disclaimer: I haven't been back to BulletHole in the last two years, so things may have changed.
Took class, paid fees, changed my mind. I want constitutional carry.

bobdavis

Post by bobdavis »

Bracken range has installed plywood sheets that extend downward off the roof covering their pistol range (7 and 15 yard lines). They're so low that I, when standing, can't see the bottom of the targets on the 15 yard line at all. I have to sit or crouch down. It's ridiculous.

I don't know why they did this- sun protection? Ricochet protection? Anyway, when I complained the owner suggested I shoot sitting. :???: Really?

Anyway - I wasted an hour with that place Monday and didn't get a single round downrange. At least they gave me my money back.

I'll not return.

The Bullet Hole has always been good for me. I've seen no more unsafe behavior there than at any range I've ever shot at. And I've never seen anyone point a loaded revolver at their face to see what the ends of the bullets looked like in the cylinder (at Bracken) .... yep. I don't think a through and through would have hit me, but I would definitely have had brain on me.

bob
05.09.2009 : CHL Course Completed (http://www.lonestarhandgun.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
05.11.2009 : Paperwork Mailed
05.12.2009 : Paperwork Received
05.18.2009 : DPS Cashed Check
06.18.2009 : PIN received
09.03.2009 : Application Approved
09.09.2009 : In Hand

USA1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by USA1 »

bobdavis wrote: I don't know why they did this- sun protection? Ricochet protection?
i have been told its to keep people from firing to high and causing stray bullets to leave the property .
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

jsimmons
Banned

Post by jsimmons »

bobdavis wrote:Bracken range has installed plywood sheets that extend downward off the roof covering their pistol range (7 and 15 yard lines). They're so low that I, when standing, can't see the bottom of the targets on the 15 yard line at all. I have to sit or crouch down. It's ridiculous.

I don't know why they did this- sun protection? Ricochet protection?
They did it to keep people from firing over the berms. But I agree, it's ridiculous. If someone shoots through the plywood, the bullet is still gonna go over the berms. It should be real interesting when I go for my CHL this weekend. They're gonna use bracken for the live fire portion.
bobdavis wrote: Anyway, when I complained the owner suggested I shoot sitting. :???: Really?

Anyway - I wasted an hour with that place Monday and didn't get a single round downrange. At least they gave me my money back.

I'll not return.
At least he gave you your money back (another benefit of their cash-only system). They even have people monitoring the various firing lines now. That's new, too. It used to be they would only come out when it was time to change targets.
bobdavis wrote: The Bullet Hole has always been good for me. I've seen no more unsafe behavior there than at any range I've ever shot at. And I've never seen anyone point a loaded revolver at their face to see what the ends of the bullets looked like in the cylinder (at Bracken) .... yep. I don't think a through and through would have hit me, but I would definitely have had brain on me.
Bullet Hole has never treated me wrong either, but I need the ability to shoot offhand at 100 yards, and they don't allow it. That's as ridiculous as Bracken's bullet shroud. Wetmore Shooting Sports is going to be opening up a range on the south side (near the 251/181 junction) in the near future.
Took class, paid fees, changed my mind. I want constitutional carry.

Derekhie
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Derekhie »

Guess I missed the get together. I was there but in the steel bay shooting.

bobdavis

Post by bobdavis »

jsimmons wrote: Bullet Hole has never treated me wrong either, but I need the ability to shoot offhand at 100 yards, and they don't allow it. That's as ridiculous as Bracken's bullet shroud. Wetmore Shooting Sports is going to be opening up a range on the south side (near the 251/181 junction) in the near future.
I think their latest improvements have fixed this problem. Their rifle range now is a ground-level concrete slab with moveable tables/benches/etc. and nothing blocking you from shooting prone, freehand, seated on ground, or on a bench. It's much more flexible.

bob
05.09.2009 : CHL Course Completed (http://www.lonestarhandgun.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
05.11.2009 : Paperwork Mailed
05.12.2009 : Paperwork Received
05.18.2009 : DPS Cashed Check
06.18.2009 : PIN received
09.03.2009 : Application Approved
09.09.2009 : In Hand

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”