Sporting Arms....Anyone Know The Owner??

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
TexasAggie
Posts in topic: 2

Sporting Arms....Anyone Know The Owner??

Post by TexasAggie »

I don't understand businesses that fail to return or answer a simple email or call. I already bought one firearm there due to all the praise about them here on the forum. I've left two voice mails and sent two emails.....all VERY polite.....NO response. If they weren't so rock bottom cheap, I'd happily go somewhere else. Who else can I contact besides Becky?? Ready to buy again, but if this keeps up, happy to buy elsewhere. :waiting:

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Sporting Arms....Anyone Know The Owner??

Post by flechero »

I think it's a one person show... and being the end of summer, vacation is a possibility. What is the time span you've been leaving messages?

gemini

Post by gemini »

Sometimes it takes her a few days to answer her voice and emails. It tends to irritate me too, but she is a working mom and tries to balance the work and the mothering. I've bought several items from her in the past and her prices managed to beat everyone elses. Her internet sales are a large part of her business. If you ordered a gun, it may take her awhile to find one from a distributor if it's not in stock. But, she'll honor the price quote even if the wholesale price increases between the time you order and the time she can receive the gun.
If you can't wait, try Bachman Gun & Pawn. Or better yet, try Bachman Gun & Pawn at the next Market Hall Gun Show. They usually give an additional 10% off on gun show sales.
Good luck.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

TexasAggie wrote:Who else can I contact besides Becky?? Ready to buy again, but if this keeps up, happy to buy elsewhere. :waiting:
Becky IS the owner. It is her business - not her husband's. Yes, it does take her a while to return calls and emails sometimes, but not always. I've purchased 3 firearms from them - a Remington 700 VSF in .308, a Rock River Arms 24" stainless bull barreled varminter, and a Kimber Pro Raptor - all at very good prices. Becky is as sweet as could be, and when she does get around to returning your calls/emails, she will be very apologetic and will give you good service.

One of the reasons that she can't always get back to you right away is that the business is run out of her home, and in addition to being a wife and businesswoman, she is also a mom. That's one of the reasons she doesn't answer the phone before 11:00 a.m., and she isn't open 7 days a week. But she is a nice, Christian woman, and if you get past being upset with her, you'll find that she's an absolute pleasure to deal with.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

texasnative
Posts in topic: 3

Post by texasnative »

I agree with the OP that regardless of someone's personal situation, a prompt response from any business is not too much to expect.

You might try the Ft. Worth Gun Show this weekend or the Market Hall Gun Show next weekend...prices have come down over the past couple of months and you will likely find just as good if not better deals there.

I'll never understand why it is ok to lower the expectations of ANY business just because she is nice, a mom, a Christian, a businesswoman, works out of her house, on vacation, is a sole proprieteor, doesn't have the help of her husband, etc, etc. Not returning phone calls or emails in a timely manner is simply not professional..period. Consumers will have a tendency to go elsewhere with their money if this type of business practice continues, as well they should.

I'm not saying she is not a good person, I would assume that she is (esp with all the positive personal comments directed toward her), but not returning the phone calls/emails of a returning motivated customer....there really is no defense nor legitimate excuse.

It is up to the OP wheather they have the patience or time to let this slide or whether they walk. Just my $.02. Ok I'm finished.
--texasnative

redoregon

Post by redoregon »

So if her kid got hit by a car and she's been sleeping in his hospital room hoping he'd wake up, it's not professional to answer emails/calls for that time? Not trying to be too rude, but you just can't make a judgement call like that in the blind. Now if she just feels like drinking coffee and eating donuts for a few days, then I'd agree with you, but without knowing the situation....

Especially, as has been pointed out, it's a one-woman show.

JMHO! :tiphat:
NRA/TSRA member
7/11/09: training finished
8/4: app sent
8/12: check cashed
8/22: PIN received
8/24: Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
9/28/09: Plastic in hand

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Let's look at it this way..... She's operating a business out of her home. I applaud her for that. In fact I think that's a really neat way to make a living.

You are also getting the best deal around, saving money. I SURE applaud you for that. The price you pay for getting the best deal around, is not IMMEDIATE contact with her. If IMMEDIATE contact and satisfaction are your major priorities, then maybe purchasing your gun at a walk in gun store, with immediate customer service is the way to go.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

Prior to opening my own business I bought several handguns from her. She was always professional and replied back within a day. Times do come in peoples lives where health and family require all of ones attention and there is not enough time in the day to do everything we should. I do not know the particular situation, what I do know is her past performance deserves people to cut them some slack. Everybody always has the choice to shop elsewhere...
Salty1

texasnative

Post by texasnative »

I do wish her well. We need more small businesses and I believe, we should support them. Hopefully, regardless of the excuse, this lack of response issue (which seems to be the norm, based on previous posts), is only temporary... and if it is not temporary, then she takes some type of definitive action (ie hiring part time help, more hours, etc) to alleviate the problem. There is not reason a business can not offer great prices and great customer service. Eventually the market will decide what is the most important.
--texasnative

Mike from Texas

Post by Mike from Texas »

Does this place have a website?

I am looking for a very particular PM45 and I can't find one at a decent price ANYWHERE.
A few Glocks, a few Kahrs, Dan Wesson CBOB 10mm, Dan Wesson CBOB 45ACP, Springer Champion Operator

****************************************************************************************************

texasnative

Post by texasnative »

http://www.sportingarms.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
--texasnative

Topic author
TexasAggie
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TexasAggie »

Thank you to ALL the above (and future below?) replies. Good points, and let me assure EVERYONE that I was not rude at all. I know all about running your own business as I'm one of them. For what its worth, I like to look at least two samples of anything I buy. She only had one in stock, so I wanted to prepay in advance to order another one (long story, but there were some cosmetic issues with my first purchase several months ago, but Ruger really DOES have outstanding customer service and fixed the scratches and a few nicks from a brand new gun) and take the best of two. Purely cosmetic. I asked if I could do that, again, willing to pay in full upfront....no answer.

I have no hard feelings at all, just disappointed in the lack of communication. I absolutely prefer to support the local businesses, but on this one, I've already arranged to get the same item at Bass Pro. They're matching the price and have 3 in stock. Picking it up tonight. :cheers2:

particle

Post by particle »

I've bought a Howa 1500 barreled action, Springfield XD .40, DPMS stripped lower receiver, Sig Mosquito, Henry .22 Carbine lever action, and my DW CBOB 1911, and used her FFL services to trade a rifle for another rifle, and also to receive my DW CBOB after it was replaced under warranty because my first one had an out of spec frame.

I think I griped about the lack of communication every time, but in the end, I appreciate the fact that her family is her priority. Every time I'm in there, the phone is ringing off the hook - and she never answers it! When I show up at the door, she's finishing up with another customer. By the time I leave, someone else is just showing up. She's EXTREMELY busy.
http://www.adamsleatherworks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ninemm

Post by ninemm »

As Yogi would say, "Nobody goes there anymore because it's too crowded."

rgunn

Post by rgunn »

TexasAggie wrote:I don't understand businesses that fail to return or answer a simple email or call. I already bought one firearm there due to all the praise about them here on the forum. I've left two voice mails and sent two emails.....all VERY polite.....NO response. If they weren't so rock bottom cheap, I'd happily go somewhere else. Who else can I contact besides Becky?? Ready to buy again, but if this keeps up, happy to buy elsewhere. :waiting:
I have used Sporting Arms on several transactions over the last year or so, they are about a mile from my office, but I do not now. The lack of communications is a deal breaker. The last time I used http://northtexasarms.com/cart/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , its a drive to Highland Village but really good people and great communication.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”