single-stack DAO 9mm compact roundup

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

CompVest
Posts in topic: 1

Re: single-stack DAO 9mm compact roundup

Post by CompVest »

mr.72 wrote:
OverEasy wrote:Well, gee, I'm sorry I tried to help. You can bet I won't let it happen again!
Regards, OE
sheesh.

Wasn't just you, OE. most of the suggestions here are for midsize double-stack pistols that are over 1" thick. At least your suggestion was a single-stack :)
It appears that this happens to quite a few of the threads. Members just want to share their likes and opinions even if they are not quite on topic!
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

wilder

Post by wilder »

If you like everything about the Kahr except the reliability or your particular gun, consider trading up to a PM9. I could certainly understand if you feel burned by them, but the PM9 is a nicer version of what you already have and seems to have a good service record. The PF9 and PPS that you've identified are really the only other options I'm aware of that meet your criteria.

Topic author
mr.72
Posts in topic: 11

Post by mr.72 »

wilder wrote:If you like everything about the Kahr except the reliability or your particular gun, consider trading up to a PM9. I could certainly understand if you feel burned by them, but the PM9 is a nicer version of what you already have and seems to have a good service record. The PF9 and PPS that you've identified are really the only other options I'm aware of that meet your criteria.
The P9 is the upgrade path from a CW9, although nothing about the reliability problem is upgraded in a P9. The entire frame is identical on a P9 and a CW9. The guide rod is stainless on a P9, blued on a CW. The barrel is different, but only in the rifling. Most of the differences are in the milling on the slide and the barrel rifling.

Kahr is working really hard to try and fix my issues, but I am not sure I want to drop another 300 rounds on a Kahr 9mm in order to determine, again, that it is unreliable.
non-conformist CHL holder

mblud
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mblud »

mr.72 wrote:
android wrote:Rohrbaugh R9 9mm
yeah... that's a bit small... looking for something more like regular "compact" dimensions, more than one finger on the grip, etc.

and

What about the H&K P2000 SK? Thought it is a bit thick at 1.25" and expensive!
again... double-stack >1" thick pistol, I already have one of those. :mrgreen:
Sorry about that, I should have re-read your post before replying.
If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. Samuel Adams

A-R
Posts in topic: 5

Post by A-R »

Mr. 72, I'm stumped.

Single stack 9mm under 1-inch thickness, DAO. You say "full size" grip, does this mean all three fingers on grip? what about grip extensions?

The guns you've covered ...

Kel Tec PF-9
Walther PPS
Kahr steel-frame guns
Taurus Slim (I would think you could just ignore the safety on this gun and carry it DAO - long trigger pull should be sufficient, but perhaps the weight of that trigger pull is not? I'd have to take a third look at that gun to be sure).

Single stack Sig P239 or any of the older metal-frame S&W semi-autos would be more than 1-inch thick.

What about a used Smith & Wesson Chief's Special 9? I saw a CS9 at Austin Saxet gun show last month. Was quite expensive - $600? - for used, but had three or four mags with it. I can't find the width specs in a quick internet search, and it does have an external safety/decocker (but again, I don't think using it is mandatory - could be carried DAO with weight of trigger pull as only external safety). From holding it, it was definitely wider than my PPS but probably very close to width of a steel-frame Kahr, maybe a tad wider?

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... y_rn=26805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some photos in this thread comparing it to a S&W j-frame revolver ... http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=394452" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also mentioned in above thread is a HK P7 - saw one of those used at Austin Gun Liquidators a month or so ago (no idea if he still has it). But they aren't cheap.

By the way, I'd be happy to let you shoot my Walther PPS if you want to try it out. Just PM me if you're interested.

AggieC05

Post by AggieC05 »

it isnt single stack, but the P11 is my carry weapon and it is as thin as a lot of single stacks real easy to tuck away

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Single stack 9mm compacts not previously mentioned:

Sccy Industries CPX-1: http://www.sccyindustries.com/2009/CPX_1_Black.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Astra A-75 L
S&W 3953

Due to the purchasing criteria, choices are limited.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

A-R

Post by A-R »

SCCY is a good suggestion. But has anyone ever shot one of those or know anything about reliability?

iratollah

Post by iratollah »

H&K P7. SAO, but you can put it into play faster than any DAO, it has a better trigger and is safer than a DAO.
it's socially unacceptable to be ahead of your time.
L'Olam Lo - Never Again

Topic author
mr.72

Post by mr.72 »

It seems that I am right back where I started on all of this. My choices are to either keep my Kahr or replace it with another Kahr, downgrade to a Kel-Tec PF9 or similar (Sccy? altho I think it's double-stack... a Kel-Tec P11 copy basically, right?), or "upgrade" to a Walther PPS. But really these are the players in the no-safety, DAO, single-stack compact 9mm market.

We'll see if Kahr can come through on my CW9. It's back at the mother ship for the 2nd time right now. Crossing my fingers.

mr surveyor
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mr surveyor »

mr. 72

I fought with exactly the same search you did.... except my search for the ultimate (within my price range of $600+/-) concealable 9mm started several years ago with the purchase of a KT PF9. Having had prior experience with most all other offerings of KT (P11, P32, P3AT, Sub2000), I had about a 50% expectation of a return trip to the mother ship for some type of tune up since mine was a fairly early release model. My first one suffered the known transfer bar problem and I finally did send it back. KT has about the best warranty and customer service I have ever seen, and they took care of my issue. Actually, they normally upgrade guns when the are returned for any type of malfunction and add any new parts to bring the gun into a more modern release style. My PF9 actually came back as a new pistol, with my original serial number stamped on it. Although the replacement seemed like it would prove to be 100% reliable, my abilities to put rounds on target decreased substantially with it. Soooo.....back to the search......I ended up with a Kahr CW9. Out of the box it was flawless, and has been the same through the first 350 rounds. Obviously a low round count, but to me it's pretty amazing to not have a single FTE, FTF, stovepipe, etc. in that number of rounds. And I do not use the "suggested" charging method of slide lock release.

All of these small guns, including Rohrbaugh and Seecamp, are on the very cutting edge of operational capability, reliability and durability. Some models, such as those from Seecamp, are extremely ammo sensitive and the manufacturer specifies a load that will operate. KelTec recommends using only clean brass cased ammo, so no commie steel cased or "bi-metal" cased or CCI aluminum cased ammo. As the size and weight decreases and the firepower increases, they all will break down much sooner than a good old original 1911 or 40 ounce revolver.

I understand your desire to find the ultimate concealable 9mm. I also have a Kimber Compact that's about 1.1" wide and a Sig P239 .40 cal (single stack) that's 1.2" wide, and both are great guns in the hand, but I too wanted something smaller for comfortable IWB carry. The PF9 at 0.88" wide is much easier to carry IWB, and the Kahr at 0.90" is nearly identical. My original idea was to just get rid of the light weight tupperware, which I think is one of the major culprits of malfunctions in the super small guns, and go with something all steel like the Kahr MK9. The $750 price tag wasn't in the cards at the time but the $450 CW9 was. I'm happy... so far.... but I have also come to accept the fact that small, light weight, high powered (for the size) handguns can, and will, break at some point, and the problems will persist until the often minor flaw in a single part is isolated.

We definately have a common interest in finding the ultimate small package 9mm. Good luck in your search.

surv

oh... and I too am only considering DAO models without external safeties in the "search"
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

Topic author
mr.72

Post by mr.72 »

In my case, the only CONSISTENT problem I have had with my CW9 is the low-percentage light strikes on WWB ammo. I did have a severe problem that they repaired. But it fits my hand great, I shoot it on target extremely well, and it conceals and carries very easily. To me the Kahr P9/CW9/K9 pistol format is nearly ideal in terms of fit, concealment and shootability (enough fingers on the grip). Almost all of the other "contenders" are almost identical size-wise as the Kahrs but lack grip length to get all of your fingers on the grip (KT, Walther).

Here's hoping Kahr will fix it right this time.

I should note that my severe problem with my Kahr happened after the 350 round mark.

A-R

Post by A-R »

Actually with the 7-round and 8-round mags on the Walther PPS 9mm a full three-finger grip is no problem. There is a 6-round flush-fit mag that only allows for two fingers, but is really only worthwhile for deep concealment like pocket carry or perhaps bag carry.

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

austinrealtor wrote:Actually with the 7-round and 8-round mags on the Walther PPS 9mm a full three-finger grip is no problem. There is a 6-round flush-fit mag that only allows for two fingers, but is really only worthwhile for deep concealment like pocket carry or perhaps bag carry.

and what is the slide width on the Walther?

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

mr.72 wrote:In my case, the only CONSISTENT problem I have had with my CW9 is the low-percentage light strikes on WWB ammo. I did have a severe problem that they repaired. But it fits my hand great, I shoot it on target extremely well, and it conceals and carries very easily. To me the Kahr P9/CW9/K9 pistol format is nearly ideal in terms of fit, concealment and shootability (enough fingers on the grip). Almost all of the other "contenders" are almost identical size-wise as the Kahrs but lack grip length to get all of your fingers on the grip (KT, Walther).

Here's hoping Kahr will fix it right this time.

I should note that my severe problem with my Kahr happened after the 350 round mark.

what was the "severe problem"? Just wondering what I may need to be aware of in the next hundred rounds or so, although I'm not really expecting any meltdowns. My only real complaint with the CW9 is the pinned plastic front sight. If it breaks, and the gun is still as reliable as it is at the moment, I will probably get the slide dovetailed for a truglo sight.

surv

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”