AR-15 truck gun - is this a good idea?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
TheArmedFarmer
Posts in topic: 12

AR-15 truck gun - is this a good idea?

Post by TheArmedFarmer »

I keep this AR-15 in my truck, sandwiched between the passenger seat and the middle console. It's loaded (but not with one in the chamber) and ready for action against dogs or other varmints. It has already seen service in battle against those feral monsters.

I suppose if I ever needed it in town as a backup rifle, then that's a side benefit of having it in the truck.

You'll notice the light coating of dust all over it. Of course, I periodically clean the rifle, but, is it a good idea to treat an AR-15 this way? Also, after an entire summer in the truck the optics seem fine, despite pretty high temperatures.

As a side note: when I go to town, I throw a towel over the rifle so nobody knows what's there.
Life member: NRA, THSC, HSLDA.

joe817
Posts in topic: 1

Re: AR-15 truck gun - is this a good idea?

Post by joe817 »

I believe an AR-15 is designed to accommodate some surface dust. If you live out in the country, it's to be expected. I never saw a ranch rifle that didn't have some dust. Kind of like earning your spurs.

That said, TO much dust could cause a jam, but that's what the forward assist is for. :lol:
I'd keep a small paint brush in your truck to dust it off every now and then, especially from the cracks and crevices going into working parts. Nice looking gun btw! :thumbs2:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

My M4 looked just like that after every mission I went on in Afghanistan. I normally cleaned it that day as another mission could pop-up the same or next day. They can take alot of abuse and are designed to do so.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

dicion
Posts in topic: 3

Post by dicion »

So long as you keep the bolt closed, and dust does not accumulate in there, you should be good to rock and roll.

Topic author
TheArmedFarmer

Post by TheArmedFarmer »

That's relieving to hear this. Then I'm good to go and will continue to keep this firearm at the ready in my truck.

This is a mutt gun. I bought the upper with scope from a great guy in north DFW. The lower came from a FTF buy in Tyler and the rest was bought online. All told I have about $800 in the gun.

It is amazingly accurate, too. I have it sighted in at 100 yards and at that range with no wind, it hits the ten ring every single time. I guess you'd call it a tackdriver.

Thanks for your feedbacks!

CompVest
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CompVest »

I like the ear protection sitting on it. Protect yourself and hearing. Way-to-go.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

...ready for action against dogs or other varmints.
CompVest wrote:I like the ear protection sitting on it. Protect yourself and hearing. Way-to-go.
I thought those were for the dog so it wouldn't be able to hear The Armed Farmer talking about getting ready to shoot him. Kinda like a blindfold, but for the keen of hearing. :biggrinjester:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
TheArmedFarmer

Post by TheArmedFarmer »

You could also say that the rifle is wearing the hearing protection so that it doesn't learn what my plans are for it until it's too late. :-)

Seriously, my hearing is bad enough as it is. A dog in the pasture gives me plenty of time to don the ear protection first. The only time I think I'd ever shoot without them is if I had to suddenly deploy a gun in self defense.

USA1

Post by USA1 »

nice sunglasses :mrgreen:
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

AEA

Post by AEA »

I would not leave an AR-15 in a car or truck in town or anywhere else. Just too easy for someone to grab it. Throwing a towel over it just makes it that much more interesting (in my opinion).
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

GrayHawk

Post by GrayHawk »

Open invitation to have it stolen. Don't think I'd leave it in an unoccupied car/truck...

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

I've used naugahyde in a color as close to my vehicle interior as I could get.

IMO, that is less obvious.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
TheArmedFarmer

Post by TheArmedFarmer »

USA1 wrote:nice sunglasses :mrgreen:
Those are my son's. :cool:
AEA wrote:I would not leave an AR-15 in a car or truck in town or anywhere else. Just too easy for someone to grab it. Throwing a towel over it just makes it that much more interesting (in my opinion).
Well, I don't live in Dallas and in fact, when I go to the big city I leave the rifle at home.

Moreover, I don't spend a long time in any store. There's hardly ever time to break into my truck given that I'm rarely in a store longer than a few minutes.

Plus, criminals don't normally hang out in the parking lot of a feed store or hardware store. I don't typically go into the parts of town that would attract thieves.

mr surveyor
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mr surveyor »

TheArmedFarmer wrote:
USA1 wrote:nice sunglasses :mrgreen:
Those are my son's. :cool:
AEA wrote:I would not leave an AR-15 in a car or truck in town or anywhere else. Just too easy for someone to grab it. Throwing a towel over it just makes it that much more interesting (in my opinion).
Well, I don't live in Dallas and in fact, when I go to the big city I leave the rifle at home.

Moreover, I don't spend a long time in any store. There's hardly ever time to break into my truck given that I'm rarely in a store longer than a few minutes.

Plus, criminals don't normally hang out in the parking lot of a feed store or hardware store. I don't typically go into the parts of town that would attract thieves.

ain't small town USA great :coolgleamA:
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

CompVest
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CompVest »

Small towns are great. It is nice to take the truck out buy stuff, put in the truck bed, go in another store and know your stuff is still in the truck bed!
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”