Taurus Slim

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

HKUSP45C
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Taurus Slim

Post by HKUSP45C »

austinrealtor wrote:If nothing else, maybe this plus the PPS will convince Glock to get off the fence and make a single stack 9mm/.40-cal super-sub-compact (basically a slim Baby Glock).
As an aside, Glock makes "small" guns (a .380 for instance), they just can't import them to the US because of the "point system" regulating foriegn, imported firearms.
Characteristic
Length: for each 1/4" over 6"

Forged steel frame

Forged HTS alloy frame

Unloaded weight w/mag (per oz.)

.22 short and .25 auto

.22 LR and 7.65mm to .380 auto

9mm parabellum and over

Locked breech mechanism

Loaded chamber indicator

Grip safety

Magazine safety

Firing pin block or lock

External hammer

Double action

Drift adjustable target sight

Click adjustable target sight

Target grips

Target trigger

If a pistol doesn't get 75 "points" it can't be legally imported AND the smaller a gun gets the less opportunity it has to get enough "points." I've heard that for many models Glock actually imports them with cheap click adjustable sights which are then swapped stateside just to get a few more points.

A-R
Posts in topic: 3

Post by A-R »

HKUSP45C wrote:
austinrealtor wrote:If nothing else, maybe this plus the PPS will convince Glock to get off the fence and make a single stack 9mm/.40-cal super-sub-compact (basically a slim Baby Glock).
As an aside, Glock makes "small" guns (a .380 for instance), they just can't import them to the US because of the "point system" regulating foriegn, imported firearms.
(note: truncated quoted post to save space)

Actually, the Glock .380 pistols are not any different in size from their 9mm/.40/.357 counterparts here in the US, but because the caliber is less than 9mm they lose those 10 points and thus cannot be imported. But both this Taurus Slim AND the Walther PPS are imported, so pistols of this size and caliber are obviously possible for importation. I don't want a smaller-caliber .380 Glock. I want a SLIM Glock, same general dimension specs as this Taurus or the Walther PPS, in 9mm or .40.

thankGod

Post by thankGod »

austinrealtor wrote:[I don't want a smaller-caliber .380 Glock. I want a SLIM Glock, same general dimension specs as this Taurus or the Walther PPS, in 9mm or .40.
I agree. I would like something slim. I've been nosing around for a Kahr PM9 for the past few days, and I did look at the new Taurus Slim. Nice looking little pistol, and less than half the price of the Kahr.
thankGod
NRA Life Member
TSRA
"Be watchful, stand firm in your faith, be courageous, be strong." 1Cor16:13

mr.72
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mr.72 »

Well the Taurus competes a little more readily with a Kahr CW9 than it does with a PM9. PM9 has a few features over the Taurus that might justify the price. A CW9 is pretty competitive in price.

However, to me the big difference that really separates the Taurus from Kahr pistols is the fact that the Taurus is not DAO, and has a manual safety. Now if Glock were to come out with a single-stack, 0.8" thick version of a G26, then we'd be talking about a competitor to Kahrs & Walther PPS and Kel-Tec PF9.

I need to go handle one of these but the safety is probably a deal-breaker. I don't think it'd be easy to re-train my wife to automatically flip the safety off when all of our other guns are safety-less DAO pistols. I know I don't want to have to re-learn.
non-conformist CHL holder

DoubleJ
Posts in topic: 5

Post by DoubleJ »

it's got a Glock-style trigger safety, so in theory you could just roll around with the safety off.
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

mr.72
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mr.72 »

DoubleJ wrote:it's got a Glock-style trigger safety, so in theory you could just roll around with the safety off.
certainly so but then there is a chance it gets set to "on" accidentally.
non-conformist CHL holder

9mmGuy

Post by 9mmGuy »

i cant wait to handle one of these little gems. might have to get one on the x-mas list. i have been looking into a single stack carry piece. Think a holster made for a kahr or similar would fit it?
Luck favors the Prepared
G19c, G26, KT P11, Mossberg Mav 88, 10/22

TexasVet

Post by TexasVet »

For those looking for a slim Glock.. just take the Walther PPS apart and you'd be surprised how familiar it looks on the inside ;)

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Sig 232SL is nice and slim. I would like this size in 9mm. As so many others I would like to see a slimmer Glock in 9mm.

USA1

Post by USA1 »

9mmGuy wrote:i cant wait to handle one of these little gems. might have to get one on the x-mas list. i have been looking into a single stack carry piece. Think a holster made for a kahr or similar would fit it?
hers a holster that will fit a slim
http://www.kholster.com/index.htm
i just ordered one that will fit my Taurus PT 145
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

I just can't seem to take to these "plastic" guns. It's just personal preference. I want blue or shiny metal. Dad (69) bought a Glock 17 for home defense. Good gun, but unloaded it feels like a Barbie pistol.

Slim seems like a neat carry pistol, but I like the stainless PPK/s better (except for the fact that it jams 5% of the time(arrgh..!). Switched to a Ruger SP101 .357 snubbie for carry. Now there's some heavy metal. Feels like a brick.

Sometimes I'm just conflicted. If we had "open carry" I'd carry a full size 1911 cocked and locked or a Beretta 92SF. Concealed, I pine for a reliable pocket sized steel .380 or 9mm.

Maybe I'll have to get a Lorcin .25 or a Raven. :???:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

joe817

Post by joe817 »

ScottDLS wrote:I just can't seem to take to these "plastic" guns. It's just personal preference. I want blue or shiny metal. Dad (69) bought a Glock 17 for home defense. Good gun, but unloaded it feels like a Barbie pistol.

Slim seems like a neat carry pistol, but I like the stainless PPK/s better (except for the fact that it jams 5% of the time(arrgh..!). Switched to a Ruger SP101 .357 snubbie for carry. Now there's some heavy metal. Feels like a brick.

Sometimes I'm just conflicted. If we had "open carry" I'd carry a full size 1911 cocked and locked or a Beretta 92SF. Concealed, I pine for a reliable pocket sized steel .380 or 9mm.

I hear that if you turn in a Kroger $50 gift card to the Dallas PD, they'll give you a Lorcin or Raven in return! "rlol" :lol: :smilelol5:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

DoubleJ
Posts in topic: 5

Post by DoubleJ »

ScottDLS wrote:I just can't seem to take to these "plastic" guns. It's just personal preference. I want blue or shiny metal. Dad (69) bought a Glock 17 for home defense. Good gun, but unloaded it feels like a Barbie pistol.

I'll take my "barbie" gun that doesn't jam at all.

kthxbye

besides, I can wear this while I work out, and no one's the wiser, and it doesn't weigh a brick!
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”