Thinking about Shooting "Stuff" Experiment

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
android
Posts in topic: 2

Thinking about Shooting "Stuff" Experiment

Post by android »

Who has built mock ups of their interior/exterior walls and 2nd story floors and shot at them with their SD ammo and FMJ?

I may try this next time I go out to the shooting range that will allow me to bring whatever "targets" I want.

I am very interested in seeing how rounds would behave in my house either by stupid/negligent discharges (I hope never) or BG misses (Also I hope never)

Anyway if you've done this, please show a link or tell about your results. Otherwise, maybe we can come up with a set of tests shots to do.

I'm thinking about building a mock up wall with 1/2" sheet rock separated by 2x4 and a floor with carpet, padding, 3/4" plywood and 1/2" sheetrock on the other side to be ceiling of ground floor.

Although a floor shot would probably be from waist height, I don't think it would actually be a good idea to be that close to a hard target just to try it out. Will a shot from 10 feet be safe and give mostly the same results?

Thanks!

Mithras61
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Thinking about Shooting "Stuff" Experiment

Post by Mithras61 »

Before you go, you might want to check out The Box 'O Truth.

TDDude

Post by TDDude »

There really isn't anything in one's home that will offer protection from gunfire of any kind except possibly an exterior brick wall.

I wish the Box-O-Truth guy would try shooting through a mattress. I've heard it said that a good way to retreat from a home invasion is to gather the entire family in the master bedroom, push the bed between yourself and the door, call 911 with one hand and train your firepower on the door with the other. When the "home invading individual or individuals" open the door, open up on him using the mattress as cover and some form of protection. I can see how the mattress could snag rounds but since I'm using all my matresses right now, I have no way of testing it.

One thing is for sure is that Rush's "Sleep Number" matress won't do much good. :smilelol5: :smilelol5: :smilelol5: :smilelol5:
Ray F.
Luke 22:35-38 "Gear up boys, I gotta go and it's gonna get rough." JC
-- Darrell Royal, former UT football coach - "If worms carried pistols, birds wouldn't eat 'em."

Topic author
android
Posts in topic: 2

Post by android »

Wow, box of truth is pretty cool. So it looks like if a round happened to not hit a stud or some solid piece of furniture, a round could probably go all the way through a modern balloon frame construction home. Definitely something to think about.

Sounds like I need to ask bad guys to stand between me and neighbors I might like the least. And I'll ask them to hold really still while they're at it. :lol:

Pinkycatcher

Post by Pinkycatcher »

I can say (from a bad experience) that a .40 S&W round will go through two dry walls and a robe before going half-way into a doorframe stud. Now you can always up the ante and figure out what a hotter or a rifle round will do.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

anyone fired a JHP into an 8" Thermopedic mattress? That is interesting,
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

dicion

Post by dicion »

I've *Heard* from a friend of mine, that a 55gr FMJ 5.56 or .223 round, within it's first 50 yards, is spinning so fast, that the minute it hits *anything* it's rotational force will cause it to near disintegrate, making it a good 'home defense' round...

.. and no, he was not talking about Frangible bullets, which this might be true for.

.... I don't know where to even start with that...

If I ever have to fire a 5.56 or .223 round within my home, I will assume that it's going to go 400+ yards in the direction I shoot it, until it hits something hard enough to stop it. Granted, my home is covered with brick on it's exterior, however, it's my luck that the round would perfectly find a weak spot in the mortar, and keep on going.

Fangs

Post by Fangs »

...or ricochet around on the inside. :shock:
"When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden. The one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream." - speedsix

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

dicion wrote:I've *Heard* from a friend of mine, that a 55gr FMJ 5.56 or .223 round, within it's first 50 yards, is spinning so fast, that the minute it hits *anything* it's rotational force will cause it to near disintegrate, making it a good 'home defense' round...

.. and no, he was not talking about Frangible bullets, which this might be true for.

.... I don't know where to even start with that...

If I ever have to fire a 5.56 or .223 round within my home, I will assume that it's going to go 400+ yards in the direction I shoot it, until it hits something hard enough to stop it. Granted, my home is covered with brick on it's exterior, however, it's my luck that the round would perfectly find a weak spot in the mortar, and keep on going.
Agreed. Back in the day we qualified at 200, 300, and 500 yards with the 5.56mm round. My assumption is that it means it would still be considered effective at 500 yards.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Medino

Post by Medino »

http://www.tannerite.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These are extremely fun if they don't mind exploding targets for a reasonable price.

The Box o truth stuff isn't bad either.
Personally, I’m interested in keeping other people from building Utopia, because the more you believe you can create heaven on earth the more likely you are to set up guillotines in the public square to hasten the process.--James Lileks

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”