Need opinions on CCW for sister - Purchase made

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Dave01
Posts in topic: 6

Need opinions on CCW for sister - Purchase made

Post by Dave01 »

My sister has decided that she wants to get her CHL. She has no handgun experience except the few times at the range with me. I am trying to help her locate a good all around weapon (CCW, target shooting, possibly IDPA). It is likely that she will only buy one gun. The problem I have is that her hands are so small, that the grip on most guns is simply too large (or the DA trigger is too far away). I have been trying to push her towards a revolver, but that seems to be a dead end (no interest).

After handling a number of different guns, the only thing she finds comfortable is a single stack 1911. Based on this, I feel that a "commander" size 1911 in 9mm would be appropriate for her. Kimber makes a few, Para makes one, and STI makes one. These guns are simply not available though (not sure on the STI, but that one is also quite heavy). I was told that everything from Kimber is back-ordered into 2010.

We were able to find a few 4" 1911 in .45 though. I am concerned that there is too much recoil for her. She has fired my 3" Springfield .45 and doesn't like it much (also has a lot of trouble with the recoil). So the question is, should she order a 1911 in 9mm and wait 6 months+, or go with a 4" .45 that might be too much recoil to handle? Or am I too concerned about the recoil, and maybe more experience/training will allow her to better handle the weapon?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Dave
Last edited by Dave01 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Need opinions on CCW for sister

Post by seamusTX »

See if you can find a women's shoot in your area. She can try a number of handguns and get shooting instruction from other women.

Hand size and the ability to deal with recoil have little to do with one another. Some petite women can handle high-powered weapons well, and some big guys are ninnies. ;-)

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

GeekwithaGun
Posts in topic: 1

Post by GeekwithaGun »

Also try a few different guns at a range that rents them.
NRA Life Member

joe817
Posts in topic: 2

Post by joe817 »

I agree with geekwagon. A lot of ranges have guns you can rent. I know that Winchester Gallery range has about 30 pistols you can rent...everything from mouse guns(about 7 or 8 to choose from) to mid-sized frames to large frames. I mean they have everything...LCP, PPk/s, Kel-Tek's, Glocks, Sigs, Rugers, Springfields, Barettas, Smiths, etc. You name it.

Granted Ft.Worth is a long drive for you, but there must be comparable range's in your area that offer a wide variety. She doesn't have to rent every one....just a few that feels comfortable in her hand. And the bonus is, she can hold a whole lot of guns before she decides to try one or more out.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Jacob Staff
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jacob Staff »

My wife has the same problem reaching the trigger on some guns. She liked 1911's with a short trigger or thin grips but ended up with a HK 45C. She tried Glocks, Sigs, XD's, XDm's, S&W M&P's, Taurus, ... She hated the triggers on revolvers. All the black guns looked alike (ugly) but when she picked up the HK she knew instantly it was "the one". She had the clerk run through the controls, field stripping. She tried the trigger, locking the slide back, mag release and started filling out the paperwork on the spot.

The HK claims to reduce recoil by 30% and it seems to work well. Now she wants a Walther PPS 9mm for something smaller but with similar controls. I never would have considered these for her but it was her choice and now she is always looking forward to shooting "her" gun.

I suggest letting her pick up and if possible shoot as many different types as possible and let her choose. Try starting at a well stocked gun shop or a gun show.
TXDPSA TSRA NRA

LarryH

Post by LarryH »

If you were near Houston, I could give you contact information for at least one female instructor with enough handguns to stock a store, and will let you shoot any of them. That's how my wife generated her short list.

Topic author
Dave01

Post by Dave01 »

Jacob Staff wrote:
I suggest letting her pick up and if possible shoot as many different types as possible and let her choose. Try starting at a well stocked gun shop or a gun show.

We were at the Big Town gun show this weekend. I think she picked up every gun on the tables. Her issues were much the same as your wife's. The polymer frame pistols had grips that were too wide. Sig's don't have a manual safety (her requirement, not mine). Anything with a double stack/staggered magazine had a grip that was too wide. Many of the DA/SA or DA only pistols had a trigger that was too far forward. I don't remember if she picked up any HK's.

She really enjoys the 1911 platform. She does well with my friends 5" Kimber Gold Match in .40. My Springer 3" .45 (and my friends Kimber CDPII) is too much for her or at least her experience level. We are both confident that a 4" 1911 in 9mm is a good fit...just not available. Do we risk going the .45 route and hope she can "grow" into it? I think Ii will try to find a range that has a 4" 1911 in .45 to rent and see what happens.

Jacob Staff
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jacob Staff »

A Colt Lightweight Commander was her first choice but it was used and jammed too often. With some tuning I'm sure it would have worked but we decided to look for something that was more reliable. We were going to order a new 1911 but she decided to try out the ugly polimer guns and found one she liked.

I never even considered an HK because I thought of them as BIG guns. The new HK 45C has an interchangable backstrap and the small on fit her well even with a doublestack .45ACP The one she picked out has a single leaver that is a manual safety/decocker. She can carry decocked with or without the safety on when carrying in a purse. When she is carrying it on her hip, it is cocked and locked just like a 1911. The mag release is a goofy lever under the trigger guard but she really likes it and uses her trigger finger to drop the mag. The Walther PPS has a similar mag release but no manual safety. I guess it is a German thing.

The compact grip length fit her perfectly and she had no need for the full length grip of the HK 45. HK also offers a P30 9mm with an interchangable backstrap and side grip panels.

http://www.hkpro.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.hk-usa.com/civilian_products/civ_pistols.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not my cup of tea but she having a blast with it.
TXDPSA TSRA NRA

Medino

Post by Medino »

Just remember this is her decision. If you end up picking one she doesn't like then she will use it a couple of times and never touch it again. I do agree the best course of action is to try out several before the decision is made.
Personally, I’m interested in keeping other people from building Utopia, because the more you believe you can create heaven on earth the more likely you are to set up guillotines in the public square to hasten the process.--James Lileks

frazzled

Post by frazzled »

Dave01 wrote:My sister has decided that she wants to get her CHL. She has no handgun experience except the few times at the range with me. I am trying to help her locate a good all around weapon (CCW, target shooting, possibly IDPA). It is likely that she will only buy one gun. The problem I have is that her hands are so small, that the grip on most guns is simply too large (or the DA trigger is too far away). I have been trying to push her towards a revolver, but that seems to be a dead end (no interest).

After handling a number of different guns, the only thing she finds comfortable is a single stack 1911. Based on this, I feel that a "commander" size 1911 in 9mm would be appropriate for her. Kimber makes a few, Para makes one, and STI makes one. These guns are simply not available though (not sure on the STI, but that one is also quite heavy). I was told that everything from Kimber is back-ordered into 2010.

We were able to find a few 4" 1911 in .45 though. I am concerned that there is too much recoil for her. She has fired my 3" Springfield .45 and doesn't like it much (also has a lot of trouble with the recoil). So the question is, should she order a 1911 in 9mm and wait 6 months+, or go with a 4" .45 that might be too much recoil to handle? Or am I too concerned about the recoil, and maybe more experience/training will allow her to better handle the weapon?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Dave

-What general area are you at-we could point you to a range that rents guns. I can't recommend that enough. Absent your fellow gun nuts its an excellent source to test out and thats what we did.

-Also, unless you've tried a double stack 9mm don't discount them yet. My wife has small hands but has recently taken an unhealthy liking to my 92FS. Check the dimensions when renting.

-Also there are multiple sites for procuring 9mm Kimbers-both used and resellers who may have inventory. if thats the ticket it can be found.

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

PM sent
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

Jacob Staff wrote:The HK claims to reduce recoil by 30% and it seems to work well. Now she wants a Walther PPS 9mm for something smaller but with similar controls. I never would have considered these for her but it was her choice and now she is always looking forward to shooting "her" gun.
If you're in Houston, she's welcome to test drive my PPS 9mm.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Topic author
Dave01

Post by Dave01 »

Thank you all for your offers to let her test drive various weapons. Unfortunately she is in the DFW area.

Dave

Cosmo 9

Post by Cosmo 9 »

Did she check out an EMP? Also Para makes several 9mm single stacks.
These Pretzels are making me thirsty!

Armybrat

Post by Armybrat »

Kahrs are very slim weapons and much more compact than any named above.

They are all single stack, and have a wide variety of polymer models in .380, 9mm, .40, and .45.

Nice shooters and easy to conceal.

My PM9 has served me well for years.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”