Turn in your Neighbor for $1000 - Newark, NJ

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
pbwalker
Posts in topic: 2

Turn in your Neighbor for $1000 - Newark, NJ

Post by pbwalker »

Newark NJ Mayor Cory Booker is asking people to snitch on gun owners for $1,000!

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=LRyw1JnAstg[/youtube]

Call the tip line and tell them what you think. 1-877-695-4867. Call the mayor and tell him what you think. 973-733-6400.
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

sss
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Turn in your Neighbor for $1000 - Newark, NJ

Post by sss »

"Honorable". Hah, yeah, right... :roll:
Carrying since 02/06/2009.

A-R

Post by A-R »

We'll give you $1000 if you call our COMPLETELY ANONYMOUS tipline ..... Really? So how do I anonymously collect my grand?

This guy is an idiot. He's unAmerican.

Maybe if you allowed the LAWFUL citizens to LAWFULLY carry guns, the criminal street punks would think twice.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

austinrealtor wrote:We'll give you $1000 if you call our COMPLETELY ANONYMOUS tipline ..... Really? So how do I anonymously collect my grand? This guy is an idiot. He's unAmerican. Maybe if you allowed the LAWFUL citizens to LAWFULLY carry guns, the criminal street punks would think twice.
No doubt about it a.r. , no doubt about it.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I guess I am weird but I don't see a problem with the program. I see it being abused by gang members getting revenge on their opposition but the basic program is not illegal or immoral.

He is just asking for tips. There is no force or coercion used and they are not going door to door or anything. If you want to turn in your opposition (remove the drug trade competition), you just call in and tell them who, what, where. If you tell them enough of the truth to get an arrest, you get paid.

He did specify illegally carrying the gun, not just who has a gun. So we are talking about criminals. Yes, some of these criminals will be other wise honest citizens who have not submitted to what they perceive as illegal laws, but they are breaking the current law and should be fighting it in court properly (so far - it may yet come time for other fights).

As for how to collect anonymously, he gave that information also when he said you call back to get your second set of digits. When you make the tip, you are giving an identifying number or string of digits. If the tip pans out and they arres tthe guy, you call back and give them your numbers. they will verify that your tip was used and give you a second set of numbers. You take these numbers to any Newark bank and they will give you the cash without asking for ID.

I think $1000 may be violating the IRS laws on payments without tax withholding, but I am not sure. And obeying other laws has never been that important to most city governments.
Steve Rothstein

Rollin2008

Post by Rollin2008 »

he said illegal guns off the streets.

Topic author
pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

srothstein wrote:He did specify illegally carrying the gun, not just who has a gun. So we are talking about criminals. Yes, some of these criminals will be other wise honest citizens who have not submitted to what they perceive as illegal laws, but they are breaking the current law and should be fighting it in court properly (so far - it may yet come time for other fights).
You've pretty much tapped into my primary concern. I can see it turning into a neighbor vs. neighbor fighting tool, or just some way for people to inconvenience someone they don't like, who they know owns a gun. If they see the "Grumpy Old Man" leaving his house, the same one who asked the neighbor to stay off his lawn, with a shotgun in hand (in a case of course), they may call just to be a thorn in that guys side.

I'm with you on the Gang vs. Gang tool though. It's just a matter of how this program is used. I am sure officers don't want to go around harping on hunters or collectors. Then again, this is Newark... "rlol"
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Liberty »

Rollin2008 wrote:he said illegal guns off the streets.
Unless its a cop, just about all the guns on the street are illegal in New Jersey.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

casingpoint

Post by casingpoint »

I like the idea of $1,000 each for the severed heads of gang bangers mo' better. That way, I'm not dependent on donuts eaters getting off their duffs and going after the bad guys for my money. There's nothing like capitalism when it comes to innovation in the business world. :evil2:

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

You know...I would just prefer to call the Mayor and tell him what I think...Regardless of the merits of this program...

What I think, obviously violates the rules and decorum of this prestigious and honorable website...

Almost everyday we see more and more rediculous and downright idiotic policies and plans liberals come up with...

All it does is wear down the citizens of this country, regardless if you support or oppose these policies and plans...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

74novaman
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 74novaman »

srothstein wrote:I guess I am weird but I don't see a problem with the program. I see it being abused by gang members getting revenge on their opposition but the basic program is not illegal or immoral.
Whatever happened to minding your own business? I feel it is fairly immoral to attempt to set up citizens to watch each other on behalf of the government. Sounds an awful lot like tyranny to me, which I would equate with immorality.

You make some good points, but in the end I view things like this as the beginning of a slippery slope. If we can be conditioned to "inform" on our neighbors for one thing, how long before we're expected to inform on each other for everything else the mayor or anyone else "in charge" decides shouldn't be going on?
TANSTAAFL

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

srothstein wrote:I think $1000 may be violating the IRS laws on payments without tax withholding, but I am not sure. And obeying other laws has never been that important to most city governments.

I believe your assumption is correct. If I pay an individual more than $600 in a calender year, either in my own small business, or representing my county's Emergency Services District as treasurer, I have to send that individual a 1099 form. But, the Fed may turn their collective head in cases like this. Who knows?

surv
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

shootthesheet

Post by shootthesheet »

This is another diversion tactic to allow them to claim they are doing "something". Lock up the criminals and restore the rights of the people, to include self-reliance, and we have no need for Soviet-style programs. I do not rely on any government to take care of my security and think that any person that is such a slave to government deserves what they get. Stand-up and insist criminals be locked-up and not let them out and they will see they have no need for feel-good government lies. Insist on exercising morality and they may see they have no need for government at all.

I believe Hell exists to separate the "good" from the "evil". To remain good the law abiding must separate themselves from the evil. Even if that means putting them in jail and never letting them out or sending them to the next life.
http://gunrightsradio.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Why is illegal to own a gun in NJ if such a ban had been clearly stated as non-constitutional as per herer decision? Sue the city, the state if there is a ban.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

How does one determine what is a legal gun and an illegal gun for reporting? Seems to me alot of legal gun owners may get harassed by false reports.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”