ammo on sale

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

mikeintexas
Posts in topic: 18

Re: ammo on sale

Post by mikeintexas »

I just left Ray's Hardware and Sporting Goods at Singleton and Sylvan in Dallas. They had a few boxes of .380 and limited me to one box. They had cases of .45 FMJ and a bunch of .40 cal. It looked like all the FMJ was $29.95 per box of 50 rounds. They also had self defense rounds, but didn't look at the price.

That was the most ammo I've seen in one place in a long time. A little pricey, but available.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 183

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

mikeintexas wrote:I just left Ray's Hardware and Sporting Goods at Singleton and Sylvan in Dallas. They had a few boxes of .380 and limited me to one box. They had cases of .45 FMJ and a bunch of .40 cal. It looked like all the FMJ was $29.95 per box of 50 rounds. They also had self defense rounds, but didn't look at the price.

That was the most ammo I've seen in one place in a long time. A little pricey, but available.
A "little" pricey? LOL...that is double the Walmart price.

mikeintexas

Post by mikeintexas »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
mikeintexas wrote:I just left Ray's Hardware and Sporting Goods at Singleton and Sylvan in Dallas. They had a few boxes of .380 and limited me to one box. They had cases of .45 FMJ and a bunch of .40 cal. It looked like all the FMJ was $29.95 per box of 50 rounds. They also had self defense rounds, but didn't look at the price.

How many "cases" of .45 have you seen at any Wal Mart in the last 6 months. I don't have time to hit all the Wal Marts in the DFW, so I have to buy it when I find it. :banghead:

03Lightningrocks

mikeintexas wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:

How many "cases" of .45 have you seen at any Wal Mart in the last 6 months. I don't have time to hit all the Wal Marts in the DFW, so I have to buy it when I find it. :banghead:
I certainly wasn't trying to insult you. I was just making light of the fact that it is marked up to double the price. That is possibly why they have so much of it. By the by...I bought two cases of 45 one case of 9mm and one case of 40 at wally world in April. I hear you though. I just don't have time to camp out at wally world either. But every now and then I get lucky just dropping by when near one.

The good news is that a distributor obviously has enough to start sending out cases of ammo to a local gun shop. This means Wally world will start getting more in also. Personally I think the worse of the ammo hording is coming to a conclusion and a month from now everyone will be dropping the prices down. i was at the Dallas Gun Show Sunday and it was like being in a Ghost Town. Good deals a plenty on stacks and stacks of AR15's. Ammo just sitting on tables not being bought due to over pricing. It was nice to see the free market slapping gun dealers around for a change. :mrgreen:

mikeintexas

Post by mikeintexas »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
mikeintexas wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:
mikeintexas wrote:
I certainly wasn't trying to insult you. I was just making light of the fact that it is marked up to double the price. That is possibly why they have so much of it. By the by...I bought two cases of 45 one case of 9mm and one case of 40 at wally world in April. I hear you though. I just don't have time to camp out at wally world either. But every now and then I get lucky just dropping by when near one.

The good news is that a distributor obviously has enough to start sending out cases of ammo to a local gun shop. This means Wally world will start getting more in also. Personally I think the worse of the ammo hording is coming to a conclusion and a month from now everyone will be dropping the prices down. i was at the Dallas Gun Show Sunday and it was like being in a Ghost Town. Good deals a plenty on stacks and stacks of AR15's. Ammo just sitting on tables not being bought due to over pricing. It was nice to see the free market slapping gun dealers around for a change. :mrgreen:
I agree. I have been watching the prices on the auction sites as well. When they get to a few hours of the auction ending on ammo and have recieved no bids because of the same overpricing, it makes me feel better. I did buy a couple of boxes from auction sites because I couldn't find .380 for my new LCP and it was killing me not to shoot it. I had found .45 at Dick's in Cedar Hill, but someone else must have found it also, as they haven't had any handgun ammo for 2-3 months. Bachman Gun and Pawn has had .380, but charged $39.95 for a box of 50 FMJ, so the price at Ray's was still 25% better than at Bachman. Hopefully, in 6-8 weeks everyone will have hoarded up and stocked up and they will be some left for the rest of us at Wal Mart and Academy that only have time to buy, not shop the state in search of ammo.

03Lightningrocks

I kid you not.....in May or June last year I purchased a case of Federal Eagle 380 from ammo man at a cost of 9 bucks a box of fifty and my son was teasing me at that time because I could have paid 8 at an academy he was at in Houston.

It is amazing how things can change so quick.

Emmett
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Emmett »

I was in the new Dicks in Pflugerville yesterday, and noticed they had some ammo. What a surprise that was, I thought they quite sending pistol ammo to the Austin market... LOL.... Anyway, I picked up a couple 50 round boxes of WWB 230 gr. JHP. I am not sure how much they had left, but it was nice to find some. Now I can carry bullets in my bullet launcher...LOL :anamatedbanana :anamatedbanana

Emmett
Psalm 121
STI Spartan 45ACP
Smith & Wesson MP 9c
Ruger LCP .380
Image82nd Airborne Division 3/504 PIR CSC (Recon) Image

FuziDave
Posts in topic: 5

Post by FuziDave »

ok, maybe i'm out of the loop, or hadn't been paying attention to recent prices.... but...

i went to Gun Masters in Allen. they had a 9mm box of 50 for $25. that's 50cents a bullet!!! is that the current supply/demand rate???? :eek6
FuziDave

Who'sJohnGalt
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Who'sJohnGalt »

I just got my order in from Cabela's, $12 for 50 9mm American Eagle FMJ. Yesterday I bought Speer FMJ at $13/50 9mm. Hornady defensive loads are $1 each. Other HP's are about $0.50

joe817
Posts in topic: 92

Post by joe817 »

I just got back from Winchester Gallery's shooting range in Ft.Worth(uuuggghhhh). :fire

They had 5 boxes of WWB .380 50 count for $28.95. Didn't go into the gun store.....I dinna wanna be seen after shootin' practice. :oops: :cool: :confused5 :waiting:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

FuziDave

Post by FuziDave »

FuziDave wrote:ok, maybe i'm out of the loop, or hadn't been paying attention to recent prices.... but...

i went to Gun Masters in Allen. they had a 9mm box of 50 for $25. that's 50cents a bullet!!! is that the current supply/demand rate???? :eek6
and that was for the 115grain. they had more expensive ones there too.

i distinctly remember paying $52 for a box of 250 last fall at Academy. wtHECK.
FuziDave

joe817
Posts in topic: 92

Post by joe817 »

FuziDave wrote:
FuziDave wrote:ok, maybe i'm out of the loop, or hadn't been paying attention to recent prices.... but...

and that was for the 115grain. they had more expensive ones there too.

i distinctly remember paying $52 for a box of 250 last fall at Academy. wtHECK.
Dave, I think it's what the independent gun shops think they can get away with. No that's not current market price in DFW area. I've paid $27.99 for a box of American Eagle 9mm from a little mom & pop gun store at the end of April out of desperation. $16.95 for Remington UMC at Winchester Gallery in Ft. Worth in mid May. And last week I was able to stock up on American Eagle 9mm from Wal-Mart from 2 locations. 10 boxes for $8.97/box. 2 Academy places had Monarch for $10.95/box.

It seems as though the big mass merchandisers like WallyWorld, and Academy have reasonable prices on all their ammo.
I'm sure there are lots of places in Texas where supply is short, but I think that's coming to an end. Just my take of things.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

caldvn

Post by caldvn »

Not to name locations but I went to a gun range, 25 bucks for American Eagle .40 S&W 50 rounds. Thinking that a gun store was cheaper, only to find out it was 39.95 for a box of 50...I had to scratch my head and leave politely.

No gun range for me for awhile till I can find cheap ammo. :)
If my posts sounds like I got a monkey on my back... it's actually a gorilla. Just don't get offended. :)

Velocity
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Velocity »

9mm spotted today at the WalMart at I-10 and Beltway. They had about 8-10 boxes on 9mm blazer brass @ 8.97 when I left there at 4pm.

There was also some .357mag and .25, didn't see how much. At least this store has ammo in a display case rather than hidden under the counter like the WalMart I'm in more often...

Hopefully these "ammo updates" will be a thing of the past soon, but this was the first time in several months I've actually caught 9mm available in a WM, so thought I'd pass it on.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member

dleewo

Post by dleewo »

Just came from Cabelas in Ft Worth and they were WELL stocked. The shelves were full and seem to have all calibres

I picked up some Golden Sabres 9mm

Derek
Tarrant County
03/26/2009 - Completed online application
03/28/2009 - CHL class
04/02/2009 - Mailed application to DPS
05/18/2009 - Status changed to "Processing Application"
07/04/2009 - Status changed to "Application Completed - license issued or certificate active"
07/09/2009 - Plastic in Hand

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”