This was never going to happen to me.....

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Fangs
Posts in topic: 1

Re: This was never going to happen to me.....

Post by Fangs »

I'm 6' 4" and 185 pounds. I have two holsters, and they serve me well.

The Crossbreed Supertuck works well for me, it took a little getting used to but all in all was comfortable from the start. I didn't have to make any clothing changes either, just can't wear some of my tighter fitting or shorter shirts with it. It holds my full sized .40 Beretta PX4 Storm at 3 o' clock.

I recently tried out a Pager Pal (http://www.pagerpal.com) holster at a gun show and liked it. I use it when I wear my tighter fitting shirts or have to tuck in my shirt. A quick Google search turns up some mixed reviews, but I've found it very comfortable at 11 o' clock with my full sized .40 Beretta PX4 Storm. Jeans or cargo shorts, tight shirt or no shirt, it still works fine. Looks like there's something in your pocket, but doesn't look like a gun. As many people have said, try one out at a gun show if possible. They claim it fits all guns, but I have a harder time quickly drawing my smaller ones.
"When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden. The one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream." - speedsix

LittleGun

Post by LittleGun »

My carry holtser is a Milt Sparks Versamax II. It is a leather IWB holster. I chose leather because it slowly conforms to the shape of the body. It took me a while to realize that "kidney carry" is the best for me. I also discovered that I need a forward cant. With IWB holsters, I can conceal a full size gun under a medium sized T-shirt. I am short and skinny, but I work out at the gym and I think staying trim helps me do a better job of concealmemt.

I have other holsters, all plastic that I use for training classes. One holster has special retention and I use it for open carry.

LaserTex

Post by LaserTex »

Get a Ruger LCP, mount the ArmaLaser, use the holster that comes with the ArmaLaser, in the left rear pocket, and (in my best New York via Texan accent) Forgetaboutit.

Doug :txflag:
LaserTex
Air Force Retired ** Life Member VFW ** NRA Member **
** Life Member AmVets ** Patriot Guard Rider **

ELB

Post by ELB »

I carry a Browning Hi Power in a Comptac CTAC tuckale IWB. The Hi Power is close to the same size as a 1911, little more svelt Ithink, and I've carried it in the CTAC for going on 3 years now, I think. It has been pretty comfy -- not 100%, but only minor occasional instances of discomfort.

elb
USAF 1982-2005

RoundRock_Gun_Fan

Post by RoundRock_Gun_Fan »

Here's one I used for my PT111 and it was comfortable to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TAURUS-PT-111-145-P ... 7C294%3A50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck,

RR
Para-Ordnance 1911 SSP .45
Colt 1911 Government Model (1913)

Topic author
shh83
Posts in topic: 3
Location: Stephenville, Texas (one more week) and Rowlett, Texas

Post by shh83 »

All,
I would just like to take a moment to all of those who offered their suggestions and recommendations to me in my search for the perfect holster. Why the “perfect” holster may or may not exist, I have learned of many products and carry methods that I would have never know of were it not for this forum.

I read this forum at least 5 days a week while at work, reading current discussions as well as the many topics that have transpired throughout the years. There is an unbelievable amount of knowledge on this forum, and I am proud to be a member of such a reputable source of information and ideas.

Thank you again

Scott

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

shh83:

We feel your pain, bud. Women love to shop. Men do not like
to shop, and that's what the search for the "perfect" holster entails.

I carry your exact gun and have 3 different holsters that work in various
circumstances for me. YMMV:

1. Soft black Uncle Mike's pocket holster for front pocket carry when I have to
wear my tucked-in work shirt. An IWB would be covered by the shirt and result
in no quick drawing ability. OWB completely out of the question.

2. IWB Galco model STO444. This holster has the minimum amount of leather
for less bulge. Pros: Quick to take on and off. Can draw my gun with seatbelt on.
Cons: When worn at 11 o'clock, cross draw since I'm right-handed, it digs into
the top of my thigh while I'm driving. When worn strong side at about 4 PM, the
handle of my gun doesn't present itself naturally to MY hand for a draw from
concealment. Sometimes the clip comes loose from my waistband if I bend down
to do something.

3. Bianchi Carry-Lok, Model 82. This is an OWB design with a very ingenious
retention device that holds the gun in securely, but doesn't make any velcro
sound or unsnapping sound that would alert a bad guy that you are readying your
weapon to engage him. This is my favorite holster since I carry it at 400 PM and
forget about it being there.

Good luck in your search.
Last edited by surprise_i'm_armed on Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Sigfan

Post by Sigfan »

I carry either a Sig 239 in a Milt Sparks VM2, or a Sig P220 in a Milt Sparks VM2. I'm 6'3", 200 lbs and have no problems wearing athletic fitting T-shirts while carrying. I have several friends that also carry and they have asked me if I was carrying on numerous occasions. Pretty good endorsement when someone that knows what to look for actively looks and still asks if you are carrying. I think most people wouldn't notice someone open carrying, much less carrying with a shirt over it.

If your shoulders are broader than your waist, you should be good to go. The shirt will drape down over everything as long as you are standing up straight. If I sit down for dinner someplace, I have to pull my shirt up a bit so that it bunches up a bit and breaks up the outline. Mainly with the 220, the 239 is pretty small.

The best part about the Milt Sparks, if you can find it somewhere, is that if you hate it you can ebay it for probably more than you paid for it. They have long wait times if you order direct, I got mine at Top Gun Supply. They rarely have them in stock, but you can have them email you when they become available. I bought both of mine through them, and as soon as I got the emailed I ordered. They do not generally last long when they get them in. You pay more going that route, but you get it sometimes 4-6 months earlier than going direct. A bargain at twice the price though.

Hope that helps.

Tactical_Texan_CHL

Post by Tactical_Texan_CHL »

I too was on the search for the Holy Grail of holsters. I still haven't found it. But the closest I've come is the Comp-Tac C.T.A.C. I carry a Kimber Ultra Covert II in it almost daily. At work it's usually kakhis and polo or dress shirts, and at home it's jeans, denim shorts, or cargo shorts usually with a t-shirt or untucked polo shirt, sometimes a camp style or nice button up instead. It conceals well under all of these. My brother is a gun enthusiast and a cop. We have an ongoing game between us trying to figure out where the other is carrying and he couldn't find it until I showed him. The only time I can't carry the Kimber is when I'm wearing a white or really light colored dress shirt, and then, only because the color of the gun shows through the shirt. For those times I pocket carry a Kel-Tec P3AT. I've also been wearing Under Armour compression shirts every day. I started wearing them a couple of years ago on occasion when I started carrying IWB, then it got to where I didn't like carrying IWB without one. Now, I don't ever go without one. I'll attach a pic of the holster on, and one covered up with a polo for you to look at. Also, I can't stress the importance of a good belt enough. As a shameless plug, Comp-Tac currently has some clearance belts on their website. They're kydex reinforced. They're also seconds, but I'm not worried about a crooked stitch line or anything. I just ordered a new one myself. Hope that helps. Tons of other good advice on the thread here too. Good luck with the holster hunt.

Holster in place before tucking shirt in:
After tucking in shirt:

Edited to add: P.S. that's the Under Armour shirt, not my undies! :oops:
TacTex
NRA Life Member

mr.72

Post by mr.72 »

I am about 6'0" and 180lb, fairly athletic build and I wear what the majority of people on this list seem to think are unnecessarily fashionable clothes. I spend a lot of my time on stage in front of a couple of thousand people after all, I can't look like a slob. Size Large or Medium quasi-fitted shirts etc. Without a gun, I wear a 32"W 34"L jeans and with a gun, I wear 33s.

I had a non-pro PT111 and it would be easily concealable with either of my holsters (although I never got a holster for it before I sold it). It was thicker than my Kahr but less grip to protrude (the bigger problem). I carry my CW9 in a FIST K3 every day. It conceals easily at about 4:00 or so IWB and nobody has EVER made me with this holster and gun. In fact my wife even is often surprised to find I am carrying even when we spend the whole day running around together. Nobody notices. I also have a Crossbreed Supertuck for my S&W Sigma, and it conceals just as well but requires about another 1" in waist size (34s, which are way too big to wear without the gun in there). So my jeans look real baggy when I carry the S&W, so basically I don't use this setup. Also the Crossbreed is just too much of a pain to get on and off. It is, however, extremely comfortable once it's in place. I got the Crossbreed for free but if I were buying a holster of this type, I'd get a MTAC instead.

The FIST IWB holsters in "ultra-thin Kydex" add minimal thickness to the gun. If you don't wear an undershirt then get the holster with the "body guard" and stick moleskin on the back side. Works like a charm for me.

Most of the suggestions I got on this forum didn't apply to me since I don't seem to have the more typical CHL-holder body type or fashion sense.
non-conformist CHL holder

Captain Matt
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Captain Matt »

mr.72 wrote:Most of the suggestions I got on this forum didn't apply to me since I don't seem to have the more typical CHL-holder body type or fashion sense.
When you march to the beat of a different drummer, you can't expect others to show you the way.
"hic sunt dracones"

joe817
Posts in topic: 4

Post by joe817 »

I'm not out of step........it's everyone else! :lol:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Captain Matt
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Captain Matt »

The simple fact is most people give advice based on their personal experience. If you're going to have a different experience then their advice may not apply to you.
"hic sunt dracones"

charlie

Post by charlie »

The best holster for me is one I found in the Blue Press, Published By Dillon Reloading. It's a tuckable holster made of black nylon. It's 14.95. Called the Maverick, made in South Africa.

I have a drawer full of plastic and leather holsters. This works best for me. I have a medium and use it for an HK P2000 and a P2000sk. I wear it at 4:00, tucked.

Most comfortable of all of them.

mr.72

Post by mr.72 »

Captain Matt wrote:The simple fact is most people give advice based on their personal experience. If you're going to have a different experience then their advice may not apply to you.

Of course, and that's why I was commenting on this thread. I figure many guys whose height is more than double their waist size and who wear kind of fashionable clothing are going to have a hard time with the party-line advice, as did I.
non-conformist CHL holder

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”