revolver for my wife

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
mhtx62
Posts in topic: 1

revolver for my wife

Post by mhtx62 »

Looking to buy a revolver for my wife. She qualified with my Ruger P94 9mm for her CHL but wants to carry a revolver in her purse. What do you all think about the Taurus 650 CIA mod.(357). What we are looking for all the pros and cons of this gun. Any info you can give me will help. Thank you Mark :D :D [size=12][/size]

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Any of the small Taurus revolvers are an excellent choice as are the S&W J frames. .357 in such a small gun may be too much of a good thing. You can always download a .357 with .38s if recoil is a problem but, you can't upload a .38. The CIA series look like a great design. I say go for it!
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

anygunanywhere

Re: revolver for my wife

Post by anygunanywhere »

mhtx62 wrote:Looking to buy a revolver for my wife.
mhtx62,

Check out the Ladies section of this forum. I posted about my wife's S&W 642. She loves it, and it is cheaper than the LadySmith.

Anygun
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

longtooth

Tarus

Post by longtooth »

Excellent choice. My mother carried a Tarus revolver until she converted to simi. At 74 the recoil was getting to bruise her hand. She loves her Sig. 232 now.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

Unless your wife is built like Godzilla do not buy one of those Scandium Smith and Wesson revolvers. I actually have two of them and while they are ultra light and are way over the top in the "cool" department, fun to shoot they are not.

Just remember, lightweight=more felt recoil.

Baytown

Post by Baytown »

I carry a Smith 36 more than any other off-duty gun and I love it.

I will also say, that the short (2" bbl) revolvers are the most difficult to shoot well. If she decided to get one, and I certainly do not discourage females from arming themselves, regular practice is a requirement.

My wife wanted to carry a gun in her purse as well. Some thoughts though, what does a purse snatcher like to grab? It is very possible in a violent attack that a person can be seperated from their purse, briefcase, etc... If I have it on my person, it will always be with me. (delfatti.com has a UTB holster--under the bra.)

I am no expert on the topic, and I am not trying to say it is a bad choice or idea. These are just some obervations from carrying a gun for a living for seven years.

Glenn
Winners never quit, and quitters never win; but, if you never win, and never quit, you're a moron.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”