Weird question.

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

jorge
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Weird question.

Post by jorge »

Skiprr wrote:If you're wanting replicate the nastier double-feed, MHO is that wouldn't be safe to try to rig live-fire.
Why not? I practice those a bunch of times at the range.
Obamanomics: Trickle-Up Poverty

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 1

Post by stevie_d_64 »

WildBill wrote:
bdickens wrote:This may seem like a weird question, but is there any cheap, substandard aftermarket magazine for Glocks that is unreliable like some of the cheaper 1911 magazines? The reason I'd want one is for practicing malfunction drills at the range.
Why not try some snap caps in your good magazines?
I agree with this...Using "dummy rounds" would work as well...

I made the mistake of sabotaging my wife's pistol during a range session years ago...I put three snap caps in a row after two good rounds in her Taurus 24/7 9mm...

BANG, BANG, click :eek6 clear, click :totap: clear, click :mad5 clear, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG...

She was not very happy with me... :thumbs2: :smilelol5:
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Skiprr »

jorge wrote:
Skiprr wrote:If you're wanting replicate the nastier double-feed, MHO is that wouldn't be safe to try to rig live-fire.
Why not? I practice those a bunch of times at the range.
By "live-fire" I meant, in keeping with the OP, introducing a random, unexpected stoppage somewhere in the middle of a live string of fire, not manually creating a condition like a double-feed using live ammunition at the start of a string of fire.

How do you setup your double-feed practice at the range?
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

jorge
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jorge »

I agree with you about trying to make it happen in the middle of a string.
Skiprr wrote:How do you setup your double-feed practice at the range?

Drop a round in the chamber, insert magazine, release slide.
Obamanomics: Trickle-Up Poverty

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Skiprr »

jorge wrote:I agree with you about trying to make it happen in the middle of a string.
Skiprr wrote:How do you setup your double-feed practice at the range?

Drop a round in the chamber, insert magazine, release slide.
Yep. And if you're shooting with a buddy who has a pistol different than yours, getting to clear his is a little extra practice.

Tell you what I find most difficult is clearing double-feeds in mouse/pocket guns like a Seecamp (especially with the European style on-the-bottom mag release) or a P3AT or LCP. Any pistol that doesn't have a manual slide lock can be a total pain if you can't easily strip the mag. Too, it's ingrained in me to rack the slide using an over-the-top, full reverse-grip on the slide, and pistols so tiny that a slingshot grip is the only practical way to do it cause me to have to think about it...and manipulating such tiny mags, even under no stress, is for me an automatic example of loss of fine motor control. :shock: I admit I don't often practice stoppage reduction with my BUG...
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

fm2
Posts in topic: 3

Post by fm2 »

Skiprr wrote: Any pistol that doesn't have a manual slide lock can be a total pain if you can't easily strip the mag.
Yep, a manual slide lock is an often overlooked feature (requirement for me) when people are getting a "carry gun".
“It is the belief that violence is an aberration that is dangerous because it lulls us into forgetting how easily violence may erupt in quiescent places.” S. Pinker

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”