When you go to bed...

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Wilson
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Wilson »

txinvestigator wrote: 1. It is too easy to acces the weapon before you are fully awake.
Immediate and easy access is the reason the pistols are under our pillows. I’m not sure what is meant by fully awake. While I suppose I dream, I’m told everyone does. I never remember them, as I’m either awake or asleep. While my wife wakes up slowly (remembers dreams) I have trusted her not to shoot me for several decades, so I see no reason to change.
txinvestigator wrote: 2. It is VERY possible to discharge the weapon while asleep.
Both of these things have happened before, and not just once.
I convinced its a thousand times easier for a person to accidentally discharge a weapon with a long trigger pull while awake as opposed to asleep. That being the case the most likely chance of discharging a pillow gun is from dropping on the floor while making the bed. This is not a consideration with a properly inspected and working P-3AT, with its hammer block.

I have a relative that feel perfectly safe hunting but question my safety carrying a handgun because it’s too dangerous. We have agreed that if either of us accidentally shoots ourselves the other can whisper over the casket “I told you so�. This seems to make family get togethers more tolerably.

quidni
Posts in topic: 1

You'll probably laugh at this...

Post by quidni »

My "pillow gun" isn't under my pillow; it's zipped inside a stuffed animal!

Yeah, closer to 50 than 30 years old and I still sleep with a stuffed animal. Have to... I have CTS in both wrists. I need a large stuffed animal or pillow to wrap my arms around when I sleep, to keep me from rolling over & cutting off the circulation to my hands with my own weight. I do NOT want to have to go back to braces 24/7!

Figured I might as well make the stuffed animal serve two purposes... and it keeps the pistol safely "holstered" within reach, but I still have to wake up enough to be able to unzip the durn thing.

No small kids in the house, or among our friends' families, so that's not a worry.
TSRA / NRA
KA5RLA
All guns have at least two safeties. One's digital, one's cognitive. In other words - keep the digit off the trigger until ready to fire, and THINK. Some guns also have mechanical safeties on top of those. But if the first two don't work, the mechanical ones aren't guaranteed. - me

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 6

Post by txinvestigator »

Wilson wrote:
txinvestigator wrote: 1. It is too easy to acces the weapon before you are fully awake.
Immediate and easy access is the reason the pistols are under our pillows. I’m not sure what is meant by fully awake. While I suppose I dream, I’m told everyone does. I never remember them, as I’m either awake or asleep. While my wife wakes up slowly (remembers dreams) I have trusted her not to shoot me for several decades, so I see no reason to change.
txinvestigator wrote: 2. It is VERY possible to discharge the weapon while asleep.
Both of these things have happened before, and not just once.
I convinced its a thousand times easier for a person to accidentally discharge a weapon with a long trigger pull while awake as opposed to asleep. That being the case the most likely chance of discharging a pillow gun is from dropping on the floor while making the bed. This is not a consideration with a properly inspected and working P-3AT, with its hammer block.

I have a relative that feel perfectly safe hunting but question my safety carrying a handgun because it’s too dangerous. We have agreed that if either of us accidentally shoots ourselves the other can whisper over the casket “I told you so�. This seems to make family get togethers more tolerably.
Its your life.

There are many reasons one might find their had around a handgun while asleep during the night, and more reasons where one would exert the less than 15 pounds required to fire the weapon.

As a cop, I had a NG while AWAKE, think you can't do it while asleep?

Regarding the accessing the weapon while not fully awake; I know of several instances where a person grabbed a readily accessible firearm before getting fully awake, just woken up from heavy sleep, and shot someone they should not have.

Are you really telling me you base your premise on the fact that it has never been a problem? By that reasoning, if you have yet to need to shoot someone with a gun hidden under your pillow, then why have a gun under your pillow? You have never needed it.

I realize it is difficult to look at your habits and beliefs and admit something you have been doing and believed strongly in might need to change, but this issue could be a deadly one for you or you spouse.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

txinvestigator wrote:Its your life.

There are many reasons one might find their had around a handgun while asleep during the night, and more reasons where one would exert the less than 15 pounds required to fire the weapon.
Sorry I can’t think of one reason why anyone would put their hand on a gun while asleep. Anyone who would do that could just as easily strangle their wife with their bare hands or smother her with a pillow. Anyone who does stupid stuff while claiming they are asleep should make arrangements to be locked up each night.
As a cop, I had a NG while AWAKE, think you can't do it while asleep?
Thank you for proving my point that an ND is more likely when awake than asleep. I’ve been sleeping with a loaded gun since age 12 and never fired one while asleep.
Regarding the accessing the weapon while not fully awake; I know of several instances where a person grabbed a readily accessible firearm before getting fully awake, just woken up from heavy sleep, and shot someone they should not have.

As the son of a Dallas Police Officer I was never been permitted to set on a criminal jury. However, I doubt if I would have ever bought the ol’ I shot my spouse thinking they were a bugler excuse.
Are you really telling me you base your premise on the fact that it has never been a problem? By that reasoning, if you have yet to need to shoot someone with a gun hidden under your pillow, then why have a gun under your pillow? You have never needed it.

I’ve never needed to shot someone while awake but I still have a CHL and carry a gun. The majority of LEOs have never shot anyone either but they carry guns also. I don’t understand the above statement.
I realize it is difficult to look at your habits and beliefs and admit something you have been doing and believed strongly in might need to change, but this issue could be a deadly one for you or you spouse.
As our track record asleep appears to be better than others awake, so I see no reason to change. Should you find a criminal standing beside your bed one night, while you lay flat of you back, you might wish for a pillow pistol. Can we agree that if either of us ends up dead from our gun under the pillow decisions, the other can whisper over the casket “I told you so�. :grin:

kw5kw
Posts in topic: 4

Post by kw5kw »

Wilson wrote:Sorry I can’t think of one reason why anyone would put their hand on a gun while asleep. Anyone who would do that could just as easily strangle their wife with their bare hands or smother her with a pillow. Anyone who does stupid stuff while claiming they are asleep should make arrangements to be locked up each night.
Allow me to type you a story, if I may.

My wife and I have been married for purt-nia Thirty-Five years. I love the woman.

After we’d been married for three or four years I went to work for a car dealer in a very small town in the Texas Panhandle … the only dealer in town. It was a 3 man 1 woman operation. There was the owner/salesman, the mechanic (who had a part-time helper—his son) and I sold parts and helped in the service department also. The owner's wife was the bookkeeper.

Well one night, while dead asleep—and I DO remember this: I started dreaming. I dreamt that there was old Spanish gold under the parts counter, and I had to get it! I grabbed a shovel and started digging, only problem… the handle was my wife’s leg. And, let me tell ya I was a-goin’ to town on that dirt!

She woke up and in a very droggy state she asked me; “What the (*&)@(&#_) are you doin’ with my leg!

The moral of this short story: Never anticipate what you’re going to dream about and what you will do in your dream!

Russ

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

kw5kw wrote: Never anticipate what you’re going to dream about and what you will do in your dream!
Russ
It’s fortunate for your wife you didn’t dream you were fighting off a mad dog and had it by the throat. Otherwise she couldn’t have spoke out waking you up :smile:

It seems you may have/had RBD (REM Behavior Disorder). Researchers claim that during REM sleep the brain transmits the same signals to our limbs as it does when we are awake. Most people are paralyzed during REM sleep and are unable to act out their dreams, as is my situation. I hope you no longer act out your dreams and you can rest easy, as I never have.

PS Happy to hear you newlyweds are still together :smile:

Crossfire

Re: You'll probably laugh at this...

Post by Crossfire »

quidni wrote:My "pillow gun" isn't under my pillow; it's zipped inside a stuffed animal!...
No small kids in the house, or among our friends' families, so that's not a worry.
Quidni,

I think that's about the best one yet! I am always interested in unique hiding places. I don't consider myself paranoid, but I do have at least one firearm in just about every room in the house. My bedroom Glock lives inside a set of steps by my bed. The top step is hinged like a toy box. I actually got the steps so my little weiner dog can get up on the bed, but they make a nice, easily accessible, hiding place.

Yes, I have a Bedroom Glock, a Living Room Glock, a Dining Room revolver, and a Kitchen Commander. And then, of course, my carry gun.

Like I said, I'm not paranoid - I just believe in being prepared. And you know, just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you!
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Wilson wrote: It’s fortunate for your wife you didn’t dream you were fighting off a mad dog and had it by the throat. Otherwise she couldn’t have spoke out waking you up :smile:
My father was a severe COPD/emphysema patient. People with breathing problems don't sleep well, and he would sometimes have very wild dreams.

Once he dreamed he was being attacked by a German Shepherd, and kicked my mother out of the bed!

We laugh about it now, but he got several good shots on her before she hit the floor.

Kevin
Last edited by KBCraig on Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

revjen45

Post by revjen45 »

Several handguns and a 100K candlepower light within reach.
Better to perish in struggle for freedom than live to see defeat.

Topic author
Diode
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Diode »

revjen45 wrote:Several handguns and a 100K candlepower light within reach.
Your ready... :thumbsup:

Glockdude1

Post by Glockdude1 »

Glockdude1..........................
"If War is HELL, Take a better Pitchfork than the DEVIL!!!"

cjlandry

Post by cjlandry »

kw5kw wrote: The moral of this short story: Never anticipate what you’re going to dream about and what you will do in your dream!

Russ
When I was 22, I had a dream that I was going for a ride on my sportster. I was lying on my stomach when I kick-started the bike. My big toenail caught on the fitted sheet and was ripped completely off.

So the body will definitely sometimes follow the mind during a dream.

Topic author
Diode
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Diode »

I like those.... thanks!@

cjlandry

Post by cjlandry »

I'm thinking about shelling out the $8 for a Glock Sport holster and screwing it to the end of a 1x4, which will then slip between the mattress and box-spring.

If it's already been mentioned, sorry. I haven't read every post in this thread.

da.suxor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by da.suxor »

I have my PT111 on the nightstand. Our plan however is when we feel there is an intruder, we grab the kids and get in my closet in the bathroom (large walk in). In there is the ammo, shotty and other 9MM. Arm the wife with the shotty or 9MM, call the cops ont eh spare cell phone in the closet, and once I feel awake, attempt to clear the house.

Of course the security system and 3 large dogs will be alot to get through first.
Sic vis pacem, para bellum

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”