Introduce yourself

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

A-R
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by A-R »

Hello friends. Been lurking here and other CHL/gun boards for a while, but never signed up for one until now. I guess the Obama-inspired re-discovery of my interest in and importance of gun-related matters has spilled over into finally joining a discussion board (along with some new gun purchases).

Going back to the original post from 2004, here's my relevant info ...

Profession/school status: Realtor, GRI (Cedar Park/Austin area) / BA Journalism, U. of Houston, 1996
Marital status: Married (2 young children)
Years CHL: since 1998
Texas State Representative House District: 20 (Dan Gattis)
Carry guns/equipment:

My three carry options ...

* Ruger LCP .380 ACP w/ Crimson Trace lasergrip in a "Guru" (pocketholsters.com) pocket holster - this is my everyday, everywhere carry gun - currently loaded with Hornady Critical Defense - spare mag fits into a small sleeve/pouch behind my cell phone in my Nite Ize cell phone holster (sweet!)

* Smith & Wesson 638 Airweight .38 Special 5-shot J-frame in a DeSantis Nemisis pocket holster intended for a Kahr PM (but fits the J-frame better than the intended Nemisis version); also recently been using a High Noon Holsters "Split Decision" tuckable IWB when the situation calls for it - currently loaded with Federal Hydrashock .38 special - but am trying out some +P ammo that I may start carrying soon - usually one or two Bianchi speed strips

* Glock 23 - my second ever pistol, purchased around 1998-99 (traded in a Colt Mustang, which - seeing current prices - I wish I still owned). Numerous holsters, currently liking the Bianchi 82 belt slide with lock function; also a Galco Royal Guard IWB; a Don Hume paddle; and some cheap nylon holster that currently holds the gun in my new gun safe. Have been carrying .40 cal. Federal Hydrashocks in this gun forever. Spare 13-round mag in some cheap leather snap-on belt holster. I've kept the pistol factory stock since I bought it, original adjustable Glock sights, and never really done any work or altered anything - added a Hogue slip-on rubber grip cushion. I can shoot very well, but not "great" with this pistol and have a lot of confidence in it. But after 10 years, I probably need to get it to a good Glock armorer just to check everything out - time to replace springs? - maybe finally get some Trijicon sights too.

* Kershaw Blur spring-loaded pocket knife - Ken Onion design, tanto tip blade with serrated lower half.

* Coast Tac Torch 90 lumens flashlight

Also at home in the safe ...

* Bushmaster AR-15 - 16-inch barrel, collapsible stock, A3 flat top w/ removable carry handle. This is my "Obama" gun - I've always wanted one, but wasn't serious about buying one until I became convinced our president could actually re-instate the AWB. So I bought it at Academy last month. Don't plan to trick it out too much, but do have my eyes on an EOTech red-dot sight when I can afford it, plus a simple flashlight mount up front and a one-point sling are in the works. Might also get a good 3x9 or 4.5x14 hunting scope too, if some talked about coyote hunting becomes a reality.

* Ruger Mini 14 Tactical - 16-inch barrel, ATI folding, pistol-grip stock ... another "Obama" purchase. But can't afford to keep both .223 rifles, so this one is going to the gun show next week in Austin for sale. Let me know if anyone here would like to buy it before then.

* Browning BPS 12 gauge 3 1/2 inch chamber, 28-inch barrel, black polymer slide & stock - awesome shotgun for tossing up clays and just general all around fun; enormously heavy, and solid as a rock (could certainly be used as a club if you run out of shells). Traded a Kahr PM40 (p.o.s.) for this shotgun last year. First shotgun I've ever owned other than grandpa's old .410s. Love the bottom eject and solid construction. Looked up the serial # and this one was made about 1992. Was going to make this into a home defense shotgun, until I saw the cost of a 20-inch barrel ($300 + - could just buy a Rem 870 or Moss 500 for that). So for now, just keep it for having fun with clays on family land. But, it could still be used to scare the life out of a home intruder in a pinch - big, nasty sounding pump action.

* Winchester 74 semi-auto .22 short - just got the firing pin fixed on this ol' gun (finally) from McBride's in Austin. Took it out and put 50 rounds through it and it fires straight and true just like I remembered it from my teen-age years (the last time I really used it). I looked up info about this model, and it is likely about 65 years old. Was given to me by my maternal grandpa when I was 15. Only downside is, because of the big heavy-duty semi-auto action, it doesn't like the super-quiet low-velocity CB short rounds (720 FPS). But it still cycles like a dream with high velocity (1000 FPS) short rounds. Although I'm probably going to finally buy a Ruger 10/22 soon and trick it out into a target gun, as far accuracy I'll still put this ol' .22 up against any stock .22 semi-auto you can buy today, including a 10/22.

* Mossburg 183D-d bolt-action .410 shotgun w/ 3-round internal magazine. Great little gun - handed down from my paternal grandpa, who passed away last year. Just wish you could keep three shells in the internal magazine withOUT one in the chamber. But you have to load one in the chamber and two in the mag.

* Stevens 94C single-shot .410 shotgun. While "de-rusting" this ol' gun (another hand-me-down from grandpa) I got a little overly aggressive with the Flitz and stripped most of the bluing off. But it's clean now and I just keep it well oiled. It shoots well, but is quite a challenge to consistently hit clays.

Wish list:

What the heck, thought I'd add this ...

* Ruger 10/22 or Remington 597 to trick out into a tack-driver target rifle and/or possibly a Magnum Research "light" rifle with graphite bull barrel in either .22LR or .17HMR - already tricked out - just add a scope and start putting holes on top of each other.

* Quality, all purpose bolt-action hunting rifle in either .270 or .308 - feel free to offer suggestions ... possibly even a super-accurate varmint and/or sniper type set up.

* If I could find mags for it ... an FNAR .308 semi-auto - love this gun, sub MOA accuracy guaranteed out of the box, light-weight fluted barrel, action based on the Browning BAR ... but they apparently didn't make enough mags for this gun, what little can be found are being "scalped" at $150 each.

* One more subcompact carry gun ... either a Walther PPS or a Glock 27

* 1911 - probably something very stock Mil-Spec - Springfield, Rock Island?

* H&K USP .45

* Sig Sauer in .357 Sig - probably a 226/229??

* S&W 686 .357 Magnum stainless - prefer an older 6-shot version if I find a great deal.

... and now I'm REALLY dreaming -- a Glock carbine rifle using standard Glock mags in 9mm, .40, .45 similar to the brilliant Beretta PX4 carbine/pistol combo.

mikeintexas
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mikeintexas »

I just found the intro page after a couple of weeks here.

I got my CHL in February of 2008. My wife has her packet from the state and is waiting to get into a class now.

We both have a Taurus PT145. I am waiting for a Ruger LCP to arrive.

I have been on a national CHL forum, but like the Texas flavor better. :txflag:

Mike

tfrazier
Posts in topic: 13

Post by tfrazier »

Welcome aboard, Mike! I believe we've already traded posts elsewhere in the forum, but nice "officially" meeting ya!

dadobuns

Post by dadobuns »

Profession/school status: Telecom
Marital status: Married
Years CHL: 2 years
Texas State Representative House District: Paxton/70
Carry guns/equipment: S&W 649, Glock 23, H&K P2000sk

74novaman
Posts in topic: 11

Post by 74novaman »

Hello fellow Texas CHLers. I've been making a few posts already and hadn't bothered to introduce myself. I'll use the format from the original post to make it easy on everybody. :biggrinjester:

Age- 22
Gender-male
Profession/school status-Senior at Texas A&M, graduating in August with a History degree
Marital status- In a relationship
Years CHL- "Processing Application" :banghead:
Carry guns/equipment- Taurus Millenium Pro PT145 in .45ACP. Just ordered a CrossBreed Supertuck because of the great reviews of it.

As you can tell from my name, I'm a car guy. Have a 1974 Chevy Nova that is currently in pieces getting built up as a street/strip style weekend warrior.

Glad to be here. :tiphat:
TANSTAAFL

Backwoods

Post by Backwoods »

Been reading here for months. Great forum. Thanks for your efforts.

Married: 16 years, 2 young teenage kids. One of each.
Precision Manufacturing: Estimator
CHL Pending: Mailed 3/28/09

Only pistol in the house belongs to my wife - .357 Ruger Security Six so I'll have to buy my own. Still saving and shopping for a CCW. Looking at Taurus PT1911, Springfield XD45C W/4" barrel or Taurus PT145.

Love the outdoors. Hunting, Fishing, Hiking. Hand loading my own stuff. Just starting bullet casting. Spending time at the range. Also like Black powder, Archery (Traditional), woodworking and just building things in my garage.
NRA
PT145 Millennium Pro SST
M&P 9mm Shield

longhorn_92
Posts in topic: 12

Post by longhorn_92 »

Backwoods wrote:Been reading here for months. Great forum. Thanks for your efforts.

Married: 16 years, 2 young teenage kids. One of each.
Precision Manufacturing: Estimator
CHL Pending: Mailed 3/28/09

Only pistol in the house belongs to my wife - .357 Ruger Security Six so I'll have to buy my own. Still saving and shopping for a CCW. Looking at Taurus PT1911, Springfield XD45C W/4" barrel or Taurus PT145.

Love the outdoors. Hunting, Fishing, Hiking. Hand loading my own stuff. Just starting bullet casting. Spending time at the range. Also like Black powder, Archery (Traditional), woodworking and just building things in my garage.

Welcome to the forum!! Glad that you are here. :thumbs2:
“If you try to shoot me, I will have to shoot you back, and I promise you I won’t miss!”

NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Member

USA1
Posts in topic: 143

Post by USA1 »

love to browse forum,i think i have learned more reading here than ive learned from any instructor or class. also some of the reading is pretty halarious ,we all need a good laugh now and again!
:woohoo
Age-40 something
Gender-male
Profession-self employed
Marital status-married 24 years-2 kids
Years CHL-waiting -in process
Carry guns/equipment-taurus millennium pro .45 ,kershaw assisted opening
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

tropicalsun

Post by tropicalsun »

Just joined the forum and thought I would introduce myself.

Name: Rob
S: Male
Married: 20 years
Children: 1 (18 year old son, finishing freshman year at Texas Tech -dual degree program of Architecture/Civil engineering

History - Served in Marine Corps in the early '80's. Most of my time was spent as an Embassy Guard in Africa and Europe. Did alot of dignitary security. Left the Marine Corps and worked for the State Dept for a year. Then went to Dutch Harbor, Alaska and crabbed/longlined for 18 months. Moved to Kona, Hawaii and ran my own charter business for 12 years. Towards the end of that time I started preaching in church. Ended up being called to pastor in Seabrook, Tx. Been her nine years.

Did my CHL class yesterday. My wife will do hers next Friday. She has a new Glock 19 and I have a XDM 9mm.

We are looking forward to learning and keeping informed through this forum.

God bless,
Tropicalsun
Rob

Tankueray

Post by Tankueray »

Hi, I've been watching for a while and have filled out my application online a few times, and decided to register here and finish that app. today. My class is this weekend, and I'm a little intimidated by the rapid fire portion. I have a S&W .38 revolver that I've shot with since I was 12, and a Skyy (Sccy) 9mm that I got last year for my birthday. The Skyy kind of freaks me out, either I'm using bad ammo or it's got a bad firing pin, because sometimes I pull the trigger and it doesn't discharge. The next pull always results in a discharge. It's a great size, but a long, heavy trigger pull. I rented a Kimber 9mm a few weeks ago and my spaghetti wrist couldn't keep the cartridges from catching in the slide instead of expelling. On the plus side, I've had a lot of practice clearing a weapon now. I'm going to the range with better ammo this week to see if it's the pin or not.
Anyway, hello!

Name: Mandy
S: Female
Single
Children: no
04/19/2009 - Completed online application
04/25/2009 - CHL class
04/29/2009 - Received application paperwork from DPS - PIN Received
04/30/2009 - Mailed application to DPS
05/02/2009 - Paperwork Received
08/06/2009 - Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
08/07/2009 - In Hand

A-R
Posts in topic: 2

Post by A-R »

Mandy,

I am by no means a firearms expert, but I have been carrying legally now for 10 years. First thing, you absolutely want to qualify with a semi-auto pistol and NOT your S&W revolver. If you qualify with a revolver, then you can only carry a revolver (at least, that's the way it's always been, if this has changed someone please correct me). But if you qualify with a semi-auto you can carry either.

Not familar with your particular firearm, but if you're not 100% comfortable with it, then I'd recommend going to the range where you'll be shooting and finding a quality rental semi-auto gun in a small caliber (9mm or .380) that you can shoot reasonably well. Then make sure that gun will be available for you to rent on the day of the class. As long as you qualify with that rented semi-auto, then you can carry your .38 revolver or whatever you like.

As for a good, comfortable, easy to shoot semi-auto, I always recommend any shooter relatively new to semi-autos start with a Glock or a similar style gun. These guns are very easy to learn to shoot and very solid, reliable, and accurate. A Springfield Armory XD series or Smith & Wesson's new M&P semi-auto series are very similar to Glocks in many ways. Any of these guns in 9mm should be available to rent at a quality range. If you don't like the "safe action" trigger of these types of guns and prefer something closer the the trigger operation of your S&W revolver, then a Beretta or Sig Sauer or an older-style S&W semi-auto would work well for you.

And remember, when you're qualifying, you don't have to conceal the gun; and the larger the gun (especially barrel length) usually the easier it is to shoot and the more accurate). So go ahead and rent a "full size" version of one of these guns to use for qualifying.

Lastly, don't fret over the "rapid fire" portions of the shooting test. They're really not that fast and not that difficult. If you can shoot your .38 reasonbly well, you'll do fine with a rental semi-auto.

Good luck to you. Let us know how it turns out.

cbjetboy

Post by cbjetboy »

Hello everyone! This is my first post and like many of you I am waiting for my card. I wish all of you good luck and speedy turnarounds! :txflag:
cbjetboy - NRA Life Member :txflag:
Kimber Ultra Carry II LG .45 | Kimber Grand Raptor II .45 | S&W Model 66 .357 Mag
04/14 - Received by DPS | 07/04 - CHL in Hand | 113 Days

DavidV319

Post by DavidV319 »

My name is David Villanueva
Profession: Electricial Apprentence
Marital status : Single, but with two daughters
Years CHL: 0.. Just Took CHL Class and waiting on my plastic!
Texas State Representative House District: Not sure, If anyone could tell me.. I wpold appreciate it..
Carry guns/equipment : Glock 36, Tarus 92

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 50

Post by seamusTX »

Welcome to the forum.

You can find all your elected representatives by your home address here:
http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

Plano Mark

Post by Plano Mark »

Hello,

I am Mark, live in Plano TX and received my permit over a year ago. My CCW is a Bersa Thunder UC 9mm. I love it, although I am looking for another CCW to add. I enjoy shooting, been doing it for about 25 years. I have several handguns from .22 to .45. .38 Super is my favorite caliber. I reloaded a few years ago, quit, but with the problems with buying factory ammo I plan to start again soon.

I enjoy learning and sharing when possible.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”