Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Piney
Posts in topic: 1

Holsters and IDPA Events

Post by Piney »

Greetings--

I carry in a CTAC IWB holster. I've also been using it when shooting at IDPA events. I've had a few folks suggest that I get an OWB holster. I tried a Fobus paddle, but it holds the gun too tightly.

I feel that I can handle the use of my IWB holster well. At this point in time, the difference in the amt of time to draw isn't critical to my medocre scores :roll:

Soliciting other's comments-- IWB vs OWB for IDPA events ???
Thanks--

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

I think it depends why you go to compete in IDPA. If you are just having fun and "gaming" then an OWB holster might be in the cards for you. There are lots of great options out there (My preference is for Tucker and High Noon).

If your goal for IDPA is to get better with what you carry just in case you ever need to use it... then use your normal carry gear. That is what I do and there is no way that I will be winning any matches in the near future, but I have fun and I get better. The one difference is that I normally carry my spare mag in my front pocket. For IDPA I do use a belt holster for 2 spare mags.

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

I've shot matches with both IWB and OWB. Both worked fine with one exeption...

After a long course of fire, (2 reloads in CDP), the gun is HOTTTTTTTT! That being the case, I like OWB much better.

TraCoun

Be careful ...

Post by TraCoun »

Because of the rules changes a year + ago in IDPA, you need to make sure the holster you pick will be 'IDPA legal' if that's where you want to use it. I have a perfectly good, useable and concealable CompTac that is NOT IDPA legal. When I carry I use my Milt Sparks VM-2 IWB more, but sometimes the CompTac. If you're not worried about that, get what works best for you. Plus some IDPA clubs don't push the holster stuff to that fine a point for club matches. When you go to a sanctioned match (state, regional, nationals etc.) you have to have 'legal' gear.
TraCoun

sensei

Post by sensei »

As previously stated, You have to decide what you want out ot IDPA.

For awhile I was looking at G-34's, etc. Fixin' (Texas word) to spend alot of extra money. Then it dawned on me, the only time I would use it would be in matches.

I decided to just go with what I carry all the time. Either a G-30 (.45) or a G-26 (9mm). Both are the sub-compact model.

I just use my normal carry holsters. As thats what I need to practice with. It's not like it's going to make a whole lot of difference in MY score, anyway.

Now if I ever come in second, I will probably change my mind and get real concerned about it. Ha!

sensei

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”