What do you guys think about this?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 3

Re: What do you guys think about this?

Post by Excaliber »

seamusTX wrote:We will answer newbie questions as long as there are new newbies to ask them. We will take newbies shooting in rain, snow, sleet, and dark of night if necessary.

To do otherwise will ultimately be the death of the shooting sports and the right to keep and bear arms.

Those who are tired of newbie questions should just pass on by and find something more worthy of their august attention.

- Jim
:iagree:
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

stroo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by stroo »

It isn't surprising that you shot better with one gun than with the other. We are all built just a little differently and some guns will work better for you than others. Personally I shoot a Browning Hi Power better than anything else. Don't know why but I do. It just feels better in my hands. That's why people here suggested that you rent a gun and shoot it before buying.

I am no longer a noob and I still like the external safety features of an XD or my Hi Power. Moreover at least anecdoitally it seems to me there are more cases of people accidentally shooting themselves with Glocks that with guns like the HiPowere, 1911 or XDs with external safeties. Might just be my perception, but I haven't seen any studies indicating otherwise.

Bottomline, buy the gun the feels the best to you, that you shoot the best, and that you are most comfortable with. Then learn to run it with whatever safety features it has so that it becomes second nature to you.

Topic author
BlackWidow
Posts in topic: 8

Post by BlackWidow »

stroo wrote:It isn't surprising that you shot better with one gun than with the other. We are all built just a little differently and some guns will work better for you than others. Personally I shoot a Browning Hi Power better than anything else. Don't know why but I do. It just feels better in my hands. That's why people here suggested that you rent a gun and shoot it before buying.

I am no longer a noob and I still like the external safety features of an XD or my Hi Power. Moreover at least anecdoitally it seems to me there are more cases of people accidentally shooting themselves with Glocks that with guns like the HiPowere, 1911 or XDs with external safeties. Might just be my perception, but I haven't seen any studies indicating otherwise.

Bottomline, buy the gun the feels the best to you, that you shoot the best, and that you are most comfortable with. Then learn to run it with whatever safety features it has so that it becomes second nature to you.
You are correct. I'm a Noob yes - but from my several months of reading and research I have found out that the Glocks have the highest number of accidental fires, there is even some videos of online of this being captured in training session or seminars. From reading the comments of those people it seems "User Error" was the reason, but I always wondered why it was always a Glock and not others.

I also think I'd like to try the Beretta 92fs and the Spring Field 1911, since they are in "metal" form rather then the "poly-plastic". Those are the two I'll be renting next to compare, from the Glock Vs XD 9 fight - the XD 9 wins for me.

Do you guys know if the Beretta 92fs and Desert Baby Eagle (both in 9mm) would be a better compare rather then the Beretta and SF 1911?

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 7

Post by seamusTX »

You have to keep in mind that Glocks are extremely popular.

You would probably find that Ford F-150s are involved in collisions more than any other pickup truck. That's not because F-150s are inherently unsafe. It's because they have been the best seller for decades and millions are on the road.

The fifth rule of firearms safety is keep your finger out of the trigger guard until your sights are on the target. That's all it takes to be safe.

A Glock is not going to "go off" because you looked at it funny on a day that ends in y.

I'm not tryng to push you toward a Glock. I have never shot one. :shock: I'm just trying to keep you from making a decision on the basis of Internet urban legends.

Don't overlook SIG, CZ, Taurus, or revolvers in your explorations. Some people just plain like revolvers. They have a number of advantages and minor disadvantages.

- Jim

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Well, Blackwidow, here is my take on how your outing went, in motorcycle racing terms.

You decided to try bikes out and found a place that rents Kawasaki's and Suzuki's. The staff are all Suzuki fans even though they rent both. You took both out on the track and found the seat, handlebar, and foot peg angles of the Kaw fit you better than the Suzi, but were wondering why the Suzi was rated so highly. Your lap times on the Kaw were faster, and you were still bothered because everyone recommend the Suzi more. Now you are ready to buy one and wondering which you should get.

If it were a bike, I would recommend the Kaw for you since it fits you better. In the case of the pistols, I think your best choice is the XD, since you prefer the features. I think part of your better score is your attitude towards the weapon (even a subconscious worry about the safeties could affect your Glock score). A second part of the score difference might be the actual grip angle of the XD fits your hand better, making it a little more of a natural pointer for you.

My personal opinion is you can't really go wrong with either one, or with half a dozen other styles I can think of. They are both good guns.
Steve Rothstein

lws380

Post by lws380 »

Here is my take.

Buy the XD 9, I've had one for several years and it shoots great. No problems what so ever. Buy the XD 9 and go to the range as often as you can. Quit spending $ on renting guns and use it to buy the XD, since you seem to like it. Your rent cost is nearly 25% of the cost of the XD! That will get you to the range. Then while there show interest in other shooters guns and they will likely let you shoot it for free. Heck I've had guys just about beg me to try their guns.

If you are like many others you will wind up with several guns anyway. You can always trade what you got to help purchase something else later. Jump in the water is fine!

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

Good for you for deciding to try some other guns before spending your money. I always tell everyone to try as many as you can before making a decision. Get a short list of those you like and pick your gun from that list based on performance, reliability, and its intened use.

Enjoy your journey.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

Topic author
BlackWidow

Post by BlackWidow »

srothstein wrote:Well, Blackwidow, here is my take on how your outing went, in motorcycle racing terms.

You decided to try bikes out and found a place that rents Kawasaki's and Suzuki's. The staff are all Suzuki fans even though they rent both. You took both out on the track and found the seat, handlebar, and foot peg angles of the Kaw fit you better than the Suzi, but were wondering why the Suzi was rated so highly. Your lap times on the Kaw were faster, and you were still bothered because everyone recommend the Suzi more. Now you are ready to buy one and wondering which you should get.

If it were a bike, I would recommend the Kaw for you since it fits you better. In the case of the pistols, I think your best choice is the XD, since you prefer the features. I think part of your better score is your attitude towards the weapon (even a subconscious worry about the safeties could affect your Glock score). A second part of the score difference might be the actual grip angle of the XD fits your hand better, making it a little more of a natural pointer for you.

My personal opinion is you can't really go wrong with either one, or with half a dozen other styles I can think of. They are both good guns.
Thanks for the analogy! I understood it perfectly since this year I raced a 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 636 and for 2009 my team is purchasing a 2007 Suzuki GSXR 600, so its funny you mentioned both these manufacturers. What's funny is that I really love the Yamaha R6 though - hopefully in 2010. :???:

Anyways, after listening to all the posts from this board I will continue to rent guns/try guns/borrow guns in the 9mm for conceal carry, but for the time being I went out and got the Kawasaki Ninja 250 of guns "rlol" - i got a Sig Sauer Mosquito "Sport" yesterday night. I figure start small, and I'll probably enjoy it and learn alot more from it rather then starting out with a 9mm and scaring myself or figuring things out the "expensive" way.

Thanks.

LarryH
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LarryH »

If you are anywhere close to Houston, CompVest teaches a ladies-only class at PSC range ( http://www.psc-range.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ), between Friendswood and Alvin, on the first Saturday morning of every month.

My wife is a fairly regular participant and always learns something, and has fun at the same time.

For those women who don't already have their own gun(s), they provide Ruger Mark III .22s for the shooting part. The women who do have their own will usually let you shoot them, after the formal part is over. That'll give you the opportunity to try the "Hondas, Yamahas or Harleys" without having to rent them.

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 7

Post by seamusTX »

One more comment about rental firearms and range fees in general: You can spend $50 at the range, have fun for a couple of hours, and learn something. See how far $50 gets you at the golf course or in a boat. It's not a lot to pay for someone who isn't worried about every nickel.

- Jim

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

BlackWidow wrote:So I decided to try both the XD 9 and the Glock 19 - they asked for my ID and also gave me the XD 9 and told me to take the magazine out and pull the slide back and release one (i guess this was the test), I did so easily - this was too easy. :clapping:

Any explanations? I thought the Glock 19 was a better gun no?

I'm perplexed guys, and very confused. What do you guys make up of this first outing of mine?
Blackwidow - Welcome to the forum.

First, I would advise you to listen to the forum members rather than someone who is trying to sell you something.

Second, don't base your decision on one outing. It's quite possible the next time out you would shoot the other gun better.

Third, there are other models and manufacturers than the two you tried.

Fourth - Either before or after purchasing your carry gun, buy a .22 pistol.

Fifth - Get some good basic pistol shooting instruction.

Sixth - Practice, practice, practice.
NRA Endowment Member

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

WildBill wrote:
BlackWidow wrote:So I decided to try both the XD 9 and the Glock 19 - they asked for my ID and also gave me the XD 9 and told me to take the magazine out and pull the slide back and release one (i guess this was the test), I did so easily - this was too easy. :clapping:

Any explanations? I thought the Glock 19 was a better gun no?

I'm perplexed guys, and very confused. What do you guys make up of this first outing of mine?
Blackwidow - Welcome to the forum.

First, I would advise you to listen to the forum members rather than someone who is trying to sell you something.

Second, don't base your decision on one outing. It's quite possible the next time out you would shoot the other gun better.

Third, there are other models and manufacturers than the two you tried.

Fourth - Either before or after purchasing your carry gun, buy a .22 pistol.

Fifth - Get some good basic pistol shooting instruction.

Sixth - Practice, practice, practice.
seventh Any gun is better than no gun.. Even Glocks
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

BlackWidow wrote:
stroo wrote:I

I also think I'd like to try the Beretta 92fs and the Spring Field 1911, since they are in "metal" form rather then the "poly-plastic". Those are the two I'll be renting next to compare, from the Glock Vs XD 9 fight - the XD 9 wins for me.

Do you guys know if the Beretta 92fs and Desert Baby Eagle (both in 9mm) would be a better compare rather then the Beretta and SF 1911?
I have a 92fs and really enjoy it. Keep in mind though its a full sized gun. 5 inch barrel with a double stack. Its not so easy for some folks to keep concealed though. I carry mine inside the waist 6:00 small of the back, . Its comfortable as long a I'm not doing much driving. I also use it as my car gun. While it is mostly Steel and aluminum alloy there is quite a bit of plastic built into the newer models the grips, guide rod and trigger is plastic. One of the big advantages are the Mags are a commodity and good reliable ones can be bought for around $15.00.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

DMG

Post by DMG »

CompVest also teaches a ladies only class north of Houston (actually, west of Conroe), if you live in that area. DMG.

Topic author
BlackWidow

Post by BlackWidow »

Why does everyone keep offering me ladies classes?

I'm a dude @ 6'1 and 200 lbs! :woohoo :headscratch

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”