Post by BlackWidow »

Glock 19 VS Spring Field Armory XD 9 - both in 9mm

Which one would you pick and why?

TIA

Lumberjack98
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Glock 19 VS SpringField Armory XD 9

Post by Lumberjack98 »

I like the XD because the grip angle is more comfortable to me.

They are both superb pistols and you can't go wrong with either.
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

bdickens
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bdickens »

Glock 19.

Because that's my daily carry already.

Neither is a bad choice, really.
Byron Dickens

Pinkycatcher

Post by Pinkycatcher »

Glock 19, because then I don't have to buy an XD 9, I already own the Glock.

RedRaider

Post by RedRaider »

I would say XD9, I love mine, I have 3 XD's and have never once had a single malfunction or any problems.

G.C.Montgomery

Post by G.C.Montgomery »

Personal choice, having run both, mine would be the Glock 19. I still see the XD9 as the $275 HS2000 and that is a hard image to shake. Having the Springfield Armory name stamped on a gun that is still made in the same Croatian factory just isn't worth the price increase to me.
When you take the time out of your day to beat someone, it has a much longer lasting effect on their demeanor than simply shooting or tazing them.

G. C. Montgomery, Jr.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

At this time in my life, I would have to say the XD only because arthritus makes it very difficult to break down the Glock. In fact I just sold my G21 and now carry the XD 45.

Either way you cant go wrong
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
BlackWidow
Posts in topic: 4

Post by BlackWidow »

G.C.Montgomery wrote:Personal choice, having run both, mine would be the Glock 19. I still see the XD9 as the $275 HS2000 and that is a hard image to shake. Having the Springfield Armory name stamped on a gun that is still made in the same Croatian factory just isn't worth the price increase to me.
Whoa...

okay someone educate me. What's the HS2000?

What's the history on this?

CainA

Post by CainA »

BlackWidow wrote:
Whoa...

okay someone educate me. What's the HS2000?

What's the history on this?
I didn't read this, but see if it helps.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... tBody;col1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-Cain

particle

Post by particle »

If I'm not mistaken, the HS2000 is the original "XD" before it became the Springer XD.

http://www.rpgfirearms.com.au/HS2000%20Revue..htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.adamsleatherworks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

I agree with G.C. about it being a personal choice. I don't have the HS2000 history, so I'm immune on that front. ;-)

I own multiple Glocks and XDs. Either is a solid choice. IMO, the biggest differences are the trigger and the grip angle and shape (The XD has a grip-to-barrel angle that is almost identical to a 1911-style pistol; the Glock is more like the old Luger: it's set at more of an angle). Inside, the biggest difference is the mechanism that readies and fires the striker, but I wouldn't worry about that.

I'd try to get one of each, side by side. Doesn't need to be at a range. Make doubly sure both are unloaded and do the natural point of aim exercise first.

Step 1: Stand and face something specific and fairly small that's across the room at eye level. Keep your eye on that object and raise your arm, pointing your finger right at that object across the room. Keep your palm perpendicular to the floor, as you would if you had a gun in your hand...don't gansta' it. Do that five times.

Step 2: Then, close your eyes while you raise your arm and point; open your eyes. If you didn't point precisely at the object, adjust your point and lower your arm. Close your eyes and repeat five times.

Step 3: Now pick up one of the two pistols; don't raise it yet! Get a solid master grip with both hands, finger in the indexed position along the slide, then close your eyes. Keeping your eyes closed, raise the pistol and try to point it accurately at that object across the room. Open your eyes and see how you did; don't adjust your aim, just see how closely you aligned the sights on the target.

Put that pistol down; only one try with it. Towel off the perspiration and get some water :mrgreen: and go back to Step 1. Do the two-sets of five finger-only points before you pick up pistol number two, close your eyes, and see how that one aligns for you.

It isn't difficult to get used to different pistols, and if something inside tells you to buy one or the other, go for it. But all other things being equal, a new shooter will make faster progress with a gun that most closely matches his or her natural point of aim. Accuracy will come a little more quickly, as will post-shot recovery and speed of presentation from holster.

After you decide which one is closest to your natural point of aim, dry fire each one of the guns at least a dozen or so times. Focus only the trigger: crisp or mushy? A lot of travel before it engages and fires, or less travel? Weight of pull? Decide which feels best to you.

I'd recommend you also get a feel for the trigger reset. John Farnam calls this "catching the link," which is a good descriptive way of how it feels. Test it this way: dry fire the pistol and keep the trigger pressed all the way back; don't release it. Then reach up with your off-hand and cycle the slide (you don't have to go for a full all-the-way-back-and-let-go cycle; cycling it about a third of the way is plenty and you can ride the slide down; you're just "cocking" it, not cycling a cartridge). Now slowly let your trigger finger out. At some point before the trigger is all the way out, you'll feel a click. This is "catching the link." At that point, even though you haven't let the trigger return all the way out, you can now fire again. This trigger reset point is important to the ability to fire multiple shots accurately and with speed.

The trigger reset will be less of a factor for you in choosing this first defensive firearm, and it can always be tuned by a gunsmith later. But if one of the two pistols feels noticeably better than the other in "catching the link," make a note of it and use as your tie breaker if you just can't make up your mind. :mrgreen:

I know you've narrowed it down to two very good choices, but if you have a chance before making the purchase, I'd also suggest you try a Smith & Wesson M&P. It will feel different than either the Glock or XD, and it has user-swappable backstraps that can easily make the grip larger or smaller, depending upon your hand size.

All three of these are similar in that they're polymer framed, striker fired pistols. The Glock has the longest history, but all three have good reliability records. And I'll bet you one of these three will come close to your natural point of aim.

Good luck!
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

I prefer the Glock but the XD is a decent gun and if a friend preferred the XD I wouldn't try to change her mind.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

russ

Post by russ »

boomerang wrote:I prefer the Glock but the XD is a decent gun and if a friend preferred the XD I wouldn't try to change her mind.
My "HER" likes the XD too and its not worth the time to even try to change her mind. But there really is no reason too both
are excellent guns.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

There is no accounting for taste on handguns. My prefered handgun is plastic with patches of skateboard tape. With what is described as a horrible trigger. Some folks only carry full size guns, others like the itty bitty guns. I even know folks who like Glocks.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
BlackWidow
Posts in topic: 4

Post by BlackWidow »

Liberty wrote:There is no accounting for taste on handguns. My prefered handgun is plastic with patches of skateboard tape. With what is described as a horrible trigger. Some folks only carry full size guns, others like the itty bitty guns. I even know folks who like Glocks.
:lol:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”