Gander Mountain in Houston

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Suckhow
Posts in topic: 3

Gander Mountain in Houston

Post by Suckhow »

Was listening to am 610 radio this morning and heard about a now outdoor sporting goods superstore grand opening in Houston called Gander Mountain. Anyone know anything about these places? Heard something about indoor ranges in the radio advertisements. Who knows the scoop on this new place? Does Houston finally have a Cabela's - like store?

Kalrog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Kalrog »

Houston has had a Cabela's like store for a while - Bass Pro shops in Katy.

Austin is about to get a Cabelas, I think it is, down south in Buda. I can't wait. For now, the closest thing we have is Sportsman's Warehouse and it is nice and bigger/better than Academy, but still not in the same league as the other 3 mentioned (Bass Pro, Cabela's, Gander Mountain).

Topic author
Suckhow

Post by Suckhow »

Kalrog wrote:Houston has had a Cabela's like store for a while - Bass Pro shops in Katy.

Austin is about to get a Cabelas, I think it is, down south in Buda. I can't wait. For now, the closest thing we have is Sportsman's Warehouse and it is nice and bigger/better than Academy, but still not in the same league as the other 3 mentioned (Bass Pro, Cabela's, Gander Mountain).
So what do you know about Gander Mountain? I haven't heard the best things about Katy's Bass Pro, but the Cabela's I've go to between Toledo and Detroit (relatives live near there so I go around the holidays) is awesome.

Kalrog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Kalrog »

I have heard good things about Gander Mountain, but I have no personal experience with them.

Been to the Bass Pro in Katy, and I haven't had any problems there at all - lots of stuff to drool over, but I have only bought camping stuff there in the past.

I have relatives in the Flint area, but haven't made the trek to Detroit for a Cabela's yet.

Topic author
Suckhow

Post by Suckhow »

Kalrog wrote:I have relatives in the Flint area, but haven't made the trek to Detroit for a Cabela's yet.
Dude, you NEED to go to that Cabela's. That place is jaw-dropping.

wrt45
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Gander Mountain in Houston

Post by wrt45 »

Suckhow wrote:Was listening to am 610 radio this morning and heard about a now outdoor sporting goods superstore grand opening in Houston called Gander Mountain. Anyone know anything about these places? Heard something about indoor ranges in the radio advertisements. Who knows the scoop on this new place? Does Houston finally have a Cabela's - like store?
Gander Mountain has already opened their store in Corsicana and in Amarillo. Its a good operation. They've got good prices. I picked up a couple of guns at really good discounts at the Amarillo store's grand opening. A good buddy picked up a sweet deal on a Kimber at the Corsicanna store. They've also got good prices on all the outdoor stuff, particularly canoes and kayaks.

Years ago Gander Mountain was a big competitor to Cabelas up north. Cabelas bought out their catalog division, so now the company only operates retail stores, which they've recently begun opening in southern markets.

XD_Dan
Posts in topic: 4

Post by XD_Dan »

OOPS...double post. :oops:

See below.
Last edited by XD_Dan on Wed May 04, 2005 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

XD_Dan

Post by XD_Dan »

Suckhow wrote:Was listening to am 610 radio this morning and heard about a now outdoor sporting goods superstore grand opening in Houston called Gander Mountain. Anyone know anything about these places? Heard something about indoor ranges in the radio advertisements. Who knows the scoop on this new place? Does Houston finally have a Cabela's - like store?
There is already a Gander Mountain open on 290 @ Hwy 6 (on the NW side).

They are about to open one in Sugar Land (I-59 @ 99) and another one in Spring.

They have great deals. Go give them a look when you have some spare time.

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

The new GM just opened Spring, about 5 miles from my house. It is what it is. If your looking for milsurps or EBR then GM is not your place. Look elsewhere.

They do have a very large selection all other types of rifles and shotguns. The one by me doesnt have a large selection of handguns, but what they do have is some [abbreviated profanity deleted] the most popular ones. Sig, glock, Taurus, Kimber, and Springfield. The prices for most of the firearms to me is a joke. Several items were more then MSRP.

The used guns they did have were priced at NIB or higher than NIB.

There was a small but decent selection of reloading gear. Some of the most popular equipment from Lyman, RCBS, and Hornady, and MEC. Powder and primers are kept behind the counter for some reason.

They do have a small selection of magazines for some of the more popular guns. Some were even normal capacity. There is also almost any cleaning product that you may desire.

GM does get high praise for the ammo section. The prices are very good and the selection was outstanding. They even have several .303 an 7.62x54R in several brands.

If tacticle and EBRs are your thing then you might not want to waste your time with GM, but if your into hunting, fishing, camping, archery, or other outdoor activities and don't mind some slightly higher prices then head on over and kill a couple of hours.

XD_Dan

Post by XD_Dan »

dws1117 wrote: The prices for most of the firearms to me is a joke. Several items were more then MSRP.
GM has a low price guarantee. If you find a better verifiable price, GM will not only meet it, but also subtract the difference - up to $50.00.

If GM has a pistol for $500, and you find the same thing at Carter's Country for $475...GM will match the $475, and then apply the $25 difference. You can get the pistol at GM for $450. It makes their list price a little sweeter, but you have to do your homework.

XD_Dan

Post by XD_Dan »

XD_Dan wrote: They are about to open one in Sugar Land (I-59 @ 99) and another one in Spring.
I was mistaken. Both stores are now open.

The Sugar Land location has been open for almost two weeks, but their grand opening celebration is this Fri, Sat & Sun. There are supposed to be some really good sales there. Might be worth a look-see.

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

Thanks for the information XD_Dan. I was not aware of that they had this policy.

Johnny Van Etta
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Johnny Van Etta »

The used guns they did have were priced at NIB or higher than NIB.
Help me here...NIB = New in the Box
higher than NIB = What????? Newer than that? Maybe in the white??? Perhaps just priced higher?

Sorry, I could not help myself.

JVE

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

No problem. Thanks for the correction.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”