Springfield EMP .40 review

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
sylus27
Posts in topic: 2

Springfield EMP .40 review

Post by sylus27 »

Hey guys - I bought a Springfield EMP (the .40 cal version) this morning. I gave it a good cleaning and then took it out to the range this afternoon. I will be returning it for a refund tomorrow. :grumble

I brought a 250 round box of Remington UMC with me to the range to see how it performed. My Kimber 1911 had a few failure to feed issues when I first got it so I hoped the integral barrel ramp on the EMP would take care of those. A FTF was the only issue I DIDN’T have with the EMP. I didn't even get through all 250 rounds before I got so fed up I had to leave. In 200 rounds it had maybe 15 or 20 various failures. That's almost one failure per magazine fired.

8 or 10 times the fired brass failed to eject. This is an obvious one – the brass I had just fired made it about halfway out of the barrel and stayed there. The next round was pushed into the barrel ramp and got stuck underneath the empty brass. Kind of frustrating to lock the slide back, drop the magazine (which also removes the live round on top that failed to feed), remove the empty brass and start over.

4 times after firing the last round in a magazine the slide failed to lock back. Not too big of a deal if you’re counting shots, but if you get sidetracked or actually have to protect yourself the last think you want is the hammer dropping on an empty chamber when you think you have a loaded weapon. I kept track of the magazines and this happened with two of the three magazines provided by Springfield.

Twice the slide locked back a few shots into a loaded magazine! This one really got me. The second time it happened I looked closer and the slide stop just barely caught the notch but it was still enough to lock it open. I’m still shaking my head about how it could fail to lock open on an empty magazine but catch on a loaded one.

Anyway, the gun shot well. It was plenty accurate for a 3� barrel and wasn’t as “snappy� as I expected a micro-compact to be. I’ll still be returning it tomorrow. Some people say that 1911s need a little breaking in but this is ridiculous. My full size 1911 had a couple of FTF’s…but didn't frustrate me so much that I actually left the range long before I planned. If you have an EMP I hope you’re luckier than I was, if not, I’d suggest staying away. I'm really disappointed, I was hoping for more from a gun that set me back well over $1,000. At least I still like my XD.
April 2008 - Packet received by DPS
August 2008 - Plastic in hand!
April 2013 - Renewal packet submitted

Mithras61
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Springfield EMP .40 review

Post by Mithras61 »

Maybe you should try a different brand of ammo. Several members here have reported issues with Remington UMC. Maybe some Winchester white box would be a better practice round (and likely cheaper besides).

red2000vette

Post by red2000vette »

[quote="sylus27"]Hey guys - I bought a Springfield EMP (the .40 cal version) this morning. I gave it a good cleaning and then took it out to the range this afternoon. I will be returning it for a refund tomorrow. :grumble :iagree:

My friend and I have an ongoing challenge: EMP vs. Kimber Aegis. I know that both the Kimber and the Springfield 1911 are supposed to have a break in period. This bugs me and this I don't quite get - but be that as is may. Here's the story. He is having all types of failures at the rate you described. My gun - flawless. He is actually having to lube his EMP halfway through a box of 100 target rounds. It is locking up due to dryness and has had to go to grease to get it to stop doing this.

Ammo question: USE the White Box stuff and bag the Remington loads. The Remingtons are dirtier that the WWB and have given me my first ever failures with my SIG p232. My range ran out of WWB and I was forced to use the Remington - Never again.

Just my 2 cents. I am not an EMP fan. Yes, it is just a bit niftier looking than my Kimber but I will take quality over looks every time.

Bill

ScubaSigGuy

Post by ScubaSigGuy »

[quote="sylus27"]Hey guys - I bought a Springfield EMP (the .40 cal version) this morning. I gave it a good cleaning and then took it out to the range this afternoon. I will be returning it for a refund tomorrow. :grumble [quote]

Just curious, where do you by pistols that they let you fire them and then return them for a refund? Most shops make it pretty clear that when one you've bought it, it's yours and any concerns about performance need to be handled with the manufacturer. But maybe that's just the metroplex.
S.S.G.

"A champion doesn’t become a champion in the ring. He is merely recognized in the ring.The ‘becoming’ happens during his daily routine." Joe Louis

NRA MEMBER

AEA
Posts in topic: 4

Post by AEA »

I was wondering about that myself........

In regards to my purchase of a 9mm EMP:
I waited 4 Months after paying to receive the gun from a Dealer group buy and Springfield could never fill the order.
I canceled my purchase and received a full refund from the Dealer.

I will probably buy one in the future (used & broken in).
I am not interested in a .40 cal as 3 cals are enough for me to keep up with (38Spl./9mm/45ACP).
Oh........2 more (5.56 and 12ga)! "rlol"
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

htxred
Posts in topic: 3

Post by htxred »

either the ammo or you're limpwristing. why dont you send it to me and i'll give you a second opinion :clapping: :cheers2: :coolgleamA: :iagree: :anamatedbanana

barres

Post by barres »

I have no personal experience with Springfield pistols, but their customer service has a wonderful reputation. Before you give up entirely, maybe you aught to give them a chance to make things right. No body likes to get a lemon, but nobody likes to not get a second chance on the occasions that we do make a mistake, either. I think they'll make it right. Best of luck, whatever road you choose.
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

AEA

Post by AEA »

:iagree: Springfield's Customer Service is the BEST there is in the Market!
Unfortunately, their Production Department does not have the same reputation (at least for delivery of EMP 9mm's). :shock:
1911's RULE!

htxred

Post by htxred »

Alan, wish you woulda jumped on mine when i had it for sale!!!

but believe that i have moved on to better things, STI ranger II :hurry: :coolgleamA:

AEA

Post by AEA »

htxred, I saw yours and would have jumped but my funds were tied up at that time (waiting on delivery of the not-forthcoming EMP).
1911's RULE!

htxred

Post by htxred »

now that you have your money back, i recommend you finding a group buy and going with STI or just find a dealer.

AEA

Post by AEA »

I think I will just buy another Wilson Combat in 9mm.
1911's RULE!

Topic author
sylus27
Posts in topic: 2

Post by sylus27 »

I used Remington UMC and 50 rounds of Fiochi (sp?) that I got with the pistol. I wasn't limp-wristing - in fact, after the first few failures I concentrated on nothing but proper form. The failure to ejects weren't stove-pipes, the brass didn't even make it out of the chamber. I don't know if limp-wristing can cause that, but I did focus on proper grip/form/etc after the gun started failing - and it continued.

I bought it from Collector's Firearms in Houston. They were really great about it - I've never had a bad experience with them. They said they usually don't accept returns but made an exception because I only wanted to exchange it. I gave the EMP a detailed cleaning, and the guy I talked to said he couldn't even tell I had fired the gun. Anyway, I think I'll stick with my HK P2000SK for my primary CHL. I exchanged the EMP for a Smith and Wesson M&P .45 and a Seecamp - it came out to almost an even money trade.
April 2008 - Packet received by DPS
August 2008 - Plastic in hand!
April 2013 - Renewal packet submitted

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”