Concealed Carry Full Size Pistol

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
red2000vette
Posts in topic: 7

Concealed Carry Full Size Pistol

Post by red2000vette »

Just thought I'd put my 2 cents in on the issue of concealed carry of a full sized gun. I just received my new fist IWB holster for my CZ75B SS. I had doubts as to whether I would be able to conceal it as it is certainly a full sized weapon. My doubts arose from all of the negative postings on various boards, Including the CZ forum, regarding the real or perceived diffuculty of condealing a full sized gun. I'm here to tell ya it's a tropical breeze.

Here are some of my suggestions for what they're worth. First, you don't need to buy pants 2 sizes larger if you use an IWB holster. Just by the relaxed fit pants. The jeans especially, in relaxed fit, allow plenty of room for an IWB holster. All brands carry the RF sizes now and my latest pair were Levy and cost around $25.00 at Dillards. Now, I don't want to appear to be a snob but I buy most of my clothes at Nordstrom. Here is my typical concealed carry wordrobe along with prices.

1) Tommy Bahama or Nat Nast silk shirt in "relax" style. Any color will do but the dark colors or hawaiian flowered prints conceal better. Worn outside the pants of course, buttoned or worn like a jacket. You will achieve either an Islander look or if so desired, the "Average Guy" look ala Rodney Dangerfield in Easy Money. Shirt $110.00

2) Burma Biba silk T-Shirt. Worn under the Bahama silk shirt and tucked in the pants. This insulates any IWB holster from the skin and keeps the leather and gun absolutely dry. Same with a shoulder holster. Shirt $45.00

3) All of the above work well with shorts so long as you wear a belt.

Now, if you don't shop at Nordstrom, you can achieve the same effect at Wally World. They carry the loose fit stuff and have tables of Bahama and Dangerfield style shirts in other than silk materials. You'll spend much less but the shirts wont wear nearly as well. But they will conceal just as well.

Once I discovered this look my wife has not hesitated to go out bebopping with me when I'm carrying concealed. It works well in warm climates lik we have here in Texas.

If you do go to Nordstrom, let your sales person know that you carry concealed on occassion. She will know just what you are looking for and take you right to it when she sees you come in. While she has you try on stuff and plays the little game of patting you down to see if you are carrying today - your wife can enjoy a makeover in the cosmetics department and all will be right with the world! :anamatedbanana

DParker
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Concealed Carry Full Size Pistol

Post by DParker »

Likewise, I recently received a Minotaur IWB from Comp-Tac for my S&W M&P9 (full size). Very nice holster, and I find that I can also conceal the whole setup pretty effectively via mostly the same techniques and clothing options that you describe. What I'm finding to the be the biggest problem is the weight. Even though the M&P is a polymer gun its still so heavy that it puts enough downward pull on my pants that it becomes something of a hassle when walking. I might have to start wearing suspenders. On the other hand, maybe I just need a smaller, ligher carry piece, making this is a good candidate for the "best reasons to buy a gun" thread.

M9FAN
Posts in topic: 8

Post by M9FAN »

I can also comfortably carry my large-framed Beretta M9, Glock 22, or SA XD 45 IWB. (Via my Comp Tac Minotaur IWB holsters). The key for me is a good Kydex-lined leather belt (which I also purchased from Comp Tac) and a spare magazine or two on the opposite side to help offset the weight of the gun. Other than that, I concur that loose-fitting jeans (or shorts) and button-down shirts are essential in keeping the weapon concealed...
"Upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." - Alexander the Great

DoubleActionCHL

Post by DoubleActionCHL »

I carried a Beretta PX4 using an OWB paddle holster with FBI cant for a year or so with an outer shirt or sport jacket. The cant keeps the butt of the grip from protruding so much. I eventually moved to a Glock 23, same mode of carry but no cant. My work allows me to wear whatever I want, so I can carry OWB with no problems most of the time.

http://www.doubleactionchl.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Houston, Texas

"Excuses are for tombstones. Get back in the fight."
--Me

heliguy972

Post by heliguy972 »

I agree it's do-able with the correct clothing as you pointed out. For me, 70% of the time I'm in shorts w/ soft web belt or swimsuit so no heavy guns. So when I have the right slacks with my horsehide gun belt I forget to pack the P 14-45 and by habit put on the G27.

CompVest
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CompVest »

I am 5' and 110 lbs. I carried our full sized M&P45 in an outside the waistband holster all afternoon around Old Town Spring with no issues. It is all in the holster placement.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

fm2
Posts in topic: 4

Post by fm2 »

Good for you, to find a way to make it work !!!!!!
My doubts arose from all of the negative postings on various boards, Including the CZ forum, regarding the real or perceived diffuculty of condealing a full sized gun. I'm here to tell ya it's a tropical breeze.
Yep, people like to talk more than do. It's not as difficult as people make it out to be.
“It is the belief that violence is an aberration that is dangerous because it lulls us into forgetting how easily violence may erupt in quiescent places.” S. Pinker

Wildscar
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Wildscar »

fm2 wrote:Good for you, to find a way to make it work !!!!!!
My doubts arose from all of the negative postings on various boards, Including the CZ forum, regarding the real or perceived diffuculty of condealing a full sized gun. I'm here to tell ya it's a tropical breeze.
Yep, people like to talk more than do. It's not as difficult as people make it out to be.
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
My sig has a link to my MTAC review. Full size can be done and the more I do it I find easier ways to do it. I can even get away with cargo shorts and a tank top while carrying the Beretta 92FS and double mag pouch. They dont get much bigger than that. You just have to find what works for you.
Wildscar
"Far Better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt 1899
Beretta 92FS
Holster Review Resource
Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!

pedalman

Post by pedalman »

I can wear my full-size Glock 22 concealed and my wife can't even tell.

austin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by austin »

I put my XD 45 in my waistband and a shirt over it. I can carry just about anything this way.

dukalmighty

Post by dukalmighty »

I carried a full size SA 1911 45 acp in IWB crossbreed holster into my gun dealers house and until I showed him my holster he didn't even know I was carrying,I was wearing cargo shorts and a T-shirt
It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end-to-end, someone would be stupid enough to try to pass them

ELB

Post by ELB »

Put me in the "Me too!" category. I carry an FN Hi Power in a Comp-Tac C-TAC IWB holster, have for a couple years now, works out well. I can wear it with a shirt tucked in over it, and it hides very nicely.
USAF 1982-2005

NcongruNt
Posts in topic: 8

Post by NcongruNt »

I'll chime in here as well. I also carry a Hi-Power, but OWB. My setup is similar to yours, with jeans or work pants, t-shirt or 5.11 Holster Shirt (with my LCP as a BUG in it when I wear it, otherwise pocket carried), and a work shirt as cover. My holster is a Galco Combat Master.

Here's a few pics:

I've been carrying this way for over a year, and it has worked well for me. Kudos to longtooth for teaching me this carry method.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

longtooth
Posts in topic: 5

Post by longtooth »

Thank you sir. Glad to help. :tiphat:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Wildscar
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Wildscar »

NcongruNt wrote:I've been carrying this way for over a year, and it has worked well for me. Kudos to longtooth for teaching me this carry method.
Same here. I remember looking at these and Longtooths pics. That what gave me the idea and it has worked good for me too. Here is my image
Wildscar
"Far Better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt 1899
Beretta 92FS
Holster Review Resource
Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”