Glock 27?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
HOSSISFREE
Posts in topic: 2

Glock 27?

Post by HOSSISFREE »

I'm considering getting a Glock 27. What are your experiences with shooting and concealing such a weapon. I know Glock has agreat reputation, but I have never owned one, or even shot one. I suppose I'm looking for Pros and Cons. Any recommendations either way?

I ask because this forum seems to have a divererse group of folks with a collective, vast experience. Before buying something of such importance, I like to do research. This is the best place I have found for such and endeavor. I appreciate any input.
..." it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness." ~ Declaration of Independence!

HighVelocity
Posts in topic: 1

Post by HighVelocity »

I had one and carried it for a while. It was reliable and accurate. Typical Glock.
What I didn't care for is the snappy behavior of the 40 cal in such a small gun. The 26 (9mm) is otherwise the same gun but much milder to shoot.
I don't know specific differences but I imagine with such a short barrel that the ballistic performance difference is little if any.
(Speer 124gr +P gold dot in a 9mm compared to 165gr 40 Gold Dot.)

Of course, if you already have a 22 or 23 then it's a no brainer to get the 27. You can share mags, leather, etc.

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

First off, I'd suggest shooting at least one Glock. People seem to love 'em or hate 'em. If you have been shooting something else very much, it may take at least a box of ammo to get acclimated to Glock trigger.

If concealability is a primary concern, yea, the size of the 27 is about as small as they get - but it's still a brick (to me anyway). Lots of folks who get the 27 wind up feeling need for a pinkie extension of some sort - which gets the grip up close to the height of the Model 23.

I had a 23 for around 7 years right after they came out in 1990, but swapped it in on a new Kahr - less capacity, but much flatter.

Biggest question ya might want to ask yourself is " What am I going to be primarily using this for? " Then go see if you can shoot at least one Glock of comparable size and caliber. (The .40 is pretty "snappy" in the 27.)
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Greybeard wrote:Biggest question ya might want to ask yourself is " What am I going to be primarily using this for? " Then go see if you can shoot at least one Glock of comparable size and caliber. (The .40 is pretty "snappy" in the 27.)
You betcha, +1...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

HOSSISFREE

If you're in my part of Texas, you can try my wife's G-27. She carried it for 2 or 3 years, then went to a Sig 239, then to a Kimber Ultra Carry she still carries daily.

The recoil of the G-27 is stout, with reasonable defensive loads.

Regards,
Chas.

Reysc

Post by Reysc »

I too was thinking of getting a G27 but after getting the feedbacks about how the 40 cal. handles in subcompact, I opted to go for the G26 and just loved it. BTW, I tried both guns before I made the decision. I can handle the G27 but I am loving the way the G26 handles!! That's me though, go try both guns....Good Luck and have fun!!

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

Your local XD fan checking in:
If you like the G26, try the XD-9 Subcompact. They are practically the same gun, with the addition of a chamber-loaded indicator, "cocking" indicator, and a 1911-style grip safety. It might also be cheaper and easier to shoot if you've never shot a Glock before.

The G26 in 9mm is a wonderful gun, though. I'm not a big fan of .40 in small frames.

EDIT: there's also XD's in .40 and .357, as well in that size.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

TraCoun

G-27

Post by TraCoun »

I have a G 27 and love it. As mentioned, the grip is a bit short. You can get replacement butt plates, some are just extensions and some have +1 or + 2 capacities :smile:

I tried using it in IDPA when I started it, and quickly found myself at a disadvantage over the distances normally shot in the stages. Being honest, that may have had more to do with my lack of skill :oops: than the length, but the extensions have helped me a lot.

As far as carry, when you evaluate it, think about the likely distances you would be shooting. :headscratch

Also, the Glock people made the magazines for the larger models fit the smaller ones. I have 2 mags for the . 40 full size (can't remember the model no.) in my mag pouch when I carry this one. That gives me a regular 27 mag with a + 1 extension, then two full size mags in reserve.

:iagree: Recoil on the G27 is, as mentioned, noticeable, but not punishing.

TraCoun

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

I ended up with a G26 and wont leave home without it! I shot a 27 and did not care for the recoil. If you are in the Houston area...please feel free to come down and shoot my 9mm! Take care.
Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

ghentry

Post by ghentry »

+1 for the G26. I carry it daily. It's easy to conceal, shoots great and has not failed yet.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

If you are near PSC, let me know. I'll meet you at PSC and you can try mine. You buy the ammo and shoot all you want.

OverEasy

Post by OverEasy »

HOSSISFREE,

+1 on the shoot one before you buy it. I noticed your HK logo, how about a P2000 or a P2000SK?

Weight is your friend when shooting 40 S&W, 357SIG etc. My wife didn't like the G27 or the G23. But she shoots the heck out of a SIG P239/40S&W. It's a single stack gun, flatter than a Glock and relatively easy to conceal and the extra weight tames the recoil.

I carry a Glock 33 (sub compact 357SIG), put a G27 barrel in it and you have a G27. I can shoot it well but not for a long time. It is light to carry and easy to conceal.

I have an aftermarket 9mm conversion barrel for the G33 that is range only because it has FTF and FTE problems. I have a G27 barrel also that is 100%.
I practice with 9mm (cheap!) carry with the 357SIG.

That is one advantage to a G27 or G33, you can have a 3 caliber gun by changing barrels.

You can not convert a G26 (9mm) to shoot 40S&W or 357SIG.

You can do the same with a SIG P239/40-357. And the P239/9mm cannot be converted to 40S&W/357SIG.

Just more info to make your decision harder, OE
NRA
TSRA
JPFO
American Legion
USN (69-77)
What did you expect?

Topic author
HOSSISFREE
Posts in topic: 2

Post by HOSSISFREE »

Wow! So much info. Thanx folks! Sounds like I might want to switch to the G26. I am looking for a concealment weapon smaller than my H&K USP .45 . I was thinking .40 because I'm used to the .45 . I suppose going smaller to reduce recoil is a great idea. I used to have a Kahr .40 and kicked a bit more than my H&K.

nitrogen the XD fan, I took a look at an XD in Shooter's Station this afternoon. I was impressed with the feel and size. I like the idea of the 1911-style grip safety too. I may need to consider it now too.

OverEasy While I have a H&K USP and love it, The P2000 would be my first choice. The problem is price. It's the same with the Sig. I need to find something more affordable. Wish I could though. That's interesting about the interchangeability of the Glock barrels. Wasn't aware of that.

No time to respond to everyone personally, but thanks again to all.
..." it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness." ~ Declaration of Independence!

Milorider

Post by Milorider »

Can't help you out with Info. on the 27, but I've owned a 26 for about two years now. And very pleased with this glock, hope you find the one your looking for. Like others here have said, shoot'em first and then decide from that point on what you like and feel most comfortable with.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”