Jim Pruett Gun Ad: Buy Cheap, Bury Deep!

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
RugerP345
Posts in topic: 1

Jim Pruett Gun Ad: Buy Cheap, Bury Deep!

Post by RugerP345 »

http://www.click2houston.com/news/16417710/detail.html

Gun Ad: 'Buy Cheap, Bury Deep'
By Ryan Korsgard

POSTED: 4:29 pm CDT May 28, 2008
UPDATED: 5:40 pm CDT May 28, 2008

HOUSTON -- A new, controversial gun store ad has some Houstonians wondering about the real meaning behind, "Buy them cheap. Bury them deep," KPRC Local 2 reported Wednesday.

The radio ad also says, "This is Jim Pruett calling from federal prison. Well, not yet."

The ad is for Jim Pruett's Guns and Ammo in northwest Harris County.
It then carries a political message, "Come this November, many could be incarcerated if a bunch of naive voters elect misguided, anti-gun politicians to office."

But one line stands out. It says, "Jim Pruett's guns and ammo, where we say 'Buy them cheap. Bury them deep.'"

But some are asking, "Bury who deep?"

Owner Jim Pruett said, "We certainly don't mean -- buy your guns, shoot the criminals and bury them deep. Not in your back yard. No, that's not the intent of that. But it's a fun thing to think about."

Pruett said he meant customers should buy guns now and stash them away in case Texans cannot buy them later because politicians prohibit the sale.

It's not the first time the former radio personality and Vietnam veteran has captured attention. One of his radio ads urged Houstonians to arm themselves against Hurricane Katrina evacuees. He called them "Katricians."

Pruett said, "I try to use my radio time to say something important."

But, Andy Kahan, the crime victim's advocate for Houston's mayor, said of the gun ad, "It's just sad that we have to live in a society where you think that you have to have a firearm just to keep you and your family safe."

Pruett said his gun training classes remain at full capacity. He said they have successfully trained more than 5,000 people over the past seven years.
Ignorance and obscurantism have never produced anything other than flocks of slaves for tyranny. ~ Emiliano Zapata in a Letter to Pancho Villa

nedmoore

Re: Jim Pruett Gun Ad: Buy Cheap, Bury Deep!

Post by nedmoore »

More power to him! When I was younger I used to to listen to the Stevens and Pruett morning show on KLOL, now that I am older it is A.M. radio, I am really getting that old?

fm2

Post by fm2 »

Good on him!
One of his radio ads urged Houstonians to arm themselves against Hurricane Katrina evacuees. He called them "Katricians."
This is an incorrect definition for "Katricians".
“It is the belief that violence is an aberration that is dangerous because it lulls us into forgetting how easily violence may erupt in quiescent places.” S. Pinker

dukalmighty

Post by dukalmighty »

Now that there is funny buy them cheap bury them deep, gasp you mean the criminals
It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end-to-end, someone would be stupid enough to try to pass them

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

But, Andy Kahan, the crime victim's advocate for Houston's mayor, said of the gun ad, "It's just sad that we have to live in a society where you think that you have to have a firearm just to keep you and your family safe."
It's sad his boss' policies contribute to increased crime. It's sad repeat offenders are running free, victimizing good people. .
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Skiprr »

Jim does have a knack for gettin' some free publicity. ;-) Another guy who knows him told me this evening that KPRC filmed at his store for the segment, and that he got a pretty long piece at 5:00, and a slightly shorter one at 6:00.

More bidness to him, I say.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

legend

Post by legend »

I remember listening to Walton & Johnson once, and Jim Pruett came on and was discussing his CHL class. He called the people who took his class either "weekend mercenaries" or "weekend warriors". I don't remember which....

ProudNativeTexican
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ProudNativeTexican »

I miss Jim not being on the radio. I am going to have to get up to his shop one of these days. Maybe the next time I have a Friday afternoon.
ML
"Act your wage" (Dave Ramsey)

CHL Class-2/16-17/08
Paperwork submitted-2/22/08
Application received by DPS-2/25/08
PIN received - 4/17/08
Processing application - 4/18/08
Application Completed - license issued or certificate active - 5/7/8
Received Plastic - 5/10/08

M9FAN

Post by M9FAN »

boomerang wrote:
It's sad his boss' policies contribute to increased crime. It's sad repeat offenders are running free, victimizing good people. .
Amen to that!
"Upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." - Alexander the Great

G.C.Montgomery

Post by G.C.Montgomery »

When I heard that ad, I actually thought of the French and historical references throughout WW2 of people caching arms underground so the Nazi's wouldn't find them. But, I’m a gun guy who happens to make a living maintaining network infrastructure and planning for the worst possible scenarios. Obviously, the sheep, not being gun owners or otherwise smart enough to know a gun grabber when they see one, immediately thought “bury them deep� meant burying DRT suspects in an effort to hide evidence.
When you take the time out of your day to beat someone, it has a much longer lasting effect on their demeanor than simply shooting or tazing them.

G. C. Montgomery, Jr.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

boomerang wrote:
It's sad that Kahan thinks that keeping your family safe is unreasonable.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

White is in his last term as Mayor of Houston and he plans to run for the U.S. Senate or possibly for Texas Governor. This is Mayor White's guy, so remember this along statement, along with White's membership in NYC Mayor Bloomberg's bogus, not-so-veiled anti-gun organization, Mayors Against Illegal Guns.

Chas.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I don't believe Jim is being alarmist here. Sadly, Buy cheap and bury deep sounds to be good advice for what we are facing.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

BigDan
Posts in topic: 3

Post by BigDan »

I took my CHL class from his son (who actually works for DPS). The class is about 6 suites down from his store and he sat in on the class and helped at the range. These are a great group of people and Jim is a RIOT!

When I read the slogan, I knew it referred to the guns, not the BG's. It's a twist on the old big box store way of thinking (Buy 'em cheap, stack 'em deep). ;-]
Last edited by BigDan on Thu May 29, 2008 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." - Fr. TX Rep. Suzanna Hupp
!حان أن أحصل على بعض

lunchbox
Posts in topic: 4

Post by lunchbox »

you know if gun owners were as bad as they would like to make us out to be wouldnt we have just killed all those dems that want to take our guns away
but no we try to play nice and play their game but there just doesnt seem to be any reasoning with those people :rules: if they just look at the numbers they would see but they are blind :coolgleamA: and senceless
"I have two guns. One for each of ya" Doc Holiday
"Out here, due process is a bullet."
"Why Johnny Ringo, you look like somebody just walked over your grave."
"forgiveness is between them and god its my job to arrange the meeting" man on fire

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”