I am just shocked...

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Charger
Posts in topic: 2

I am just shocked...

Post by Charger »

...well, ok, surprised more like it. I just took my CHL class this weekend and found this site yesterday. I read through all 34 pages of the "what you carry" thread...and I am really surprised by how many folks are carrying big, long handguns! I've had guns for almost 20yrs, but never had the opportunity to carry (California :grumble ) so I've never thought too hard about the logistics involved. Prior to yesterday, I was thinking that trying to carry my Glock 21 would be out of the question...but looking through that thread I guess it isnt.

So, for those of you carrying full size or almost full size IWB...what happens when you sit? What about driving and the seatbelt?

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: I am just shocked...

Post by Keith B »

Welcome Charger.

I carry a small compact 9, so can't really help you, but there are plenty of folks that will provide their input shortly.

Enjoy the forum!!
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Wildscar

Post by Wildscar »

Charger wrote:So, for those of you carrying full size or almost full size IWB...what happens when you sit? What about driving and the seatbelt?
Click my MTAC review link in my sig line. Should be al the info you need. They dont get much bigger then a Beretta 92FS :thumbs2: :fire
Wildscar
"Far Better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt 1899
Beretta 92FS
Holster Review Resource
Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Wildscar wrote:
Charger wrote:So, for those of you carrying full size or almost full size IWB...what happens when you sit? What about driving and the seatbelt?
Click my MTAC review link in my sig line. Should be al the info you need. They dont get much bigger then a Beretta 92FS :thumbs2: :fire
Wildscar is right. There are not many carry guns that are bigger than a 92. There are several folks that carry them. There are a lot that carry full size 1911s. No deal sitting, driving, or up & down. Most of the time I carry a Kimber Pro which has a full size grip w/ a 4" barrel.
I pastor a church (several preachers on the board by the way) so all of the above are a part of my daily routeen.
With quality gear you do not have to worry about comfort or concealability.
The MTAC is a good holster. There are several reviews on the board of quality holsters & also a sticky on quality holster makers.
Welcome aboard & we are glad to have you. Good that you are out of Cal.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

propellerhead

Post by propellerhead »

I never carried a full size pistol but I would think those that do have larger bodies as well. Proportionally, a 4" 1911 on a 300 lb person could be just like a 3" Glock to a 140 lb person.

SC1903A3

Post by SC1903A3 »

Carrying isn't a problem unless you like wearing your pants gangsta style where everybody can see your underwear.

shootthesheet

Post by shootthesheet »

Welcome :thumbs2:

Like was said, it is the belt and holster of whatever holster type used. It is not easy to conceal a Glock 21 without a untucked and oversized t-shirt and/or button down shirt. The options of smart carry type holsters help many people but I just don't like that method. The truth is, I don't carry a large gun in summer unless I feel I need it. It is not hard to conceal but is hard to look neat or stay cool from the heat. The heat makes me want to wear thin, cool clothing when I can. So, I have been carrying my Glock 30 or my P3AT IWB. I prefer the full size guns because of the better accuracy.

The length of a full size gun is among the easiest things to conceal with a decent holster. It is the grip that is trouble. Fortunately, this CCW movement has come on the heals of a personal electronics boom. Everyone has something strapped to their belt or immediately associate a bulge or black object around the waist as just another device.

Carrying and owning guns are different things. You have the opportunity to explore the wonderful world of concealment holster and clothing selection that most all of us have to endure. I have reached the conclusion that there is no perfect way to carry. It is either not neat, hot, uncomfortable, or I just really don't trust the caliber of gun I have to carry to do the job (I am a .4X caliber guy). I sweat easily and over garments aren’t good. Anyway, winter is great for full size guns but summer, not so much. I have done it and prefer larger guns but not when I have to wear clothing that is something other than casual. If I am inside an air conditioned office with a jacket then I am fine. Problem is, I am almost never inside for long.
http://gunrightsradio.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

I carry a glock 23 in an m-tac and love it. For the times the m-tac won't work I have a smart carry. It may not be cool but it is a great concealment holster. For me those are the best two holsters and meet all of my carry needs. I'm saving up for a kimber ultra carry. For some reason my wife thinks diapers and baby wipes take priority over a Kimber...well i still love her. LOL

Pharvey

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

I carry a Commander size Kimber IWB and OWB. Seat belts do kinda get in the way in my 05 Mustang but dont in my truck. Sitting I sometimes have to cant the grip forward some to get the beaver tail outa the skin in my side but it isnt a big deal. I have carried some of my full sizers in 1911 and no difference at all to me. Now if i packed my HK 45 fullsize it would be a bear.

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

5" 1911 in a Milt Sparks Versamax II or a Summer Special II. No problems with seatbelt interference or knocking the guns butt against the dining chair. :mrgreen:
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I'm 5'9", 165 pounds and I carry either a Colt Commander 4 1/4" barrel, or a Govt Model 5" gun in several different Comp-Tac IWB and OWB holsters. It's never a problem sitting or driving. How the seatbelt is set up in any given vehicle will have a effect on how easy it is to draw.

Chas.

dukalmighty

Post by dukalmighty »

I carry either 4" or 5" firearms i carry my 1911's in a crossbreed IWB it has a leather back that shields the gun from skin contact and f you carryabout 3:30 the muzzle wont dig into your hip when seating,it's a matter of finding the right equipment for the job at hand,you wouldnt try to loosen a lug nut with a shotgun would you? :lol:
It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end-to-end, someone would be stupid enough to try to pass them

thejtrain

Post by thejtrain »

Great discussion, especially for those of us with non-pocket-pistols who haven't decided on a carry method yet!

I'm in almost exactly the same situation as Charger the OP: escaped from Kalifornia, just took my class on Saturday, and own a more-or-less full-size Glock (mine's the 30, not exactly huge, but not exactly a P3AT either). My instructor demonstrated how he carries (high-riding belly-band under the shirt) and that looked awful tempting, but I've also been looking at this Crossbreed SuperTuck as well as the Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC that's been reviewed here (those two are very similar IWB models). The belly band is only $25 and the Crossbreed has a no-questions-asked guarantee, so I might just try both and see which I like better.

I also had another thought that was brought back by Chas above, and that is this: for those of you who do under-a-tucked-shirt carry, do you leave it where it is when you get in your car/truck, or do you pull it out, stash it in a better/more accessible location for the drive, then put in back on and re-tuck when you arrive and get out of your vehicle?

JT
5 Feb 2008 - completed online application
1 March 2008 - completed CHL course
5 March 2008 - package delivery @ DPS
28 March 2008 - Day 23, "Processing Application"
12 June 2008 - Day 99, "Application Completed" :thumbs2:
20 June 2008 - Day 107, plastic in hand :txflag:

wild child

Post by wild child »

sig 239 .40,
rightside,
inside belt, outside pants,
holster clip on belt.
those belly bands are itchy and hot on me.
i have one i'll sell ya cheep.

and those paddle holster's sorta rub on my skin too much,
and keep the gun kinda top heavy to me.

j

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

Belly bands are comfortable during the cooler times of the year, but then there are better modes when it's cool enough to wear a cover garment.

This won't apply to many, but if you happen to be 'pear' shaped, the belly band tends to ride upward.

It never hurts to have one for the occasional use, but I wouldn't rely on one for everyday use.
thejtrain wrote:I also had another thought that was brought back by Chas above, and that is this: for those of you who do under-a-tucked-shirt carry, do you leave it where it is when you get in your car/truck, or do you pull it out, stash it in a better/more accessible location for the drive, then put in back on and re-tuck when you arrive and get out of your vehicle?
Using a tuckable holster requires that 3rd hand that I'm still trying to grow. Seriously, it's easy enough to do in private, but not something you'd want to attempt sitting in your car. The difficulty increases with the weight of the pistol and whether you have spare ammuntion on the weak side. It's hard to hold everything up while tucking the shirt tail between the holster and belt. I've been using a tuckable since 1998, at a time when no one offered them. It was made by Derry Gallagher in South Texas. I've since bought a Versa Max II and a half dozen tuckables from Tucker. It works very well once you get the knack. BTW, the Crossbreed SuperTuck appears to be a copy of Tuckers Answer. http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/answeriwbs.html But with Tucker's long lead times, I can certainly understand someone opting for the Crossbreed.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”