a move to a 1911?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Skipper5
Posts in topic: 7

a move to a 1911?

Post by Skipper5 »

A SIG stalwart at heart...can he really be thinking of a EMP or Kimber (don't know which model the sub-compact/compact) for future carry??

BigTown tomorrow...ideas from my fellow TXCHL friends....oh my...look out even Diode might get in this act...after I said no to 1911s much earlier!! Ha
//John
TX CHL Holder
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member - Yes to Castle Doctrine! Success!!

Topic author
Skipper5
Posts in topic: 7

Re: a move to a 1911?

Post by Skipper5 »

Any thoughts...? Appreciate any input....//John
TX CHL Holder
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member - Yes to Castle Doctrine! Success!!

Texasdoc
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Texasdoc »

I have been carrying a Kimber Pro-carry2 for over a year now and its one of the best guns I have carried, its lite for a all day carry and its easy to conceal. Plus with it being 45 I don't worry about not having enough gun for protection of myself.

I carry it OWB and with a UnTucked shirt its concealed .

I say go with a Kimber Pro series and never look back.

Doc
Shoot more,then Reload and Shoot somemore. Image

http://www.texasguntalk.com

extremist

Post by extremist »

Thoughts?

My wife used to carry a Sig P239 9mm. Now she carries a Springfield EMP. ;-)

I used to have Sigs, including Sig P220, P239 .40/357, and Sig P225. They are all gone now.

I have "several" new 1911s, including my own EMP. :cool:

Once you have shot a good 1911, most other pistols pale in comparison.

Once you handle and shoot an EMP, it will be love at first "bang".

Let the flames begin "rlol"

Regards,
James
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

ScubaSigGuy

Post by ScubaSigGuy »

extremist wrote:Thoughts?

Once you have shot a good 1911, most other pistols pale in comparison.

Once you handle and shoot an EMP, it will be love at first "bang".
:iagree: On both counts.

My EMP is never leaving my possession.
S.S.G.

"A champion doesn’t become a champion in the ring. He is merely recognized in the ring.The ‘becoming’ happens during his daily routine." Joe Louis

NRA MEMBER

TexaNurse

Post by TexaNurse »

I used to carry SIG P229. Traded my HK for a Springfield 1911. Now the SIG is the safe, just sitting, and the holster is starting to collect dust. I then bought a compact 1911, never been more happy.

73Driver

Post by 73Driver »

I started out carrying a P229, then transitioned to Colt Combat Commander and recently converted to a Colt Gunsite CCO when I started carrying 24/7. The overall design of the 1911 is a genius of mechanical engineering and understanding of enertia and reaction. The multiple safeties are great, unless you drop the weapon on the barrel from about 12 feet (so don't drop it if you are using it to nail shingles on the roof :lol: ) I have 3 1911s that I use as competition weapons and they are tighter tollerances than my carry weapon and therefore have had the occasional FTRB or FTE, however the CCO has been 100% from the outset using JHP. I think if you try a 1911, you will be impressed by the function and the ability to put a hole just where you want it.
Blind dumb luck beats skill and cunning two out of three times.

dukalmighty

Post by dukalmighty »

I carry a RIA 1911 compact,I am impressd with the accuracy from a rest at 15 yards i can shoot a jagged hole,I ove th trigger on the 1911,no long DA pull or creep and as far as a manual safety I practice taking it off not only when shooting but with an unloaded weapon when i do my queeeksdraw
It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end-to-end, someone would be stupid enough to try to pass them

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Skipper5, you can have the best of both worlds, if you want. I own a Sig 1911 GSR Stainless Carry, and it's a very nice pistol, with a full array of features. If you buy a Certified Pre-Owned gun, refurbished at the factory, like I did, you can expect to pay around $699.

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

austin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by austin »

There are problems with the 1911 that made me put mine away and carry an XD45.

First, the thumb safety slows down my time to first shot by .2 seconds and in a few cases during FOF and dry fire I bobbled the safety.

Second, with only 8+1 rounds, thats a lot less than the 13+1 of an XD before I have to reload.

Third, I carry AIWB with no holster most of the time and the XD is more comfortable than the 1911 and when I go to draw, its easy to get a good grip without worrying about the thumb safety. The same goes for the rare time I am OWB.

For these reasons, I decided that my 1911 could get me killed more often than my XD so I put it away.

I do have a kimber UCII that I carry in my pocket sometimes. It has a F2F sometimes. I also have an older Kimber Custom that is a dream to shoot at targets with, but that is it.

In a real fight you will want to move and shoot. Its not going to be target practice. The gun should go bang every time. You should have a lot of bullets in the gun because you will miss some and do not want to run out of them and have to take the time to reload. Your draw should work every time regardless of how you are oriented. The gun should work if your grip is not perfect and you should not have a safety that you bobble.

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

Perfect practice, perfect practice, perfect practice.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

G.C.Montgomery

Post by G.C.Montgomery »

Have to agree with CompVest...I ran 1911's for most of my early shooting career. Perfect practice and lots of it will make the difference.

The grip safety or thumb safety of the 1911 were never a problem for me. But, I spent a lot of time training on the 1911. So much so that operating the thumb-safety and getting a proper grip are "lizard brain" activities. IMHO, running the gun itself should be a lizard brain activity. If you have to think about how to reduce a stoppage, you've got a problem.

In a gunfight, the only thing you should have to consciously process is OODA loop you are running against threats, non-threats and the environment around you. Taking the time to think about your gun is time you don’t have. Bobbles of any kind should simply call up an automatic subroutine that you should be able to process without conscious thought.
When you take the time out of your day to beat someone, it has a much longer lasting effect on their demeanor than simply shooting or tazing them.

G. C. Montgomery, Jr.

USMC-COL
Posts in topic: 5

Post by USMC-COL »

Skipper5 wrote:A SIG stalwart at heart...can he really be thinking of a EMP or Kimber (don't know which model the sub-compact/compact) for future carry??

BigTown tomorrow...ideas from my fellow TXCHL friends....oh my...look out even Diode might get in this act...after I said no to 1911s much earlier!! Ha
//John
Have you considered a GLOCK 30. I know that for many 1911 afficionados that's heresy. I have been a 1911 afficionado for over 40 years, but carry a GLOCK daily. The G30 is an extremely reliable, surprisingly accurate, soft shooting 45 ACP that is small and light enough for all-day carry and has sufficient capacity at 10+1 ... with a back-up 13-round mag.
Respectfully and Semper Fi,
F. Phil Torres
Colonel of Marines, Retired
Independent Security Contractor
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
Unarmed Combat Instructor
NRA Life Member

Tactical_Texan_CHL

Post by Tactical_Texan_CHL »

Wow, I've noticed quite a few of us carrying the G30 lately. Definitely a good choice. But since you're considering going to the 1911, I guess we're getting of your topic. In my opinion, it's pretty tough to go wrong with any of the major 1911 makes, and the majority of them seem to be producing smaller, more easily concealable models. My brother's off duty carry is a Para 6.45 LDA in stainless with cocabolo grips. It's an absolutely beautiful gun, and once he found the ammo it likes, he's had no trouble. It absolutely DOES NOT like anything 230 grains. With 185's or 200's it's accurate and reliable. I love my full size 1911, and I've considered trying the Kimber RCP. I'm just not sure about the sighting "trench" instead of traditional sights. As far as the mechanics of it, like others have said, just train with it and practice like crazy. It's like learning to drive in a standard. Even if you eventually get a car with an automatic, you'll find yourself reaching for the clutch and the shifter on occasion. The same thing applies with the 1911. Once you practice enough, it becomes second nature, and you start to "flip the safety" even on guns that don't have one! Good luck. I hope you find one you can trial shoot first.
TacTex
NRA Life Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”