Springfield TRP

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
AFJailor
Posts in topic: 4

Springfield TRP

Post by AFJailor »

I have been shopping around for a really nice 1911 to buy in a few months and the Springfield TRP is at the top of my list. I got to handle this weapon at our local gunstore ...the checkering pretty much ripped my hand to shreds, not to mention the adustiable night sights were razor sharp. Is there a way to make this weapon a little less...jagged? I mean i know you could file down the edges and whatnot but I would really rather not have to re-do the finish. Am I just being picky or would those types of things bother you guys?
USAF
SSgt, Combat Arms
NRA Member
ND CCL Holder
"I've got a firm policy on gun control. If there's a gun around, I want to be the one controlling it." -Clint Eastwood
Μολών λαβέ!
Sadly I lost all my guns in a boating accident in the Gulf of Mexico :(

CJATE
Posts in topic: 1

Post by CJATE »

I am doing similar research, but have not yet purchased, so this is not first hand.

I was told to press/rub the back of an old spoon on the front strap to tone it down. I really like the feel of the checkering, but your right, they seem sharp.

I hope to find a used TRP

Topic author
AFJailor

Post by AFJailor »

Yea it might of changed my mind too, I would like for my
$1800 MSRP firearm to NOT make me bleed.
USAF
SSgt, Combat Arms
NRA Member
ND CCL Holder
"I've got a firm policy on gun control. If there's a gun around, I want to be the one controlling it." -Clint Eastwood
Μολών λαβέ!

KinnyLee
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KinnyLee »

Whoa! Have they gone up that much? $1800? Is that for an operator? I think only the operator comes with adjustable sights

Anyway, The Tactical Response Pistols (TRP) are model after the Springfield Professional with differences in the amount of hand fitting, parts used, and the difference in finish (Amory Kote vs. Birdsong's Black-T)
The 20 lpi front checkering can be a bit sharp because they were made for operators using gloves. However, I shot it enough that I've got use to it.

A good alternative that you might want to check out is Kimber Warrior. There is no front checkering, and the night sights aren't adjustable.

Topic author
AFJailor

Post by AFJailor »

Yea top of my list is the TRP, Kimber Warrior, Kimber gold combat and I've been looking a lot at the les Baer Concept II, but only if I can find it for the right price ($1200-$1300ish)

In all likeliness I will go with the Warrior because it's the cheapest, the only thing I dont like about it is the rail, but I guess I'm willing to look over that.
USAF
SSgt, Combat Arms
NRA Member
ND CCL Holder
Μολών λαβέ!

KinnyLee

Post by KinnyLee »

Not to throw another one to the list, but if you're going to spend that kind of money, you may also want to lookat Rock River Arms Basic Carry as well. MSRP at $1600, and you can order one with 20, 25, or 30 lpi front checkerings.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-detai ... ge=pbc.gif

RRA makes some great stuff IMO.

badkarma56

Post by badkarma56 »

Might I make a recommendation...check out the Springfield Armory MC Operator (I don't own a digital camera, but look here http://www.springfield-armory.com/ for a sample pic). After my recent great experiences with the EMP, I decided that I had to try a full-size 1911 in .45 ACP! I quickly settled on Springfield as the manufacturer due to their outstanding reputation for customer service, the high quality of my EMP (just over 700 rounds down-range with 0 malfunctions), and the lifetime warranty that comes standard with their weapons.

After going through a similar thought process, I settled on the MC Operator. At around $1,000, it's considerably cheaper than the any of the TRP models but with many of the same features/worksmanship, and a few unique ones (the wraparound combat grips and it's awesome two-tone black/o.d. finish). Like the EMP, I fell in love at first sight when I saw her! ;-)

I'll be posting a range report once I get a chance to fire this beauty for the first time!
Online CHL App Completed: 25JUN07
CHL App Packet Received from DPS: 29JUN07
CHL Class: 7JUL07
CHL App Sent to DPS: 9JUL07
DPS Received CHL App: 12JUL07
DPS "Processing App": 25JUL07
DPS "App Completed": 15AUG07
CHL In-Hand: 17AUG07

Topic author
AFJailor

Post by AFJailor »

The MC Operator has crossed my mind, but I think I like the Warrior over the Operator. I have never fired the Operator but I have fired a desert warrior and the trigger and feel of the gun is just sweet.
USAF
SSgt, Combat Arms
NRA Member
ND CCL Holder
Μολών λαβέ!

badkarma56

Post by badkarma56 »

AFJailor wrote:The MC Operator has crossed my mind, but I think I like the Warrior over the Operator. I have never fired the Operator but I have fired a desert warrior and the trigger and feel of the gun is just sweet.
The Kimber Desert Warrior/Warrior model appears to be a fine weapon too; truthfully, you probably can't go wrong either way.
Online CHL App Completed: 25JUN07
CHL App Packet Received from DPS: 29JUN07
CHL Class: 7JUL07
CHL App Sent to DPS: 9JUL07
DPS Received CHL App: 12JUL07
DPS "Processing App": 25JUL07
DPS "App Completed": 15AUG07
CHL In-Hand: 17AUG07

HankB
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Springfield TRP

Post by HankB »

AFJailor wrote: . . . the Springfield TRP is at the top of my list. I got to handle this weapon at our local gunstore ...the checkering pretty much ripped my hand to shreds, not to mention the adustiable night sights were razor sharp. . . .
Common problem. Some years ago I took a two-day pistol class, burning up over 1000 rounds over a weekend. By the morning of the second day, every shooter using a Springfield or Wilson Combat pistol had tape & band-aids all over their hands.

Every one!

What feels OK for a box or two of ammo can be abusive over several hundred rounds . . . and if it feels bad even in the store . . . :shock:
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”