My new CCW

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
quicksaveme
Posts in topic: 3

My new CCW

Post by quicksaveme »

Hey guys, I'm 21 and I received my CHL in October. I never really started carring unti now. I bought a Glock 27 specifically for CCW because I am a smaller (5'10" - 165lbs) guy and my XD is too big for me to conceal well.

I didn't like the Glock after all so I traded it in along with an old Colt 1991A1 I had and got me a new Para Slim Hawg in .45acp. I love it so far, although I haven't had the chance to shoot it. I plan on taking it to the range tomorrow, but in terms of conceilability it is a fine choice in my eyes.

Here it is, as well as my carry rig, just a simple IWB holster, I forgot the name. I carry it at 4 o'clock.

Sorry for the bad lighting.

Image[/img]

txlouie
Posts in topic: 1

Post by txlouie »

NICE! :thumbsup:

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

Good choices there!
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

kauboy

Post by kauboy »

That's a hot little .45!

Get that thing to the range pronto and perforate some paper! :grin:
"People should not be afraid of their Governments.
Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

kauboy wrote:That's a hot little .45!

Get that thing to the range pronto and perforate some paper! :grin:
Kauboy says it all.
If you are not recoil sensitive there will be no deal in shooting it.
If you have not shot anything that light & small in .45 ACP good grip is essential. No limp wrist.
I think a good choice too.
Let us hear a range report this afternoon.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

Have you started carrying it yet?

I hope if you are you will consider stopping until you have a chance to shoot it. I know it is expensive to do so, but I suggest running a box of your carry ammo thru the gun prior to strapping it on for carry.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Xander

Post by Xander »

txinvestigator wrote:Have you started carrying it yet?

I hope if you are you will consider stopping until you have a chance to shoot it. I know it is expensive to do so, but I suggest running a box of your carry ammo thru the gun prior to strapping it on for carry.
:iagree:

Also, in that initial pre-carry test, make sure to load each magazine that you'll be carrying to capacity, and then shoot them empty at least once to make sure that you don't have any mag issues.

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flintknapper »

Nice weapon.

Clean and lube it well before heading to the range (do not neglect this).

Para's are CNC'd pretty tight and work best with quite a bit of oil/grease during the break in period.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Topic author
quicksaveme

Post by quicksaveme »

thanks for the advice guys. I haven't started carrying it yet. I have lubed it up and its sitting in my desk waiting to take it out at lunch. I'm going to do just as the manual says. Put 30 rounds through. Clean and relube, then 100 rounds and clean and relube again.

Then I'll start carring. I figure that will be.....tomorrow! lol :lol:

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flintknapper »

As already suggested, make sure it will feed your "carry ammo".

My daughters "Carry 9" has fed everything we've tried in it with no problems (including empties). But.... not all pistols will do that. Some are picky about what ammo they will feed reliably.

I know you are anxious to carry it, but I wouldn't consider doing that... until the weapon had several hundred "bobble free" rounds through it.

Just my .0002
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Topic author
quicksaveme

Post by quicksaveme »

Thanks again for the tips. Went to the range again after work and put about 150 rounds through it. Got better and better as it went on. I brought it home and cleaned her up real good and oiled her down for the next range session. I'll probaby try carrying around my XD for a couple more days until my hawg is broken in perfectly.

ForbidInjustice

Post by ForbidInjustice »

Hey, nice keyboard! What is that, an iMac?

Oh, nice firearm too. I've been looking to get a new one.. a .45 just seems so big for me, but maybe not. I just priced your gun at $800.. no way! Not ready to drop that kind of money, but maybe I'll find a nice used one. Great looking holster, too!
- Dre
- Fort Hood, Texas
- http://www.dhs.gov

Where two discourse, if the one's anger rise, the man who lets the contest fall is wise.

Walkin' Jack

Post by Walkin' Jack »

Great looking pistol and it looks like it rides and hides great in that pic. Congratulations on your new ChL and a fine looking rig. We'll be a lookin' fer a range report real soon. :smile:
"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Chruchill

Mac Truck

Post by Mac Truck »

That's one fine pistola! I can't say enough good things about the Para's. The only things to really watch are to make sure you fire at least 300 rounds through it before making it your every day carry, and oil it to the point where you think its too oiled, then oil it some more.

For some crazy reason, the Para's "magic number" seems to be 300. We had a guy in here the other day that bought a new Nite Hawg and it jammed 10 times out of the first 100 shots fired. He was FURIOUS. A cop that was in here told the guy to fire 200 more rounds through it. I swear to you, at 300 rounds EXACTLY, there hasn't been another misfeed, failed ejection, stovepipe, or any other malfunction since, and the guy has now put over 1000 rounds through it.

I'm not a big 1911 guy, but I actually love the Para Big Hawg.
Shiloh Indoor Shooting Range NOW OPEN!
12703 Shiloh Church Rd Houston,TX 77066
(281)520-1038 EVERYONE welcome!
http://www.shilohshooting.com
Reasonably priced ammo, great target selection!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”