Are you prepared while at the range? When leaving?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

packina45
Posts in topic: 1

Post by packina45 »

I frequently shoot my carry weapon at the range, but always have a full mag of my carry ammo on my left hip. I'm lucky enough to have a membership at a range that supports the concept of tactical pistol, so taking the pistol in and out of the holster isn't an issue. When I move down to the rifle portion of the range, my carry weapon is loaded and concealed.
CHL timeline: 43 days mailbox to mailbox

Smokewagon

Post by Smokewagon »

I carry concealed to the range, while at the range, and on the way home from the range. :txflag:
Texas friendly, spoken here.

CompVest
Posts in topic: 3

Post by CompVest »

ScubaSigGuy,

I am not talking about being in condition red. Condition red is a state of flight or flight and can't be maintained for long. I am talking about condition yellow which I believe everyone awake should be in. Yellow is being aware of your surroundings so you can act to good things or bad things if you need to.

When at ranges where I don't know the training of others on the range I click yellow up a little by continually reminding myself to stay alert. I need to do this because when shooting my attention is focused on my front sight.

Topic author
ScubaSigGuy
Posts in topic: 5

Post by ScubaSigGuy »

CompVest wrote:ScubaSigGuy,

I am not talking about being in condition red. Condition red is a state of flight or flight and can't be maintained for long. I am talking about condition yellow which I believe everyone awake should be in. Yellow is being aware of your surroundings so you can act to good things or bad things if you need to.

When at ranges where I don't know the training of others on the range I click yellow up a little by continually reminding myself to stay alert. I need to do this because when shooting my attention is focused on my front sight.
We are on the same page. :grin:

It was more my wording than anyhting else. I wasn't picking on you. The "clicking it up a notch" is exactly what I was referring to. Maybe condition orange?
S.S.G.

"A champion doesn’t become a champion in the ring. He is merely recognized in the ring.The ‘becoming’ happens during his daily routine." Joe Louis

NRA MEMBER

CompVest
Posts in topic: 3

Post by CompVest »

Didn't think I was being picked on just didn't want to be misunderstood. I just stay in yellow at the range.

I have gone into condition orange at a range before. When I looked up and saw a rifle pointed at me! A safety mistake the guy didn't do again.

flb_78

Post by flb_78 »

At the only outdoor range that I have access to, you're not allowed to even handle your magazine during every 10 minute cease-fire. You unload the gun and leave it open before anyone is allowed downrange. I'm not too worried about it.

PAR

Post by PAR »

Far from here but a lesson no doubt,

http://www.local6.com/news/10962467/detail.html

POSTED: 10:36 am EST February 8, 2007
UPDATED: 3:37 pm EST February 8, 2007

OVIEDO, Fla. -- Two people were robbed in their driveway at gunpoint in Oviedo Sunday afternoon after police said they were targeted while leaving a gun range.

The robbery happened about 4:30 p.m. in the driveway of a house in the Kingsbridge West neighborhood, police said.

The unidentified victims were approached by four black males, who were described as being in their late teens, after returning home from the Central Florida Gun Range, according to police.

The assailants forced the victims to the ground and stole several items from them, including two semiautomatic handguns from the trunk of their car, police said.

Police said security video from the gun range shows who they believe are the culprits involved in the robbery.

Police said the assailants were driving a dark green, four-door, mid-90s model Honda Accord with a temporary tag attached to the rear of the vehicle. The windows of the vehicle are darkly tinted.

The victims were not injured.

Anyone with information about this incident is urged to call CrimeLine 800-423-TIPS.

propellerhead

Post by propellerhead »

PAR wrote:Far from here but a lesson no doubt,

http://www.local6.com/news/10962467/detail.html

POSTED: 10:36 am EST February 8, 2007
UPDATED: 3:37 pm EST February 8, 2007

OVIEDO, Fla. -- Two people were robbed in their driveway at gunpoint in Oviedo Sunday afternoon after police said they were targeted while leaving a gun range.

<snip>
Ever since this happened, I'm always carrying when I am leaving the gun range.

age_ranger

Post by age_ranger »

I don't do anyting different when it comes to indoor/outdoor ranges unless it has to do with attire to stay warm. I always carry at the range prior, during and after shooting. Sometimes the scariest people on earth ARE the ones with guns. I feel I always maintain a higher state of situational awareness than most people and credit my Military service with that one. I agree........most people I see at the range DO unload and/or don't carry while there......or maybe I just don't see their CCW because they've chosen a great carry holster/pistol combo. I'm hoping it's the latter................
http://www.berettaforum.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just remember: Your very best thinking got you where you are now!!!

CaptDave

Post by CaptDave »

For those of you interested, here's the "Color Code" in it's original form, from the guy who wrote it, Jeff Cooper, straight from the famous "Wednesday lecture.":

White - Relaxed, unaware, and unprepared. If attacked in this state the only thing that may save you is the inadequacy and ineptitude of your attacker. When confronted by something nasty your reaction will probably be, "Oh my God! This can't be happening to me."

Yellow - Relaxed alertness. No specific threat situation. Your mindset is that "today could be the day I may have to defend myself." There is no specific threat but you are aware that the world is an unfriendly place and that you are prepared to do something if necessary. You use your eyes and ears, and your carriage says "I am alert." You don't have to be armed in this state but if you are armed you must be in yellow. When confronted by something nasty your reaction will probably be, "I thought this might happen some day." You can live in this state indefinitely.

Orange - Specific alert. Something not quite right has gotten your attention and you shift your primary focus to that thing. Something is "wrong" with a person or object. Something may happen. Your mindset is that "I may have to shoot that person." Your pistol is usually holstered in this state. You can maintain this state for several hours with ease, or a day or so with effort.

Red - Fight trigger. This is your mental trigger. "If that person does "x" I will shoot them." Your pistol may, but not necessarily, be in your hand.
"An armed society is a polite society"

Topic author
ScubaSigGuy
Posts in topic: 5

Post by ScubaSigGuy »

CaptDave wrote:For those of you interested, here's the "Color Code" in it's original form, from the guy who wrote it, Jeff Cooper, straight from the famous "Wednesday lecture.":

White - Relaxed, unaware, and unprepared. If attacked in this state the only thing that may save you is the inadequacy and ineptitude of your attacker. When confronted by something nasty your reaction will probably be, "Oh my God! This can't be happening to me."

Yellow - Relaxed alertness. No specific threat situation. Your mindset is that "today could be the day I may have to defend myself." There is no specific threat but you are aware that the world is an unfriendly place and that you are prepared to do something if necessary. You use your eyes and ears, and your carriage says "I am alert." You don't have to be armed in this state but if you are armed you must be in yellow. When confronted by something nasty your reaction will probably be, "I thought this might happen some day." You can live in this state indefinitely.

Orange - Specific alert. Something not quite right has gotten your attention and you shift your primary focus to that thing. Something is "wrong" with a person or object. Something may happen. Your mindset is that "I may have to shoot that person." Your pistol is usually holstered in this state. You can maintain this state for several hours with ease, or a day or so with effort.

Red - Fight trigger. This is your mental trigger. "If that person does "x" I will shoot them." Your pistol may, but not necessarily, be in your hand.

Great post.
S.S.G.

"A champion doesn’t become a champion in the ring. He is merely recognized in the ring.The ‘becoming’ happens during his daily routine." Joe Louis

NRA MEMBER

Lonegun1894

Post by Lonegun1894 »

i always keep an extra gun on me, and any time i shoot my main weapon, it is replaced by another loaded one on my body, sometimes concealed, sometimes not.
Paul
USN/USMC '00-'05
CHL/NRA/Hunter Safety instructor
TCLEOSE

starrbuck

Post by starrbuck »

seamusTX wrote:
ScubaSigGuy wrote:I try to do the same, but there are different levels of preparedness, right? You can't stay in condition red 100% of the time, can you?
Condition red means that you have identified an imminent threat.
Actually, Orange means you have identified the threat, and Red means you have engaged him (or her).
Springfield XD(m) 9mm 3.8 | Springfield XD-45 Compact | Springfield XD-9 Service
Kimber Pro CDP II .45 ACP | Kimber Pro Aegis II 9mm w/Crimson Trace | Walther PPS 9mm
Bushmaster AR-15 w/Magpul pistol grip and foregrip, Bushnell holosight

I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop.

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

I generally keep one effective defensive gun loaded all the time. Either a handgun or a shotgun, but since I shoot my primary carry every time I go to the range, it's usually a matter of loading a secondary gun, switching the primary to practice ammo, and shooting it, then reloading it with defensive ammo before switching the secondary.

Since I do as much of my practice as possible either on secluded private property or at ranges on low-traffic days, I might appear to be a desirable target for someone doing some gun-shopping. I also unload anything I'm not carrying to the line with me to make sure I don't accidentally arm my opponent. (Sure, the ammo's there too, but can they load a mag faster than I can use a loaded gun? I primarily use electronic muffs, and can hear squirrels running around the area between shots, so they better be real quiet if they're sneaking up.)

QuackAddict

Post by QuackAddict »

The range I currently frequent is also isolated and seldom visited. The gun shop part of it is also closed during the early part of the week, which sometimes means when I'm there I am often there alone, or with only a couple of other shooters. Here's my drill. When I show up, I get out of my vehicle, ascertain how many people are there. I look around, just to see if there is anyone downrange or hiding in the port'o'can.
After everything looks Ok, then i'll get out my firearms and take them to either the pistol range, or the rifle range. I keep one pistol concealed at all times. If I'm shooting rifles, and for some reason need to go downrange, my rifle goes with me, bolt open and cleared. This way I can ensure I have it in my posession when I return to the rifle bench, and if anyone wants to steal from me when my back is turned, all they're getting is a rifle rest, and a box or two of ammo. I also check my six often while downrange, and wear some bright colored shirt or ballcap to increase my visibility.
I do, however, prefer going with a buddy, so that they can stay with the firearms at the rifle bench, and warn/advise and shooters just coming to the range that someone is downrange, and prevent any mishap. Also, I can also chide them when they miss the 500-yard sillouhette ram.
I am aware of my surroundings at all times, and am concealed and ready to go uopn leaving the range.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”