Small slim guns have ruined me!

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

John Galt
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Small slim guns have ruined me!

Post by John Galt »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:59 am
Terryr21 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:33 pm I'm a pretty slim guy and I carry IWB. When I first got my LTC I appendix carried a USP compact. I hated having to adjust every time I sat down or bend over, so the USP compact became my nightstand gun and I got a P30sk which I IWB'd at 4:00. Comfort was vastly improved until the P365 came out (traded the P30sk), and that's been my carry gun ever since.
One of my early carry guns was a USP Compact .40 cal, which I carried both IWB and OWB. I really like the gun, but didn’t like the caliber, so I sold it and bought a M&P45....which I still own but no longer carry. The USP Compact is a great platform. If I had bought mine in 9mm or .45 ACP instead, I’d most likely still have it today. I’m a lefty, so mine had an ambidextrous safety/decocker, and I had also installed a slightly lighter hammer spring to lighten up the DA trigger pull a noticeable amount. But I really liked that I could safely carry it either decocked or cocked and locked. Since my other carry gun at the time was a 1911, I tended to carry the USP cocked and locked; and I used the decocker primarily when carrying the gun off-body (rarely), or when manipulating the gun for unloading, cleaning, etc. But I always thought that was a convenient feature.

I probably wouldn’t run out and buy another new USP Compact today (do they even still make them?), primarily because I’m already pretty well invested in Glocks of different sizes, and I don’t really need another polymer carry pistol in any caliber. By the same token, I regret selling off that pistol, even if I hated the caliber. It’s a really neat platform....accurate, and reliable. I might consider buying a used one in 9mm down the road if the price were right.
I have become a fan of the 43X with the Shield 15 round mag. I went to the range this week and shot using 4 S15 mags and all worked perfectly.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

John Galt wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:56 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:59 am
Terryr21 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:33 pm I'm a pretty slim guy and I carry IWB. When I first got my LTC I appendix carried a USP compact. I hated having to adjust every time I sat down or bend over, so the USP compact became my nightstand gun and I got a P30sk which I IWB'd at 4:00. Comfort was vastly improved until the P365 came out (traded the P30sk), and that's been my carry gun ever since.
One of my early carry guns was a USP Compact .40 cal, which I carried both IWB and OWB. I really like the gun, but didn’t like the caliber, so I sold it and bought a M&P45....which I still own but no longer carry. The USP Compact is a great platform. If I had bought mine in 9mm or .45 ACP instead, I’d most likely still have it today. I’m a lefty, so mine had an ambidextrous safety/decocker, and I had also installed a slightly lighter hammer spring to lighten up the DA trigger pull a noticeable amount. But I really liked that I could safely carry it either decocked or cocked and locked. Since my other carry gun at the time was a 1911, I tended to carry the USP cocked and locked; and I used the decocker primarily when carrying the gun off-body (rarely), or when manipulating the gun for unloading, cleaning, etc. But I always thought that was a convenient feature.

I probably wouldn’t run out and buy another new USP Compact today (do they even still make them?), primarily because I’m already pretty well invested in Glocks of different sizes, and I don’t really need another polymer carry pistol in any caliber. By the same token, I regret selling off that pistol, even if I hated the caliber. It’s a really neat platform....accurate, and reliable. I might consider buying a used one in 9mm down the road if the price were right.
I have become a fan of the 43X with the Shield 15 round mag. I went to the range this week and shot using 4 S15 mags and all worked perfectly.
Yeah, my next pistol will be either the 43x or a 48, and I’ll buy a bunch of those S15 mags.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

SpringerFan

Post by SpringerFan »

My jacked up back won't allow me to all-day carry anything heavier than my G43. I can carry my BBQ 1911 rig for about as long as it takes me to make the potato salad. Then I'm aching for something lighter. Getting old rocks. :sad:
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
Col. Jeff Cooper

Scott

Post by Scott »

I also recently picked up a 43x and the shield magazines. After many years of carrying a G23 and G27 I was wanting to return to 9mm. I have really been enjoying shooting the 43x and have had zero problem with the shield mags. It's now my daily carry. I highly recommend one. I had a friend pick one up the same day as me and he has also been very happy.

Scott

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”