Stimulus checks

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Rafe
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Stimulus checks

Post by Rafe »

KC5AV wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:19 pm
PriestTheRunner wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:05 am I don't want to be mean guys, but if someone is on Social Security, and has no job- Why do they need a stimulus check? The SS income is exactly the same as it was before and you haven't lost income from lost work?

Somebody break it down for me, because all I can smell is a redistribution of wealth from future generations.
The argument is that the check is to stimulate the economy, so even those who aren’t making an income get the check so they can help stimulate said economy.
:iagree: And if you do the math, most of us will have significantly more paid into Social Security during our lifetimes than we'll withdraw in retirement benefits. Current withholding is 6.2% from you plus 6.2% from your employer up to $137,700 (plus a 1.45% tax on all your earnings goes to Medicare, but we won't count that). To keep the math simple, let's call it 11% total for an average of $80,000 a year in salary/income, and let's say you put in a 47-year career, retire at 68, and start taking retirement benefits. That means $413,600 was paid into Social Security for retirement during the course of your career. Not future money, past money. And Social Security has been steadily dissincenting earlier retirement. In 1961 it became possible to begin claiming benefits at age 62...but the amount was significantly reduced proportionately to the earlier age, and then remained unchanged for your lifetime. In 1983 a law raised the full retirement age from 65 to 67 for people born 1960 or later, and to 66 for people born before 1960. If you want maximum retirement benefits--"full" retirement numbers plus a little more--you now have to wait until you're 70.

Social Security checks start to themselves become taxable if your adjusted gross income (to include both taxable and nontaxable interest plus any part-time side gigs you might have in retirement) plus half your Social Security payments total over $25,000 a year gross. If that total is over $34,000, 85% of your Social Security payments are taxable income. So you're still payin' back into the system, baby.

The average monthly retirement payment for a male right now is $1,503. But you had a good career so let's assume you're pulling in $2,083 a month, or right at $25,000 a year. The average life expectancy of a male in the U.S. is about 78.5 years. So you'll get 10.5 years of payments, or 126 months at $2,083 a month. That's $262,458 of the $413,600 already paid into the system. Of course, if your spouse survives you, she's entitled to a payment, but she's already probably 78 herself. Let's subtract another $50,000 to make up for that. So about $262,500 + $50,000 = $312,500 paid out of $413,600 paid in. There should be an extra 100 grand in the system, net-net.

And I don't know about anyone else, but I have a feeling that if I were given that $413,600 up front, with some really conservative investing I could have probably grown the nest egg over the intervening 47 years. At a measly 0.5% average annual interest compounded yearly for 47 years, the total would be $522,860. The federal government probably didn't make a dime on those paid-in funds, probably lost money. But that isn't the worker's fault.

So if the system worked the way it was originally intended, I'd say that on average each retiree would kick the bucket with more money paid into the fund than were paid out in retirement benefits. In other words, previous generations helping to insure the viability of Social Security for future generations, not the other way around. We ain't ending up with those kinds of surpluses, but that isn't the fault of the business and the retiree who each paid significant amounts into the fund with every paycheck. It's the fault of federal management. That's why I've always had a personal issue with Social Security retirement benefits being lumped in under the term "entitlements" with Welfare and Medicaid. Welfare and Medicaid aren't the result of what you've already paid in. Other than some valid disability issues, they've become a gift that incentivizes those on the dole to not only stay on the dole but to keep having kids so that can get even more dole money. If they start actually working for a living, the dole money dries up.

By 2015 data, the average employed U.S. adult works 1,811.16 hours per year. That seems a very low number from personal experience, but over a 47-year career even that comes to 85,125 hours. With every single one of those hours--plus taxable investments--retirees paid into the Social Security fund. To me, that retirement benefit is vastly different than a hand-out.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Nuts
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Nuts »

No matter how much I don’t like this stimulus package complaining here doesn’t do anything about it. I’ve already contacted my reps in Washington and let them know my feelings.

Back on topic

Got mine in my bank yesterday. Ordered and picked up a foxtrot mike fm9 with a 7” barrel and a sig Romeo red dot. The rest will be stashed in my coffee can in the next door neighbors back yard after I can make it to the bank.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

Rafe wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:48 pm
And I don't know about anyone else, but I have a feeling that if I were given that $413,600 up front, with some really conservative investing I could have probably grown the nest egg over the intervening 47 years. At a measly 0.5% average annual interest compounded yearly for 47 years, the total would be $522,860. The federal government probably didn't make a dime on those paid-in funds, probably lost money. But that isn't the worker's fault.
Great post. For me I'll sum it up this way. I am 54 right now. Today I would sign an agreement that if the Fed would allow me to drop out of SS program and they would stop taking SS money out of my paycheck I would forgo any SS amount they owe me. I still think I would come out ahead.
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Syntyr wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:58 pm
Great post. For me I'll sum it up this way. I am 54 right now. Today I would sign an agreement that if the Fed would allow me to drop out of SS program and they would stop taking SS money out of my paycheck I would forgo any SS amount they owe me. I still think I would come out ahead.
:iagree:
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Texas_Blaze

Post by Texas_Blaze »

Being furloughed for two weeks. The $3k almost covers one week’s pay. So I’m paying bills and groceries.
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

PriestTheRunner
Posts in topic: 2

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Syntyr wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:58 pm
I would ABSOLUTELY take the deal to opt out of SS.

Oddly enough, colleges and universities (among a few select other institutions) were allowed to opt-out of SS when it was enacted. I worked at a local Community College for a while. They had elected to use private 401k (not pensions) for all employees. It was nice to see those taxes not coming out of my check.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

My wife and I finally got our check today—$2,400. Debating whether to bank it, or use to reduce some debt. Sure as heck not going to run out and spend it on toys.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Checked IRS.gov and saw that ours would hit the bank May 6. The contract on which I was working ended Sep 23, 2019. Seems no one wants an old, broken down, artilleryman. So, I retired about 1 year before we had planned. God's taking good care of us. This money will go to continue to reduce debt so that we can continue to improve our financial position.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

oljames3 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 4:54 pm Checked IRS.gov and saw that ours would hit the bank May 6. The contract on which I was working ended Sep 23, 2019. Seems no one wants an old, broken down, artilleryman. So, I retired about 1 year before we had planned. God's taking good care of us. This money will go to continue to reduce debt so that we can continue to improve our financial position.
Ours was a paper check in the mail, complete with the Donald's name on it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by carlson1 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 4:36 pm My wife and I finally got our check today—$2,400. Debating whether to bank it, or use to reduce some debt. Sure as heck not going to run out and spend it on toys.
Ours came finally. We paid off the credit card I use for medicine and paid on another card then we banked the rest. Not about to “just buy” something.

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

I also paid off credit card debt with my stimulus.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 14

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Hot diggity Dawg! I got a check today ! I did not think I was getting one. I only got 750 but hey, I will take it! I would like to thank chamberc for his contribution to my stimulus money. :mrgreen: You are alright by me.

Business has been slow so far this year so I won't be doing any extravagant buying. I'll just put it in the bank and will keep paying my bills as usual. LOL... my daughter told me I should save it to help pay my 2019 tax bill. The government giveth and then taketh right back out of my other hand. Haha...

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 5:01 pm
oljames3 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 4:54 pm Checked IRS.gov and saw that ours would hit the bank May 6. The contract on which I was working ended Sep 23, 2019. Seems no one wants an old, broken down, artilleryman. So, I retired about 1 year before we had planned. God's taking good care of us. This money will go to continue to reduce debt so that we can continue to improve our financial position.
Cool. I would like to have Trump's autograph. We got ours by direct deposit.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

kayt00

Post by kayt00 »

oljames3 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:05 am
The Annoyed Man wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 5:01 pm
Cool. I would like to have Trump's autograph. We got ours by direct deposit.
Got ours via direct deposit as well but still got the letter a few days later.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
All lost in a tragic kayaking incident.
Bring back BitterClinger

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”