Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Why Talk Of ‘Shot Placement’ Can Be Pretty Stupid

Post by Pawpaw »

https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2019/02/1 ... ty-stupid/
One of the banes of every gun forum moderator has to be the inevitable caliber wars. The ugliest tend to be 9mm versus .45 ACP.

As a 9mm guy, I used to enjoy those arguments. It was awesome to get in there and slug it out with the .45 lovers and all that, but as I matured, I learned that one of the more popular arguments in favor of my preferred caliber is pretty dumb.

This came to a head after I witnessed yet another caliber war in a Facebook group and then touched on some things in a post from earlier today that may not look related from the outside, but was.

You see, when a .45 guy claims that 9mm is too small, some 9mm proponent will counter with how shot placement is what matters.

Folks, that’s an idiotic argument to make, and here’s why.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

G26ster

Re: Why Talk Of ‘Shot Placement’ Can Be Pretty Stupid

Post by G26ster »

Pawpaw wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:13 pm https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2019/02/1 ... ty-stupid/
One of the banes of every gun forum moderator has to be the inevitable caliber wars. The ugliest tend to be 9mm versus .45 ACP.

As a 9mm guy, I used to enjoy those arguments. It was awesome to get in there and slug it out with the .45 lovers and all that, but as I matured, I learned that one of the more popular arguments in favor of my preferred caliber is pretty dumb.

This came to a head after I witnessed yet another caliber war in a Facebook group and then touched on some things in a post from earlier today that may not look related from the outside, but was.

You see, when a .45 guy claims that 9mm is too small, some 9mm proponent will counter with how shot placement is what matters.

Folks, that’s an idiotic argument to make, and here’s why.
Agree with just about everything he said. In real life or death situations, it all changes.

Liberty

Re: Why Talk Of ‘Shot Placement’ Can Be Pretty Stupid

Post by Liberty »

Internet discussions that turn into arguments tend to be pointless. Most gun platforms and ammo choices are an engineering trade-off. The issues of what factors are more important depend on factors that can only be decided by the end user.

Discussions that dispassionately discuss benefits and acknowledge weakness can be informative. Internet squabbles about winning an argument by getting the last word are a waste of time. Reasonable discussions of strengths and weaknesses are interesting and help us when we shopping and considering changes.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”