FFL Transfer

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Pariah3j
Posts in topic: 4

FFL Transfer

Post by Pariah3j »

Hoping to get some info from the board, looking at buying one of the Walther PPS to add to my collection, the 100 rebate makes it too good to pass up.

That being said, I've found a couple prices online that I like and I am looking at doing an FFL Transfer - I've never done one of these so I'm looking for any advice for things to watch out for, avoid, etc.

And I would also like to ask anyone on the South-East side of Houston has any preferred FFL dealers they can recommend ?
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Odiferous
Posts in topic: 2

Re: FFL Transfer

Post by Odiferous »

SE Houston covers a lot of ground, but I just picked up a transfer from Patriot Defense in Kemah. Small shop, friendly folks, and called to make sure I'd seen it was delivered and to offer to wait for me when they were trying to close up so I didn't have to wait to get my new gun.

FCH
Posts in topic: 1

Post by FCH »

I'm certainly no expert but the process is that the seller needs to see the Federal Firearms License (FFL) which also includes a shipping address.

On-line sellers like Buds Gun Shop and Gun Broker have a list of FFLs they have on file. If the FFL you want to use is on the list, you normally do not have to do anything. I would still contact the FFL by email or phone and check with them.

If there is no list or your FFL is not on the list, you will have to contact your chosen FFL and have them FAX or email a copy of their FFL to the seller.

FFLs usually charge a fee. It is advisable to find out that fee before using their services.
NRA Member
TSRA Member

Topic author
Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

Odiferous wrote:SE Houston covers a lot of ground, but I just picked up a transfer from Patriot Defense in Kemah. Small shop, friendly folks, and called to make sure I'd seen it was delivered and to offer to wait for me when they were trying to close up so I didn't have to wait to get my new gun.
You are correct, I thought I mentioned the Webster/Friendswood area, but I will keep Patriot Defense in mind, Kemah isn't so far away. Do you remember what they charged for the Transfer ?
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Odiferous
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Odiferous »

Pariah3j wrote:
Odiferous wrote:SE Houston covers a lot of ground, but I just picked up a transfer from Patriot Defense in Kemah. Small shop, friendly folks, and called to make sure I'd seen it was delivered and to offer to wait for me when they were trying to close up so I didn't have to wait to get my new gun.
You are correct, I thought I mentioned the Webster/Friendswood area, but I will keep Patriot Defense in mind, Kemah isn't so far away. Do you remember what they charged for the Transfer ?
I think it was $20 for LTC holders. Dunno the "regular" price.

Jigo23

Post by Jigo23 »

When buying guns on the internet and having them transferred to a local dealer was still a relatively new thing, a lot of dealers would handle the transfer but usually were less than thrilled about it. They might grumble about not buying a gun in their shop as you were filling out the paperwork, but they'd still take your $35-$40 for doing 10 mins of paperwork (less if you had a carry license). Now days though, it's pretty common place and most dealers don't charge more than $20-$25 at most. One thing I did always do that helped make it a better experience, was to buy some ammo or accessories or cleaning supplies etc and that always smoothed the way for future transfers. Although certainly not required, if I am using the same dealer mostly to do my transfers, I will buy a gun in their shop also from time to time. At the end of the day though, I just keep in mind that with my carry license, they are making a damn quick and easy $20 and most all dealers look at it the same way nowadays. One thing you definitely should do st least the first few times with the same dealer is call ahead before you place an order be ask them if they would mind doing a transfer for you, then place the order. I also follow up with a quick message when your firearm ships and via which carrier just so when it shows up, they'll be expecting it. Also, when you get a notice or check the tracking and see it's been delivered don't immediately rush over to the shop or call and asking ok where's my gun. Give them some time because they have to do the paperwork transferring the gun into their possession before they're ready to transfer to you. Just common courtesy and communication is the key. It's a very simple easy process now so no sweat.
If ya wanna run with the big dogs, ya gotta get off the porch!
"I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it"
- Ranger Capt Woodrow F. Call

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Jigo23 wrote:When buying guns on the internet and having them transferred to a local dealer was still a relatively new thing, a lot of dealers would handle the transfer but usually were less than thrilled about it. They might grumble about not buying a gun in their shop as you were filling out the paperwork, but they'd still take your $35-$40 for doing 10 mins of paperwork (less if you had a carry license). Now days though, it's pretty common place and most dealers don't charge more than $20-$25 at most. One thing I did always do that helped make it a better experience, was to buy some ammo or accessories or cleaning supplies etc and that always smoothed the way for future transfers. Although certainly not required, if I am using the same dealer mostly to do my transfers, I will buy a gun in their shop also from time to time. At the end of the day though, I just keep in mind that with my carry license, they are making a darn quick and easy $20 and most all dealers look at it the same way nowadays. One thing you definitely should do st least the first few times with the same dealer is call ahead before you place an order be ask them if they would mind doing a transfer for you, then place the order. I also follow up with a quick message when your firearm ships and via which carrier just so when it shows up, they'll be expecting it. Also, when you get a notice or check the tracking and see it's been delivered don't immediately rush over to the shop or call and asking ok where's my gun. Give them some time because they have to do the paperwork transferring the gun into their possession before they're ready to transfer to you. Just common courtesy and communication is the key. It's a very simple easy process now so no sweat.
:iagree: with everything above.

I do a fair amount of transfers. Simple and easy. Should cost anywhere from $20-$30. When you are checking out online, there will be a list of FFL dealers the site has on file. Just call the one closest to you (the list usually has the phone number) and verify their fee. There are a few that are exorbitant ($75 +) so avoid those. Pick one near you, and they should give you a call when your gun gets there.

Topic author
Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

Thanks everyone for the replies and advice.

I originally found a FFL near me on the list on the retailer's site that was nearby, their website suggested they did $15 transfers for CHL/LTC holders. But I called to try and confirm that they would be able to do the transfer, etc - no answer, VM inbox was full. I waited a little while thinking maybe it's just a busy day, tried again 2 more times, the same thing. Ended up calling another shop near me, I've done business with them and they said they would gladly do the transfer for 25. 10 bucks more is worth it for having a reliable and friendly place to pick it up, called the retailer to change the FFL on my order and the customer service lady informed me that I wasn't the only person she knows of having difficulties getting ahold of the original vendor. Glad I dodged that 'bullet'.

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

I've found places near me charging up to $50 for a transfer. There's an FFL less than a mile as the crow flies from my house who can hear it when I'm shooting, but because of the roads it takes about 5 minutes to get there. He charges $25 & lets me pick them up later hours. A local gunsmith only takes $15 because he makes his money with the smith work.

Unfortunately for you this is a few hundred mikes from SE Houston.

STEELTRIP1N

Post by STEELTRIP1N »

BEST SHOT RANGE

Topic author
Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

STEELTRIP1N wrote:BEST SHOT RANGE
A little more expensive then Battle Rifle Company(that's who I ended up using) and not as convenient. I can walk to BRC if I wanted... not going to do that because of the way people drive on Medical Center Blvd and El Camino, but I could :mrgreen: . May have to check out the range though, If I like it, might be worth the membership.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”